Sunday, May 31, 2020

A SURPRISE BIRD IN MY BIRD COUNT

   Most of you know that I am a birder. I do Christmas and spring bird counts. I've done the Christmas count over 40 times and all in the same area.

    Yesterday was a very good count day for me. I saw more than 18 species. Well, how do you know that? At this time of year there are many warblers here. They are hard to spot among all the fresh green foliage. I can recognize one warbler species by sound. There were several warbler calls that I could not recognize nor find them. There were also some sparrows that fly up quickly from a patch of brush and just as quickly settle in another patch of brush. So there were probably 5 or 6 more species that I couldn't identify. So I consider that I had a very good count.

    The count started off well before I ever left my yard, I heard a flock of Canada geese. They were quite high up and flying directly north. So that was easy. 

    On my way home in the afternoon I stopped on my favorite walking bridge to rest and also watch for birds.

     Here I am on the bridge watching for birds , but the photo is at least 20 years ago.



    A woman came along with a very attractive spaniel. We got talking about dogs birds and other things. We had been talking about 15 minutes when in one part of the conversation she said she was brought up in one of the nearby houses. Since I've lived in the same area for 50 years I would probably know her family so I asked who her family was. Yes, I knew them well. So she told me she was J. Now , I said you know me. Do you know who I am? Of course, she didn't have a clue since she hadn't seen me for about 40 years. So I introduced myself. 

    I had taught J and her brother and sisters.

   So now the conversation really got started. It was great to meet J and recall old times.

   Did I also tell you that I like meeting old students.?

34 comments:

  1. I smiled at your "old students" comment. We usually refer to them as "former" students, but by now they are likely to be "old" too.
    Those LGB's are hard to identify. (Little Gray Birds)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not the only one to get after me about the old students comment. One of my former students also pointed it out.

      Delete
  2. You can tell a good teacher by the way they talk about their former students, in my opinion. They liked their students and it shows. Those are the teachers I remember!

    We were seeing quite a few geese a couple of months back. I could hear them honking as they passed over, even after dark, which surprised me. Are the geese you saw going much further for the season?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think these geese may be headed as far as the Arctic. They do fly quite late into the evening.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely way to spend your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That meeting was a bonus to a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a good bonus. Her Dad was a physician and we sometimes went to him when our own physician was unavailable.

      Delete
  5. I would imagine that it is a real delight to meet former students, especially the ones you remember. I have never been a formal teacher, but I have mentored several students and the other day one of them showed up at my door with a painting of a Barn Swallow she had created for me. I was thrilled as you might imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share your thrill! It's a great feeling.

      Delete
  6. Hello, it is a small world and very nice you met an old neighbor. I missed most of the warblers, they were moving through during our quarantine and park closures. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun! It's so easy birding in early May here. No leaves. It's really tricky, now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the pleasure with no leaves. These little guys show up when the leaves are new.

      Delete
  8. What a great story. I love that old photo of you on the bridge. A true birder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good place to watch birds as they fly back and forth across the creek.

      Delete
  9. Well that was quite a "find," wasn't it? I'm so glad you got to catch up with a former student. That must have been rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, she's even going to check out my blog.

      Delete
  10. I miss meeting old students since we moved to another province. It was always good to see them as adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have remained in the same area so I do run into a few former students.

      Delete
  11. How sweet it must be to see old students so much later in life. I'm sure it was something she enjoyed as well. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a pleasure. One of our councilors is a former student.

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful surprise to meet up with a former student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a big surprise for both of us.

      Delete
  13. Since I have stayed in the same area , I do meet some former students.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a nice meeting for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not a teacher. Must be cool to occasionally meet up with an old student, or as you say, nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You never know who you might meet when out and about and this was certainly a nice unexpected, but fun meeting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, that is fun! What a lovely encounter you had.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh gracious! That is so awesome! How wonderful to meet an old student. I've just had it happen when I lived in Illinois. One of my old students did send me a book he wrote that was published. Needless to say, I was very proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How fascinating dear Red

    Hubby have so many students around many of them are sou job in other cities
    While visiting Islamabad specially parks or malls it is great surprise for him tender with very old students

    I also visit few of my old teachers when go to my native town
    It is always pleasure

    ReplyDelete