Sunday, November 20, 2011

Could the Approach of Winter Be Just a Little Kinder?

        Now I know that asking the weather to do something is totally useless. As useless as my dog howling at the moon! As useless as a rain dance! (Although I could get a strenuous argument on this one. )


       I would really like winter to approach a little meeker or a little kinder. 


        It seems that winter has to hit me with a big bang. Winter has to crash upon me and I don't have time to become accustomed to the harsh temperatures. Later in the winter minus 18 for a daytime high will not be noticed. All of a sudden in the last three days our daytime highs have been minus 18 C(minus 5 F), cloudy and a little wind. When you first go out in these conditions it hits you and makes your body hurt. I would prefer to have the days become gradually cooler and then I would automatically adjust to the temperature and be comfortable.


      So to fight the harsh conditions head on I went out yesterday. I walked to the mall (1.625 Km or 1 mile) I found conditions to be quite reasonable. I was comfortable and enjoyed the walk. On the way I saw a high flying flock of geese as well as a very large coyote right on the trail less than 50 m (160 ft) from me. I respect coyotes and won't tempt them . This one hastily went into the bush and disappeared. 


     My walk took me to the local mall where I was volunteering to man the Nature Center's book store. My time at the mall was great fun. Four hours later I had the pleasure of walking home in the same conditions. There was camera in my pocket with the message "batteries too low." I guess the camera batteries didn't like the cold either.


    Now when I really stop and think about winter coming with a bang  the worst part is sitting in the house and watching it! 

12 comments:

  1. Brrr! Now that is COLD, Red. I moved away from Colorado to avoid just those temperatures. Here in the Pacific Northwest it does get cold, and it seems even colder sometimes, but nothing like that.

    We've got wind and rain headed our way, our first Pineapple Express of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make an excellent point.
    I was fixing up festive decorations and it was quite cold. But I was warm in my heart!
    Cheers from Cottage Country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not fond of winter either but have learned to get the best out of it with the proper clothes and the use of my camera. It's what gets me out there, and if I find enough subjects to photograph, I scarcely notice the cold. .. unless, as you said, it comes on rapidly. That happened here, yesterday. My morning walk was enjoyed in 14C temperatures. By late afternoon it was -3C. I so felt that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely agree Hilary. We have to remain active and find things to do outdoors.
    Proper clothing goes a long way to keep comfortable.
    I don't wear gloves for cross country skiing. My activity keeps my hands warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenn , my Christmas stuff isn't up yet. I'm waiting for a warm spell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Djan , the humidity is what makes the coast feel cold.
    A Pineapple Express? Sometimes that swings around into Alberta and we get the worst storms from them. I hope it misses us this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I left my camera in the truck and it wouldn't co-operate either. At least it's a tad warmer today and supposed to get even warmer later in the week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That does seem a bit chilly...It was below freezing at our place this morning and it seemed okay...guess I'm adjusting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy , below freezing is okay if it goes from a little above freezing. It's when it plunges 10 or 20 degrees that it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, I'm glad I'm not the only one with a balky camera. Aren't we lucky in this part of Alberta that we get chinooks?

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had one below on Sunday morning..no fun..the dog took care of business very fast! I don't like the below zero weather either:(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Far side , it's interesting watching your weather as there are some similarities to ours. Today it's chinooking so it's plus 10 C(50 F)

    ReplyDelete