Monday, December 24, 2012

The Hush of Christmas Eve

     All my life I have sensed a certain hush, quietness and peace as Christmas Eve approaches and takes place.

      As a child we were busy before Christmas preparing for school  and Sunday school concerts. At home there were furious preparations in the baking department. Gifts were on display and our little attentions were drawn many times in great expectation. So the time leading up to Christmas was busy and terribly exciting for a little boy. It was magic.

     In that era and the location we lived in, life was much simpler. We had one small country store that didn't have electricity. No bright lights there. Our transportation was via two ancient farm horses. They may have attained the blinding speed of four or five miles per hour. There wasn't a traffic jamb or great amount of traffic noise.. only the harness squeaking and slapping and the horses hooves crunching in the snow. No clip clop of horse shoes or fancy rig... just a farm type bob sleigh and box. This form of transportation was slow and quiet. 

     Even though our life was very quiet there was still the hush and quietness of Christmas Eve. It was noticeable even for a little boy.

     After high school I've spent most of my life in an urban area. Yes, roads had been improved so that cars could be used for transportation although there wasn't a lot of traffic. Much brighter lighting came with the supply of electricity. Christmas was more commercialized. I would make my way home to the farm and sense the hush of Christmas Eve. 

    Later I had my own children and experienced their concerts and excitement of Christmas. I relived the same experiences of excited children. I became involved in preparing for Christmas. Stores were still not open in the evenings. Evenings were still quiet. We received our son by adoption three days before Christmas. We were not planning to go home for Christmas and my wife was booked for shifts over the holidays. We decided to surprise Mom and Dad and go home for Christmas with their new grandson. About three hours from our destination we ran out of milk. We thought there'd be no problem to pick up milk as we went through the city. Wrong. Everything was closed for Christmas Eve.. We finally got some milk in a restaurant that was open.

    Since I was a teacher the school time up to Christmas holidays was hectic concerts, exams excited kids. Christmas Eve really did seem peaceful.

    Now the stores are open evenings seven days a week. We seem to have to have many cars and drive them constantly. There's a constant roar from traffic. Brilliant lights are everywhere.

    I still sense the hush of Christmas Eve. 

   So this Christmas Eve I hope that everyone senses the hush and peace no matter how or if they celebrate Christmas. It would be my hope that we find peace in ourselves , person to person and with all other people on this earth.

25 comments:

  1. it will be very quiet here at run*a*round tonight. just me and the dogs. a good time to count my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to see people alone for Christmas. I'm sure you will make the best of it.

      Delete
  2. Lovely post! I love Christmas eve. Such a peaceful evening. I always want to go out and look at the stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you're in the country you have all kinds of good times to check out the stars.

      Delete
    2. I need to put on my long underwear and get that telescope of ours outside very soon!

      Delete
  3. A lovely report on what Christmas was like before the new fangled age!
    Unlike the first two commenters, I don't count my blessings and I don't look at stars!

    Maybe I have read incorrectly, Canadian stores open on Christmas Day??? Sacrilege!
    The only thing opened here, still, on this day are churches. Restaurants and big hotels, do open but only for booked in people at great expense for Christmas parties. The lazy ones, who can't be bothered doing any food preparations etc. The Sofitel here in Brisbane has big Christmas parties as an example; the cost now all inclusive is $250 per person. You do get so-called entertainment. I went about 10 years or more ago, as family members were, here, there and everywhere. Cost $150. The food was just so so! Waste of money.

    The local so-called up market hotel has a function on - cost $75 per person, and that only includes one cheap glass of champagne, you pay for any further beverages. The hotel's offer was booked out by October!!!! The kids under 5 years get in FREE – hurrah for that – ha ha. Anyhow the Sofitel, the Hyatt, the Hilton etc, unlike most local hotels here in Brisbane have been taken over by major supermarkets, so you eat what they dish up.
    Not like when my family in the country put on FREE parties and food and booze for patrons – 11.00am till 2.00pm. This was done Australian wide by country and at that time
    city hotels. It was a “Thank you” for your patronage. It was illegal, but the police were always welcome and they did come with their families – how times now have changed
    for, I think, the worse.
    Anyhow, now off the horse, just have a great day Red and also “She Who Must Be Obeyed” – that is your good lady wife. I really enjoyed the BBC show – “Rumpole of the
    Bailey” – pity shows like this are no longer produced.
    The young, these days see thrash, thankfully we saw class.
    Merry Christmas to the Canadian and other viewers from south of the border. Just hope. that some sense with gun laws will prevail there.
    How I wish I was still up at the beach at Alexandra Headlands, “Alex” as called here.
    Merry Christmas all of “Red’s” viewers, the best Christmas and New Year gift to the World that the USA comes rapidly to its senses. (Shut up again Colin).
    Colin ( in as sweat box presently in Brisbane)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most stuff is closed Christmas day. One very large grocery chain stays open.
      I can skip the costly big fancy parties.

      Delete
  4. It's Christmas morning now, and I did indeed notice the hush last evening. This morning there is no traffic sound, since everything is closed. In a few minutes I'll hear the distant roar of a jet taking off, since that doesn't change even today. Merry Christmas, Red, and thank you for the past year of posts and comments. You have enriched my life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment. Likewise you continuously write posts that cause one to stop and think about things.
      Keep up the great blogs.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely Christmas Eve wish, thank you, my blogfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks. I hope you had a good day today.
    It's good to see you post again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas Red! I miss the quiet hush from years ago too..simpler times...not so much fru fru:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there was a much slower pace. It wasn't just my Dad's slow horses.

      Delete
  8. I loved read your Christmas Eve post. Of course I don't remember the sleigh pulled by horses. We always had a car. But I think as I get older I am looking for less rush and noise even though I live right in the middle of a city of over 300,000. It's very quiet tonight as everyone down here is waiting for a few snowflakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The horses were a necessity as they did not have equipment to clear snow from the roads. It was a left over from the depression when they did not have money for gas in their cars.

      Delete
  9. Aah, the hush of Christmas. All stores closed approx 2pm/3pm. Nary a car in site on main Blvd. The hush of Christmas certainly is true in our small town. WAIT, I hear a sound and I am part of that sound on Christmas Eve. Carolers (approx 60) sitting in the back of a good olde hay wagon, pulled by two strong horses and everyone bundled up singing Christmas Carols. Takes approx 3 hours to ride up n down each n every street, two short stops at both hospital and nursing home. All souls gathered at windows as carolers ride by singing their hearts out. Some off key, but who cares. Then the HUSH of Christmas presides over us once again, until the Church Bells draw us into the belly of Christmas warmth. Loved your post Red and look forward to reading many more in the New Year. Happiness to u n urs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 'd forgotten about carolers. The young people from the Mennonite church used to drive through the country and sing.

      Delete
  10. very quiet around here, a town of 5000.I worked 2 shifts so it was fun to listen to one man who waited for the elf to show

    ReplyDelete
  11. Merry Christmas, Red! I, too, enjoy the peace. The Hush of Christmas really does abound!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
    http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

    ¸.•*¨*•♪♫♫♪HAPPY NEW YEAR ♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You also have the advantage of being in the country and leaving some of the urban noise behind.

      Delete
  12. A beautiful wish indeed, Red. I hope you had a wonderful, peaceful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks. We did have a good Christmas. I hope you also had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We enjoyed a peaceful Christmas Eve here and hope you did as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our time was quiet and peaceful. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Red this is beautiful! I'd love to revert to the old ways, even if only for Christmas Eve. I agree that Christmas is way too commercialized, the capitalists all want to cash in on the almighty dollar and we buy into it sadly enough. I love what I do on Christmas Eve, the hustle and bustle of preparing a family dinner, we all sit down to eat, clean up and then exchange gifts. This way I have the same sense of hush... on Christmas day.

    ReplyDelete