Wednesday, May 1, 2013

...in Three

     There's a saying about bad things come in threes or some variation if this. Now I'm not at all superstitious but this was my Monday.

     My week has had a set of three challenges. On Monday I went to a memorial for a man I had never met. His mother is a friend of mine so I went to support Jan. Cam, her son, died at age 52. Cam became a paraplegic at age 20 as the result of a motor cycle accident. Cam was a moto cross racer fanatic. The remainder of his life is a tremendous example of courage and cheerfulness under a huge burden. Cam was full of life and very energetic. He was able to be independent for a few years. He finished and English degree and traveled widely. He had great friends who stuck by him. One adventure was his visit to his favorite race track in Las Vegas. He and a friend went up to the gate and people waved at them so they proceeded. They went by the ambulance and the EMTs waved so they kept on going.. They went further and passed the mechanics and they waved so Cam and his friend went further. Then they  found themselves at a gate...the starting gate. They looked around and nobody was there so Cam said let's hit er. So there was Cam in his hand equipped van tearing around a famous race track until the ambulance ended their fun. He lived a good life even if it was short. He influenced family and friends greatly and he will be truly missed.

    While I was at Cam's memorial, my neighbor who works at the funeral home, came and told me that Teresa had died this morning. Teresa had been my neighbor for 30 years. She had many health problems over the years and again faced all of it with strength.

    In the evening my friend Mitch phoned to tell me that he had been diagnosed with colon cancer.

    So that was my Monday. Mitch will survive as his cancer is operable. For the other two , I can only work at supporting them through a rough time.

29 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your sad news, Red. It sounds like Cam lived with joy despite his great challenge. I'm glad your friend will be alright though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cam made things good for many other people .

      Delete
  2. oh, this was a tough day indeed. really sends you reeling. i am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you know some remarkable people, some who are now leaving you. I send my sincere sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, people can be a big influence in your life.

      Delete
  4. That is a horrendous day.

    It puts any problems I have into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not only you who can better see perspectives. Cam was such a great example even though he had great challenges.

      Delete
  5. A very emotional day for you. Reminds us to appreciate life and try to live to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. Cam was a great example of living life to the fullest.He used to do presentations to students.

      Delete
  6. I suppose it is a sign of us all getting older that death is no longer that strange guest who appears only on very rare occasions - but as familiar as a close family friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes , at this age you lose quite a few.

      Delete
  7. Getting older, the more you get to deal with these matters. It makes me sad to see others suffer with their loss and knowing that our time will come some time. Feel so sorry for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We have to be comfortable with our own end.

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry you've had such a hard day. It is nice, however, that you were able to support your friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The support is very important for both those who suffer the loss and those who actually give support.

      Delete
  9. That was indeed a lot to take on in one day. Cam sounds like he was a lot of fun. Blue skies, Cam! Thanks for introducing us, Red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cam was an inspiration to friends and family. He also did some school presentations.

      Delete
  10. I would have loved to see the van racing around the track. In spite of life's challenges, some just keep going, eh Red. And in the same breath, sorry to hear about your neighbour Teresa - 30 years of neighbourly friendship will be surely missed. My condolences on the loses and best of luck to your friend Mitch as he readies himself for his challenges. I shall keep him in mind when we do our "Relay for Life" in June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. He got involved in a few other antics too. He was a live wire.

      Delete
  11. Gee.......I hope the rest of the year is better for you than this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We get some weeks like this .

      Delete
  12. You are describing some remarkable people; nevertheless, I'm sorry for your loss. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Yes they were remarkable. They leave a good mark.

      Delete
  13. You had a bad Monday..hope your friend does well with his diagnosis. Some days no news is good news:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Goodness - you've had quite a lot to deal with! Hope you friend will be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your a good supportive friend Red.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a lot of loss and sadness for one week. I'm sorry for you and your friends. Cam sounded like a great guy.

    I'm glad Mitch's prognosis is good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's hard facing loss. You take care!

    ReplyDelete