Monday, September 23, 2013

When is Enough, Enough?

   In my last post I told how my careless maintenance of my bike lead to a serious challenge to my riding. I had begun to question my physical condition.

I'm so keen to ride I get my bike out when there's still snow.


    Last week I phoned my friend , David, to tell him I would help him take down a couple of trees for neighbors. David just loves his chain saw. However , David informed me that regrettably he was not going to take down the trees. David told me that his manager had laid down the law and that if he was going to live in her house he had to quit the chain saw and a few other risky activities. David heats his house with wood so he likes to t the wood from various trees he takes down. He also does lathe work and makes wooden bowls.

Some of David's bowls

    So there was another incident that would cause me to think about my activities. I am 74 and I cycle, cross country ski, skate and climb ladders. Now there's some risk in all of these for all people. For a senior the risk of injury is much higher. 

When I look at this I can hardly wait for snow!


Off to skate again

    Now you just can't stop everything because there's risk. Life has to carry on. However, if one has to stop these activities and a few others , it's not the end of the world. There's still lots to do physically. One just has to find something that is a little safer. Swimming would be fine! Step up the walking routine. This is what David did. He now walks 2 hours every morning. 

    I know that some of the bloggers I follow have discussions with themselves about the proper level of activities they should follow.

    I know I'm proud and that I have always been healthy and active. Some day I will have to take a very practical look at my situation and make some adjustments.

22 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that you're so active! I think maybe you just need to listen to your body to decide what's appropriate for you. There's risk in everything - even crossing a street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, crossing the street. Good one. I think we have to take a lot of responsibility in this one.

      Delete
  2. Indeed. It's hard to make those adjustment. A bad knee forced me to give up tennis and upland game hunting in my forties. So I took up birdwatching instead. Now balance issues affect my roof climbing and biking. So it goes....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the balance. I complain about balance and it's like the physician isn't even there.

      Delete
  3. I guess I should have read this yesterday prior to stepping out onto the lower roof for maintenance n repair in the corner that juts out above the roof. I cleaned the gutters and unclogged one, only to have one left to do. The gutter guys apparently didn't do a very good job. I took all the necessary precautions, having my climbing belt n loops on - "just in case" - I kinda looked like a small monkey roaming around the lower roof, but am also wise enough to hire the young ones to do the upper roof. I guess my wise age has bound me to the lower roof, so you see Red, I have made a few age adjustments. I am feeling this post and also re-thinking more each time I look at a chore. Great Post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this age a roof offers only two options. You're not likely to survive a tumble.

      Delete
  4. I hope this doesn't mean that your friend won't be able to continue making those beautiful bowls. You know this struck a chord with me, Red, since I worry about my own activities at my age. I decided to keep them up until I can't any more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I did this post. You are very active. I think the active people have more to consider.

      Delete
  5. in the meantime, enjoy every day full of activity. :) bless you, red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy my days. I am a low stress kind of guy. Having 37 seventh graders in one room will do that to you!!!!

      Delete
  6. It's admirable how you keep yourself active and fit. An inspiration for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be active but the fit part isn't there.

      Delete
  7. You keep riding your bike, skating, skiing etc. The old guy here still rides his horse. He's 74 also! We do keep him outta the alley when we work cows. He cant hear and is a slow on the move. But like he says. People die on the couch everyday! And he's not gonna be one of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like his idea. I couldn't ride a horse any more. That kind of balance is gone.

      Delete
  8. I think it's terrific that you are so active. It keeps you healthy and strong. And there isn't a specific time to stop it. Do it for as long as you can. I think you personally will know when it's time to stop. Those are gorgeous bowls, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being active also contributes to our good mental health.

      Delete
  9. It is when we give up activities that it hurts more. Red Green Show always has him telling the audience to keep their stick on the ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the keep your stick on the ice. One of my friends always says "Keep moving." One of the wives replied that her husband should keep moving or she might have to dust him!

      Delete
  10. "All men are created equal" but all that changes soon after birth. This change is more obvious when people get up into around our age. If you can do it... do it. Use it or loose it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Use it or loose it is the truth. We can look a many around us who've lost it by inactivity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Red, I thought I had left a comment here, but I don't see it, so I guess it didn't go through. Sorry about that. I just wanted to tell you to keep at it! I think our bodies tell us when we need to make a change.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought I left one too.
    I can understand if David is getting in the trees but maybe just cutting up the wood would work and he could still make those lovely bowls.
    My stepdad is 74 and worked all his life. He works a job four days a week still and cuts wood to sell for a little extra money. He enjoys himself and without something to do I think he would be at a loss.

    ReplyDelete