Saturday, November 16, 2013

Prepared for Winter

    This weekend we are getting another winter blast. Yesterday we started with heavy wet snow and this morning started with the light dry snow. We've had about 25 cm( 12 in.) of snow. Needless to say I've been out shoveling snow. It's been good since it's not cold ...minus 10 C (12 F). 


We had limited visibility

     So I'm prepared as I have three snow shovels. If I don't like the color of one I can try another color.


Looking at the fence you can see how hard the snow is falling.

     It also got me thinking about my northern experience again. One of the first things I did when I arrived in the north was to get a local woman to make a traditional parka for me. It was one of the best things I did. I visited her and told her what I wanted. She looked me over and pictured me in a coat. She didn't measure me. The coat has a lining, duffel inside and outer cover. The hood is fringed with wolverine as it doesn't build up with frost. The hem is fringed with muskrat. The sleeves had muskrat trim but it wore out.


The coat is long and reaches close to the knees

   This coat was comfortable in all conditions. When outside I was warm. Inside you could sit for hours and not get hot. When in the Arctic I wore this coat about six months of the year.


I rarely wore anything under this coat unless I was out on a trip or out all day.

   I have replaced the lining and outer shell three times. That's not bad for a 50 year old coat.
Some coats were made of seal skin. I just have a sealskin for a decoration.

    When I came south I wore the coat because I was used to it. Gradually I quit wearing it and I haven't worn it for quite a few years.

   The coat brings back many memories for me of boat trips, snowmobile trips, hunting trips, snow shoeing and walking with the girls.

    Now the idea for today's post came from Darlin at My life for a Year. She had been out dancing last night at Moc Rock which is an aboriginal dance party. So I thought of my mukluks. When I went to look for them , I remembered I had donated them to the museum. Oh well , sometimes I make rash decisions. I won't give my coat away. 

24 comments:

  1. Be careful out there with that snow. I dont have to shovel yet nor have I ever but at some point this winter I may have to take over. I dont think it will be easy. Nice to see you Red. Im off to see Darlin. Its been awhile. She is such a lovely Lady .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoveling snow is good for me as I need the exercise. I have no worries about heart attacks as I'm lucky in that dept.

      Delete
  2. Red that's unbelievable that you'd have this coat for so many years, now that's a coat! I'd love to get a parka just like this. I find the older I get the easier I get cold and the one you own sounds like the solution! Hmmm now who do I know? lol

    As for a roc your moc, this wasn't a dance party, it's a statement from all Indigenous people clear across the world, those who know about it and can take part do, it's a solidarity movement in a larger sense, to show the world that we're still here, we're strong and we're proud. I had a ton of fun with flashing my mocs, I almost took them out dancing last night but once the snow started there was no way I was going out and thankfully I stayed in last night. It was treacherous out on the roads today here in the city.

    I love it that you have four different color shovels, pick a color mood dependent? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I still had my mukluks , but when I went to look for them and couldn't find them I remembered that we had donated them to the museum.

      Delete
    2. That was mighty kind of you Red, what a wonderful donation!

      Delete
  3. That coat is precious, filled with memories now. I just started reading Dan Koeppel's book and am enjoying it very much, Red. Thank you for the recommendation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is written in a rather interesting fashion in how it tells the story though birding.

      Delete
  4. Better keep the parka! I think you need a snow stick too! Looks like winter has come to you...ready or not! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really got dumped on this week end. It's not cold but just lots of snow. I'll use the weather station for a snow stick.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful coat. Homemade as it were. Twelve inches is quite a blast for the first snowfall of the year. Here its been just a little "dusting" so far....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is our second blast . we had a lot of snow two weeks ago.

      Delete
  6. Indeed a wonderful coat Red!

    All the best from the Netherlands,
    dzjiedzjee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I lived a lot of my life in that coat.

      Delete
  7. Nice coat Red. Wow you are dumped and good.

    We woke up at 2 in the morning and had not any power but here we are warm weather.

    So we went to get breakfast in town at 7.30.

    Sat with my hubby's coffee budies. They said in their area the hydro came along and snapped off about five cables.

    We still not know why . So got home at 11 and our lights were back on.

    Have know idea what your talking about dancing or wearing you mukluks and this solidarity movement ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really dislike losing power. It really interferes with your whole life.
      The solidarity is the idea that indigenous people support one another by celebrating the special footwear.

      Delete
  8. Oh Red I LOVE your coat they do not make them like that anymore I am sure every time you wear it the stories flow in your mind and bring big smiles. Keep the snow out there for a little while longer if you don't mind I have much to do:)
    My Mom had no conveniences:) B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never send you snow. Our snow slides further south and goes through Minnesota.
      I never thought i would still have this coat 50 years later.

      Delete
  9. That is an achievement making a coat last fifty years. It still looks very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have certainly achieved winter status there and that's a fine coat with which to see it through. I like the nice plaid lining.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clothes today wear out tomorrow - you were wise in the choice of having this wonderful coat made just for you and made properly. I think it is really very nice and such nice memories come with it. We had snow and then the weather turned warm and we had a ton of rain and washed it all away - I know it'll come again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It really is a great looking coat, and it certainly doesn't look fifty years old.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been watching your weather forecasts. What a dump!
    We're cold, with a skiff of snow. No sign of Geraldine today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I guess 'cold' is a relative thing, since you say 12F in NOT cold. Brrr. Here 45 degree rain is very cold.

    ReplyDelete
  15. neat that the coat has given you such use for many years!

    ReplyDelete