Saturday, September 5, 2015

A Tough Book to Read

     I just finished a very tough book to read. Usually books classified as tough are those that in some ways are complex. For me, mysteries are hard to read.

    But the book today is a tough because of the subject matter. It deals with Alzheimer's

    I've known a few people with Alzheimer's and visited with them. I've never had to deal directly with Alzheimer's.

    In this book the writer has Alzheimer's. His mother has Alzheimer's and his grandfather had Alzheimer's.

    On Pluto: inside the mind of Alzheimer's by Greg O'brien is a detailed realistic firsthand account of dealing with Alzheimer's and having Alzheimer's. 

    Greg describes in detail the challenge of looking after his mother who has Alzheimer's while at the same time he has early onset Alzheimer's. Looking after an elderly parent is always going to be  challenge but one having Alzheimer's is much worse.

    When Greg's mother dies he suddenly has to face the stage  his own Alzheimer's. Greg describes in detail his dealing with physicians and denial and anger. It's very direct and authentic.

    Along the way you will learn much about the very epic struggle people have with Alzheimer's.

    This book was tough to read because of the horrible experiences Alzheimer patients go through. 

    I highly recommend this book as you will learn much about Alzheimer's. It's not a book you will enjoy but is well worth while reading.

26 comments:

  1. i'd have to think about reading that one. my mother died of alzheimer's in a tragic way. i commend you for reading it and suggesting it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said it was a tough read and others who've lost someone to Alzheimer's feel the same as you do.

      Delete
  2. A tough one to read but one of those books we should to educate us on such a cruel disease. I lost a friend recently to Alzeimers. I hope one day science will find a cure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A cure or treatment would be nice. At the present there doesn't seem to be any relief at all.

      Delete
  3. I have had some dealings with this both at family and professional levels. Sad to see a mind dwindle away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mind misfires and all kinds of confusion happens as the mind dwindles away.

      Delete
  4. I fear Alzheimer's far more than I fear death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you see someone go through Alzheimer's I understand what you say.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a very important read, too. I will definitely check this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really covers the nitty gritty of how an Alzheimer patient feels.

      Delete
  6. Unfortunately, the horror stories get press. There are many cases in which the patient is well-cared for, there is grace and love in the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great care and treatment is only part of the picture. The anger, delusions and confusion are still there..

      Delete
  7. I just went to the library website and placed a hold on it. I am first in line so I'll have it by the middle of the week. Thanks, Red. I'll read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will be one who reads this through very rapidly. You keep wondering how much worse it can get.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like this book would be an eye-opener on this tragic disease.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched a friend go down hill and eventually die from Alzheimer. It is such a sad thing. I probably could not read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many people would have a tough time dealing with this book.

      Delete
  10. It is a horrid disease, I should read the book...maybe:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seems like a fine read, of a terrible disease really. Great review, greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My grandpa had Alzheimer's and I watched my aunt and my mom and dad take care of him. I don't think I could read the book. It's a horrible disease, robbing you of the person you love long before he leaves the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That must be really tough. I've heard many stories of how people and families are coping up with someone in the family having Alzheimer's. I know what they're going through.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A tough disease. My aunt was diagnosed with it, but cancer took her before the disease could really progress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My son-laws Dad had Alzheimer and his brothers my Mom had it.
    I looked after my Mom daily but she lived till 95. Got it at age 80. It is a tough disease. Hard to see them be a different person and not recognize you. My one brother living has Alzheimer too. So you book would be a tough read but worse when one has a parent or family members who have it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alzheimer scares me. My father and all his siblings had it. It was hard on my mother as he would sometimes go wandering off and the police would have to bring him back. My brother and I are always wondering if we'll be all right.

    ReplyDelete