Saturday, August 27, 2016

My Zinnias Perform Well

    Well, I think they're Zinnias. I could stand to be corrected. If I'm wrong, I know people will very kindly correct me.

    This is the first year I grew zinnias. Gardens and plants around here are short in variety. How come I grew zinnias?

     Well, I've only grown white petunias in my carport planter and this year I planned to grow petunias in the carport planter. In fact, I bought some petunias as bedding plants.

     One day in the spring my neighbor came over and asked me if I wanted some seeds. His sister is a seed distributor and had given him some out of date seeds. Neighbor didn't have any use for him. These were the type of seeds that are implanted on a piece of fabric and all you had to do was lay the strip on the ground and carefully cover it with the correct depth of soil. He gave me Alyssum and another variety of seed. I planted all the seeds in the one variety and threw the package away. I didn't expect any of them to grow. I watered the carport planter very well. I didn't water the Alyssum that much. The seeds I didn't know the name of germinated and grew well. None of the Alyssum germinated. They have been blooming for three weeks and they are zinnias. 

     Now the big surprise is that the micro manager really likes the variety of colors of the zinnias.  Now she wants to plant zinnias again next year. Fine by me.

    But the next time somebody gives me some seeds to plant , I'll keep the package.



37 comments:

  1. It is a very pretty flower I have never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you have another name for them.

      Delete
  2. A favorite for me,I put them in every year. Keep them dead headed and they bloom past a frost. I save a few seeds to replant, but like different varieties to try.They are a good cut flower to bring in for your table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will cut some as I never thought of it.

      Delete
  3. The pink bloom in the last photo is especially nice. You'll have to change your name from Red to Green as you are obviously a green-fingered guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WEll I could pick a few other colors as there is yellow, orange. Also I'm a very colorful Guy!

      Delete
  4. My zinnias are hard to grow because the baby rabbits in spring eat them right on down. I have to fence them or plant them in pots on the patio! I do love zinnias though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem in the spring but it's the adult rabbits.

      Delete
  5. What fun! I like planting fall bulbs, and forgetting what I've planted. Spring is always a surprise!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never grown zinnias that pretty! You should grow them again next year. Those are beautiful. Zinnias are my favorite summer flower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are very beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and this from something that i didn't think would grow.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely bunch of Zinnias! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They sure are pretty. They are one of my favorite fall flowers, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, if you throw the packets away just think what a lovely surprise you may have waiting for you when the flowers show. Or maybe not? Zinnias are definitely very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly did get a surprise. I was surprised at how well they did.

      Delete
  11. Your zinnias are lovely. I tried but I was never any good growing them. I like the micromanager' idea, I prefer a mixture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I water these but after that I did nothing.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. They have a variety of colors which was surprising.

      Delete
  13. Lovely zinnias! I always grow them because they are so easy to grow, last a long time in a vases and are such a pretty mixture of colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out that they are very easy to grow.

      Delete
  14. Yep, Zinnias! I plant a few every year, but mine are pretty much a failure this year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty flowers! Glad it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are indeed zinnias, and they look great! We never tried them here in England, but maybe we should.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are the flowers that My Mom taught me to plant. To just put in ground so far down and not too much earth. I then grew lovely mixed flowers ones like yours. In the garden with my Moms tall flowers. Which I am blank to name them. Took them to Markham fair it was called back then. You were judged for the size, the bloom. No petals to be broken or torn .In other wise to be Perfect. So had to carry them with loving care. I had mine in a old glass milk jar. If you can remember them. I found years ago when I wanted to put sunflowers in I had bought from a lady she grew them. Back then I won first or second ribbons at the fair. So you are certainly growing the flowers way back when I was a kid. I was like 12 years old. Yes you have to change your name to Green Thumb Cracker Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yup! Zinnias for sure. I loved zinnias on the mainland. They were such hardy, colorful plants. I haven't seen them too much on Hawaii though. Hmmm... I wonder why.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Zinnias were one of my mom's favourite annuals. I planted them once from seed and they turned out amazing too! Your flowers are a lovely colourful mix.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  20. No a plant I'd ever heard of but it's very attractive.

    ReplyDelete