Friday, February 24, 2017

CANADA AT 150

      This year on July 1 is Canada's 150th birthday. There are many events and celebrations planned. Not too much has been advertised yet. Most events will take place July 1. However, other events will take place in the summer season.

      Now I think most readers know that I lead a bird watching group on Saturdays. We don't go out birding in the winter so I have extra time to think about things. Now that could be dangerous.

      I came up with the idea that we look for 150 bird species in our city and surroundings!!! So this is one event that will run most of the year. People will report bird species that they see to an email address. Yours truly will sift through the sightings and make an official list of species sighted. This idea was met with enthusiasm so here we go for a Canada birthday project.

    With this project we will be celebrating Canada's birthday.

    I also hope that this project will get some publicity. The local paper picked up my project proposal to members within 24 hours so that was great publicity. With publicity I hope that birders will get to know other birders. I hope other people just generally get an interest in birding.

    I also hope that the public becomes aware of the importance of natural habitat in the health of bird populations and other wildlife.

    So wish us well in finding 150 species this year and around July 1 you can wish us happy birthday.

     As of today we've found 35 species.





26 comments:

  1. You have started up an ambitious project! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most work is to record the species. Out birding is fun.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea!! I am sure it will be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great project, Red. I think I am fortunate to be friends with such a celebrity! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting project but don't get that idea that I'm any kind of celebrity. We are a small city so guys like me will appear in the paper from time to time.

      Delete
  4. birding has always been a favorite of mine, I tend to get worked up over each new sighting. Have seen Carolina wren and Purple Finch the last few weeks as new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leading birding group you get to see many people see things for the first time.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a great way to celebrate your country's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will achieve a number of things like bring some people together.

      Delete
  6. That is a wonderful idea, and beautiful shots!

    I think I've pretty much set myself on my own project for the anniversary by continuing to document the national capital through this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will see many celebrations in Ottawa and if I watch your blog I'll see them too.

      Delete
  7. I have confidence that you will reach your goal of 150 bird species. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea - it taps into Canada's wildlife and its natural outdoor beauty. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a splendid project. Perhaps it will bring new bird watchers to your group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to see some new people turn out.

      Delete
  10. I think that is a wonderful way to celebrate your country's 150th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one small group that gets to participate in something that interests them.

      Delete
  11. Great idea! 150 species sounds like a lot -- quite a challenge. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...Happy Birthday Dear Canada! Happy Birthday to you!
    By the way Red, I have learnt your real name. Is your middle name Kenneth? That would make you KKK - Ku Klux Klan and you would have to go birding in a big pointy hat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 35 is impressive for the winter! What a good project to be involved in :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great project! I hope a lot of people participate.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Red, This is a great idea. Of course I had to go look and see what the Red Deer Advocate had to say and found your idea in this article: http://www.reddeeradvocate.com/news/birders-challenged-to-spot-150/ My guess is you guys will get to 150 easily and probably many more. Good luck and best wishes on accomplishing the goal. Nice work getting it in the newspaper too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea for celebrating Canada's 150th!

    ReplyDelete