Friday, May 26, 2017

AGES AND STAGES

    From time to time I've been known to stop and contemplate where I've been and where I'm going. When I think of life, time is the major factor. You can look back on your story or you can think about what the future may hold.

    When I was in my late teens and early twenties I was very self entered. I came first. I found it difficult to consider others and the stage of life they were in. As young guys we would look at the elderly and sometimes snicker. I wish those people could come back now and have a look at us.

    In short young males think they are invincible and I had a lot of the invincible stuff.




    But lately what's been making me think about things is  most people passing away  are younger than I am! I've just been starting to notice this happening. In today's obituaries, nine of the eleven were younger than I am. So I read into this that I am quite elderly. It also tells me that I have been very fortunate in life to survive and enjoy a good quality of life.

   In between these two times I have had other watershed events that caused me to pause and think. My Mother died when she was 59. I can't deny that I thought she was fairly old. Now I look back and realize how young she was. For the longest time I wondered if I would ever be older than Mom...that is 59.

    When I left home I had a two year old brother. Today that brother is 62. Wow! I left home 60 years ago at the tender age of 17.

    Now I try and maintain some younger friends. One of them waved as he went around the corner tonight. It's important to have friends at all ages but that's a challenge. My birdwatching group has some people in their 50's. I have two very good neighbors who were former students. 

     I must admit that most of my friends are elderly. I have friends whose spouses have dementia. Both of them need support.

   I also have to think ahead in a very realistic way. I have to prepare for some options. What are the living arrangement options? How can I get rid of all my treasures? What's still on my bucket list?

    So 77 is great. I am still able to enjoy physical activity whether work or play. I can still contribute to the community and find satisfaction. 


   As always we take life one day at a time.

25 comments:

  1. This post resonates with me. I too used to think that being in ones 40s and 50s was terribly old, lol. Nowadays it is still relatively young but it gets harder for me the older I get, not to think about the end point. I've been thinking about it for awhile now. Not to be maudlin but unlike you I've had significant health challenges. Though I do my best to get healthier it has only worked so much so I've been downsizing now for some time. That way I can take my time doing too. My mom, bless her heart, did try to downsize also before she went into care but my goodness she still had a lot packed into her apartment and it was up to me to sort it all and/or discard much of it when the time came. She wasn't too happy about it but that (loss of control over "stuff") happens to so many people it seems. I wish you all the best with your sorting and downsizing and figuring out what options for long term residence will work best for you and your wife. Continued good health to you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Health challenges are not fun. However, some of the most upbeat people I've met have serious health issues. Keep putting one foot in front the other.

      Delete
  2. I never thought I was old but reaching 70 this year I realize I am really old now. Yes we will have to deal with it, but lucky enough I don't suffer from any disease only a bit less energy. We keep going on will we Red?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to to look ahead in a realistic way but we cannot become preoccupied with our end.

      Delete
  3. You are right, as you get older, 'older' changes perspective!
    We are living longer. You are both lucky, and you live well: keeping busy, having friends, exercising! That is your secret! Love long and prosper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also have a better quality of life. I believe that the encouragement we've had to be active pays big benefits.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post, Red. You are a treasure that I'm glad I discovered while I still have the wherewithal to appreciate you! I am your junior by only three years. It's a good time of life, for sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are able to look back and use our experience to understand our life.

      Delete
  5. One day at a time. That's all any of us can do. When I was in my teens and early twenties, anyone over 35 was as old as the hills. Now that I'm in my early 50s, I look at life much differently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's funny how things work.

      Delete
  6. Time does have a way of changing your perspective.

    My dad has a tendency of going through the obituaries in the paper and checking off those who are younger than he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why part of our life has to be spent being young and ignorant. Couldn't we be programmed from the beginning.

      Delete
  7. I've been spending some times thinking about these same things. With all the crazy things that have happened in my life, I feel pretty darn fortunate to have lived long enough to become "old." Even hoping to get older!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are indeed fortunate to grow old and have good quality of life.

      Delete
  8. You are indeed lucky to be in relatively good health and spirits. I just turned sixty and have had aging issues on my mind quite a bit over the past few years, watching my dad's struggles after his stroke and various health issues that affected my mobility and strength. Keep up all the things you are doing to stay well and independent! And having an eye on the future is always a good idea, but I hope you have many years yet before you have to make changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caring and supporting those who have serious health issues makes us think very seriously about time. However, at 60 you're just a kid!

      Delete
  9. It's funny what we considered old when we were young. My dad died at 67 and I was 21, I thought that was ancient. Now as I approach that age, I feel different. Eat healthy, exercise and enjoy life is my motto.
    Wonderful post, Red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You also have a very solid activity (photography) to keep yourself challenged and active.

      Delete
  10. I have been losing friends younger and realize that my days are numbered. It is that time and all I can do is live each day fully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have many interests that keep your head in the game. We have to be involved in life all the time.

      Delete
  11. I think it is in our nature to look back. I never planned to be 65, I figured I would be long gone. "STuff" is starting to weigh me down...we have too much "stuff" for our kids to deal with and I need to dump some of it. We need to think about a place on one level...the split entry on our house is not for the elderly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dad died at 61 and I thought he was an old man. The older I get the more I think about all the things you have written in your post. Sometimes I wake up during the night and think about my age and think, how much longer do I have. It's a little scary and a little depressing. Guess we just need to appreciate each day. You were very cool back then (in the picture) and very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Red, In a couple of months I'll be starting the 70s. This post gives me some encouragement and some positive ways to look at the coming years. Most folks have told me the 70s can be OK and you are an example of the truth of that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad you wrote that Red!

    my parents died when they were 70 plus ,i think i can't go as further and my strength it's not about courage only you know .
    I think most of youngsters think the exact the way you thought then,it is the side effect of youth i believe and anyone can hardly resist it .
    it sounds strange that since my teenage i was more interested in the company of old people instead of people of my own age,i found them shallow stupid.
    conversations with old people gave me pleasure that comes from when you learn something something worth learning.
    I feel peace when i see that my eldest son has same kind of maturity in such young age .
    i am glad that you are enjoying your life with very good friends and this is blessing certainly.
    i wish you a long ,happy and healthy life ahead

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nowadays, I don't think of people being old by their numerical age, but by their attitude of life or demeanor. I can see a 50 year old and think they're a kid because they act like one. Same goes for an 80 year old. You will always be a young man because you enjoy life and live it to the fullest. You looked like James Dean as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete