Sunday, November 19, 2017

SOMETIMES YOU GET LUCKY

      I spend a lot of time outdoors wandering through parks and natural areas. It gets me outdoors. It gives me some exercise and it certainly does wonders to overall good well being. I lead a bird watching group once a week and sometimes you have to work pretty hard to pursue the little birdie to make an identification.
    Now most days you are going to meet someone to visit with. You meet all kinds of different people. Since I carry binoculars , most people can guess what I'm doing.


    From time to time you find things. These days the woods are filled with junk from homeless people. Sometimes I report the junk and the city picks it up and if it's small I clean it up myself.


    Sometimes you find other things...wallets. Usually there's nothing left. Twice I found wallets and the only thing missing was cash. Then I turn them in to the police.


    Yesterday I found something different. I saw a bit of black cord sticking out of the snow. I thought it might be keys so I kicked the snow away. Surprisingly it turned out to be a flashlight. I wanted to see if it worked and if not it would go in the garbage. One of the birders told me how to turn it on and yes it worked.


    Now the flash light likely belonged to a homeless person as they use the flashlights to navigate through the bush and also as a bicycle light. They also use them for lights in their tent.


     Now when I got home I googled to see what I had. I found out that it was a $50.00 flashlight. I've never found anything of value that I could keep. The light is LED and the beam shines up to 751 feet!




    Sometimes you get lucky!

23 comments:

  1. That's a great find!
    I never thought it would happen but these days I use a flashlight in my own bedroom. I don't want the over head light to wake my husband, who is pretty much always in bed earlier than I am and I am scared of tripping over the dog who changes sleeping habits like changing shirts. So flashlight it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a brilliant idea. I wonder if I could talk my wife into that one.

      Delete
  2. Makes you wonder how they managed to lose such a flashlight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homeless guys? Usually a few bricks short and loaded with some chemical. So you can lose things easily.

      Delete
  3. You are starting to collect what you need to be a homeless person. When The Micro Manager asks what you want for Christmas say a small tent and a sleeping bag. However, if I ever became a homeless person I certainly would not choose Red Deer in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just what you get used to. There's a good population of homeless who live rough all winter.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Now that's a keeper, Red. Just the think to add to your backpack just in case you get stuck outside in the dark. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm one of those who when we need a flashlight never have it.

      Delete
  5. Wow! That's a lucky find! It's amazing what people lose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're the expert on what people try to dispose of. The flash light was probably lifted from the store.

      Delete
  6. Treasures to be found. For some reason I didn't think you were in a large town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100000! Take it or leave it as being big. We have some good natural areas that have been left.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Yes. Now if I could get used to using it.

      Delete
  8. I have one of those flashlights and they're wonderful. Too bad you didn't find the battery recharger that's sold with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the company makes all kinds of flashlights.

      Delete
  9. What a fantastic find. I'm sure whoever lost it, misses it and can't believe he lost it. It found a new home now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the homeless might not even notice that they lost it. They may think somebody else has it.

      Delete
  10. That IS a nice find. Keeping your eyes open paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep. It would be good for your place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is GREAT Red!
    i think you deserved it as you used to do lots of good jobs around to keep your surroundings clean :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is indeed a very cool find!

    ReplyDelete