Saturday, September 1, 2018

VISITING WHILE CYCLING

       As many of you know I'm an avid cyclist. I've ridden about 45000 km since I started keeping track of the mileage.


      The crazy cyclist in 2008!

       When I first started riding, I put the pedal to the metal and rode as fast and far as I could. I did not stop on any of my rides. I didn't need to stop for a breather. I do remember one time when I had to stop. I ran over somebody's dog in an off leash park that the bike trail passed through.. I thought I'm in big trouble...angry dog owner and more. The dog owners just laughed and apologized  and said they had a very energetic untrained dog and that he got what he deserved.

      I have always said hi to people on the trail.

      The last few years I have slowed down and stopped at a bench for a breather. What I found is that some of the local residents stopped at the same bench so I got to know some people: a retired air force guy, retired RCMP, a lady who's had a major stroke and a lady with three dogs and a stroller for them. 

      This summer I met a woman who is going into a masters program. She worked for thirty years, retired and went back to school. She's an interesting character.

     Then there's my friend John. I taught with John and I knew he was an avid cyclist but when he retired he really surprised me. John has ridden to the tip of South America, through Greece and Italy, Israel, and India. He's done all these trips solo! 

      We have a young librarian who is super friendly and helps seniors with computers. She's taught me a lot. Yesterday she told me,"You know that I've known you all my life." She said , " My folks live in your subdivision and all the time I was growing up we saw this cyclist with the yellow helmet go by our house. We commented that the guy with the yellow helmet must be very dedicated. " She said , "The other day I discovered the dedicated cyclist with the yellow helmet was you!" As you can imagine we had a good laugh.

     So the social contact from cycling has been great and sometimes surprising.

32 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all the distance you have ridden! I love the story about the young librarian. Have you always been a cyclist or did you start after you retired? Maybe you can give me some pointers as I have just taken it up myself. It has been nearly 50 years since I've even been on a bicycle so I'm still a little shaky! But I'm determined so I try to ride some whenever I can. Now you can be my bicycle inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I forgot you tell is buy a good helmet! But I hope you never need it.

      Delete
    2. My husband insisted that I wear a helmet and I did get one. Thanks for your help Red!

      Delete
  2. That's a lot of riding.
    Age requires us to slow down, but you have found benefits on your bench. Going slower has its rewards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you stop and think about it , it's not an awful amount of time. At 20 kmph it takes 50 hours to ride 1000 km.

      Delete
  3. I cycle my whole life, children here learn to cycle as soon as they can stand. First with three wheels and later with two and two little side wheels. Every parent has run after their child when it went on for the first time on two wheels. And I still cycle every day, to do my shopping or for fun when the weather is fine. But the long distances are over now. I refuse to ride an electric bike as many eldery people do here. I want to do it with my own strenght.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dutch do much more cycling than we do. Our cities are built for cars.

      Delete
  4. That's a great story! i wonder how she figured out it was you? cyclists look different on the bike.

    When I was about 14 I had a paper round and there was a bloke who bought a Sydney Morning Herald every Saturday. No tip. He was a tennis player. I still see h im around my parents area and he looks the same as he did then. He must have looked old from a young age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She happened to see me from her car and the white beard gave me away. I had a paper route in my mid sixties. It was a hoot!

      Delete
  5. Hello, Kudos for being a devoted cyclist. It is wonderful to hear about all the people you have met, wonderful stories. Have a happy Sunday and a great new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had a good electronic speedometer and I set a goal and away we go!

      Delete
  6. I only ever cycled where others were absent! That said, I pulled my achilles tendon and haven't gotten back up. Perhaps you can inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take a look at recumbent bikes. They are much safer .

      Delete
  7. Cycling is not my thing. But I'm glad it's yours, that you have a thing. (It's my daughter's thing, too). Everybody needs a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I have a few other "things'. It keeps me going. TV isn't one of my things.

      Delete
  8. I still love to ride my bike, too, but I've got nowhere near the miles on it as you do. Mine collapses so I can put in the car. I love riding in new places. Interesting people you have met on your journeys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the fold up bikes look like something fun to ride.

      Delete
  9. That sounds like a lot of fun! My husband and I love to cycle, and the longer the distance, the more fun. This year we want to start skating together. And maybe hold each other up since we haven't done it in years :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, skate. You'll be surprised how fast it comes back. Now the holding hands is romance!

      Delete
  10. Well, I'm sure you've benefitted a lot from all that dedicated cycling! Having a rest now and then isn't a bad thing when you can get a bit of socializing in too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know that there are many interesting characters out there waiting to be visited.

      Delete
  11. You are definitely a most dedicated cyclist. I hope you can keep up some semblance of it for awhile longer. You're a hero to many a senior, Red. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, likewise. I'd still like to be hiking.

      Delete
  12. Way to go Red! It is good to meet new people:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! 45,000 km would take you on four return trips across Canada, Red! That's pretty amazing :)

    My hat is off to you for still being an avid cyclist. Keeping moving is the best way to keep moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 20 kph it only takes 50 hours to ride a 1000 km.

      Delete
  14. Now that was a heartwarming tale if ever there was one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You make me want to get back on my bicycle! There was a time when Roger and I rode our bikes everywhere. What a grand way to get to know the neighborhood over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great story! You're a wonderful role model. What a great way to meet people, they benefit too from knowing you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't start biking until relatively late- ten or so. And I haven't biked in years.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so amazing. Between cycling and skating, you have to be in awesome condition.

    ReplyDelete