Monday, November 12, 2018

THE WASHING MACHINE

     I came home from birding about 3:30 Sat. afternoon.  As I entered  the house I sensed that the Micro Manger was in the basement.  I was unloading my back pack and putting birdy things back like my field glasses.

    I thought I heard something different like a screech. It happened again. The third time I realized that the micro manager was calling me. Instantly, I was on high alert and went downstairs two steps at a time. This sounded serious.

    I found the Micro Manager behind the washer with towels trying to stem the flow of suds. At first, I thought she was mopping up water.

    She was finally able to tell me that soap suds were coming out at the back of the washer. As her panic lessened she told me that she was running the washer on a special cycle that would clean the washer. It was cleaning the washer alright. Massive amounts of soap suds were forming. This special cycle would clean out soap residues. It was doing a great job. Soap suds were coming out of the washer drum from somewhere.

    As calmness was returning, she told me that she had never run this cycle before. She had always been cautious with the amount of soap she used for the washes. She always used less than the recommended amount of soap.

   So the micro Manager was very surprised at the amount of suds and therefor the amount of soap left as residue in the washer. She ran the cycle over again and also had a huge build up of suds. She has had this washer for close to ten years and never run this cycle.

   I guess after this she will run the cleaning cycle more often. As you can see it's one of the washers with all kinds of gadgets and options.

Image result for duet washing machine

40 comments:

  1. I guess the newfangled washers have all kinds of exciting settings:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After one good old Maytag for forty years we were forced to buy a new washer.

      Delete
  2. Hmm. Not something I have had experience with. I imagine it was rather startling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of such an option! Maybe it's best not to use it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The newer washers are all electronic and sensors.

      Delete
  4. Also, as I read this I can hear my mum call-screeching "john"
    I imagine "Keith" can get a similarly panicked sound about it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I don't have such a cycle on my machine. I also use detergent sparingly but I'm guessing if I had such a cycle a lot of suds would come out of it too. I'd be just as alarmed as your wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why new washers need all these options when the old ones were fine without it.

      Delete
  6. As I am fond of saying, nothing good comes of doing housework! It's not true but it helps relieve my frustration when some household chore goes awry. I wonder what other clever things your washer will do?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think we have that feature, but it's a good thing you saved the day! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she actually had things under control.

      Delete
  8. Glad it all turned out to be OK and you don't need a new washer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was a thought going through our minds.

      Delete
  9. Hello, I do not think our washer has this setting. Does not sound like fun cleaning up the soap suds. Enjoy your day, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was on top of the suds so there was no real mess.

      Delete
  10. Now wondering if my washer has such a cycle and would I be brave enough to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad it was rather easily fixed, and that you know about that setting now. I've never seen or heard of anything like this before. You come up with some doozies, Red. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the Micro Manager comes up with the doozies. I just happen to be the reporter.

      Delete
  12. That must have been a fairly alarming moment for your good lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was . she didn't know what was coming next.

      Delete
  13. I think our washer has this setting, but I've never used it. I'm not I ever will after reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've decided the option should be used more often. there are many little tubes for various things and you want to keep them open.

      Delete
  14. I can just hear the tone of your wife calling you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yikes, I would hate to see this. mine is on the main floor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't throw out that many suds. You just don't know when it will stop.

      Delete
  16. When we were homeowners, our washing machines never had a similar option. Now that we are apartment-dwellers, the commercial machines in the laundry room also don't have such an option. Good thing too because I'm sure it would produce disastrous results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The disaster was minor. It was not knowing how far things would go was the worry.

      Delete
  17. Glad it wasn't broken and had to be replaced. We don't have any dial selection like that on our washing machine/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eeeek! Seeing all that soap suds flowing out would freak me out, too. Maybe I should check to see if my washer does this cleaning. I doubt it tho. It's a pretty basic boring model, not exciting like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The speed of the rinse cycle is frightening for me.

      Delete
  19. So many options these days. We've had our machine for only three years and I'm guessing I haven't used for than 10% of the options!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Same thing happened to us. We ran a washing cycle with just soap powder and no clothes. Because there were no clothes in the machine the soap suds multiply even more. Great fun !!! If you like that sort of thing. Try putting washing liquid you use for washing dishes. You'll get even more suds all over the place.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well that was exciting ;-0 I remember the floods we have had in the past with our washing machines. I remember getting in trouble at school because someone put too many suds in the machine and blamed it on me. I still remember the teacher telling me off as she tried to wipe up all the suds. I feel sorry for her now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hmmmm with my front loader you are supposed to use 1/2 cup bleach with the cleaning cycle and no detergent!

    ReplyDelete