Sunday, December 16, 2018

I'M A PROUD CANADIAN

    The reason for my title should become clear as I set this post up.

     I live in Alberta,Canada. I've lived here since 1969. It's been a great place to live, work and raise a family.

    We are a major oil producing region but we have difficulty selling our oil to world markets as we do not have pipeline capacity to ocean ports. Naturally some people are upset about this situation. Some people want to blame someone and of course who better than to blame but politicians.

    Now blame and truth take off from here to fictional regions.

    We have a couple of small right wing Nazi groups who are very active. They manage to look like they are supported by the opposition party. In fact , there are only hundreds of these characters and as for support, who knows.

    These small groups urge that Alberta separate from Canada. As one commentator put it these groups are "ill informed, incoherent, random protesters jumping on a band wagon."

    This weekend they organized yellow jacket demonstrations. This comes from the demonstrations in France. However, the groups in France are left leaning. The protesters here are very, very right wing. As you can see the Alberta demonstrators will use something that isn't  related to them  trying to link to a group that has had some success.

    It's surprising to see so called sane people advocating for separation. They have been persuaded to believe some very twisted logic.

   Here's the old divide up the people.

   So here I am again on one of my favorite topics. Why can't politicians and organizations deal with the truth? Why can't people look at information and do some basic analysis and make a judgment about it.

   Alberta would have nothing to gain if it separated from Canada. In fact, there would be major losses. Would we need our own army? Customs offices don't come cheap. We are landlocked. We would be the perfect victim for blackmail.

   Now  we've had separatist movements before. I'm sure this movement will end up like the others.

   Meanwhile , I'm a proud Canadian and a proud Albertan.



34 comments:

  1. I never heard of this before, about Alberta wanting to separate from Canada. Once a few years ago Texas thought it would like to leave the US, but nothing came of that, either. It's a strange world, though, isn't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alberta doesn't want to separate. A few lunatics are pushing the idea and making noise.

      Delete
  2. It takes all kinds to make the world go round. I wonder sometimes how do these extremist protesters get their money?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. These guys seem to have money to throw around.

      Delete
  3. I cringe every time any people in a given province want to separate. There is much more to lose than to gain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you say is obvious.

      Delete
    2. Ha, ha,...ot so obvious or people wouldn't talk it about so much as an idea they think is realistic.

      Delete
  4. Good for you for standing proud as a Canadian! I have a lot of problems with politicians but I will also be the first to admit that many of these small groups (especially right wing Nazis) would really cause problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do not listen to any reason and nothing has been researched.

      Delete
  5. I have heard of separatists in Quebec, but not Alberta.
    Your Nazi groups sound like our antifa, supposedly far left wing anti- fascists, but really just a new labeling of anarchists. Extreme left and extreme right sort of wrap around and meet in the land of crazy. They are happy creating chaos and destruction.
    We all seem to be in a struggle for maintaining fact based truth. It seems truth is never as sexy as made up stuff and conspiracy theories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. You hear about separatism in Alberta from time to time but not like in Quebec. The group of separatist here is very small. They are just noisy.

      Delete
  6. People don't realize what a good life they have and start to copy the yellow jackets in other countries without any knowledge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and by working together we can have an even better life.

      Delete
  7. It surprises me to read that there is a small Nazi movement there. I thought the whole racist right-wing nuttiness in North America was only happening here. Ugh. And to even think of separation from the rest of Canada is insane. I drove through Canada in the 1970s and absolutely fell in love with Albert. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are right wingers here too. Yes, Alberta is beautiful and I got to back pack in much of the Rockies.

      Delete
  8. We accomplish far more together. Always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right on. Usually we have to do things in much the same way and reach close to the same results.

      Delete
  9. Living in both Scotland and the 'United' Kingdom I shall offer no comment whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you've heard lots of separation talk.

      Delete
  10. I imagine the so called Proud Boys are among those protestors.

    We are better together than to try standing apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, proud boys and a couple of other small groups.

      Delete
  11. Living in both Yorkshire and the "United Kingdom" I shall offer no comment whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you've heard lots of separatism talk.

      Delete
  12. Well, said! I wonder if a single one of these people actually did any research to see what is really going on in France? My guess is they haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well said, Red, and your pride is showing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll venture this comment/questions. How did Alberta manage it's oil industry up until now? Its not a new industry is it? The connection with France is just peripheral to the current situation and does the real crux of the matter lay with the company whose profits are stymied by the difficulty on getting a pipeline through to the West coast.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Working together seems to be the way to go. These groups that pop up offer solutions and ideas that just don't make sense. They are clueless about the real issues.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I try to take pride in my community most.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is good to hear you are a proud Canadian and Albertan Red. Political demonstrations are sounding off around the world it seems. I am trying to understand both sides until my head hurts and read up as much as I can. In the meantime I am a proud American with roots in the old country, which I am also proud of being from. I just hope we can all get our act together for the sake of the people.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't know how I missed this post!
    Politicians really are so biased. The protestors are crazy, though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ...Red, you and I were born with the same disability, we have logical minds. That's tough in this crazy world these days.

    ReplyDelete