Wednesday, February 27, 2019

ANCESTRY

     I recently wrote a post telling of my early Father's Day gift. My son in law got excited about a project and no little issue like it's not Father's Day would stop him. 

    Well, the stopping issues started with me. My computer skills are not great. So here it comes. Ancestry sends an email. The email asks you for your information to sign into the program. My first problem was that it would not accept my postal code. It insisted on a zip code. We are used to those problems. So phone for help. It turned out that the helper and help requester were both at about the same level of expertise. She asked me to do all kinds of things that even I knew had nothing to do with the problem. 

    The problem was that I was looking at an email that she knew nothing about. She would ask if I could see something? Well, no I wasn't on that page. She apparently was not aware that ancestry sends out an email first.  

    Finally she was able to look at my account and tell me that I was in business as she could see everything in my account. But I say how do I get into the program? With that she left me as she had been with me for an hour. So I thought things over and said ah ha I know what to do. I did know what to do but my pass word had been mangled. There was no way I could reset my pass word from their system. One more call. I got the nicest guy in the whole telemarketing world. I did complement him highly.

    So off I went to look at ancestry. 

    My maternal grandfather was a rather dour little Englishman. I never heard him talk about relatives . So very quickly I found him with his three sisters and his parents. So the first thing I found in minutes was my great grandfather on my mother's side.



     My Grandpa is on the left. It's the only photo I can find of him.

    My biggest disappointment? I couldn't find myself! Isn't that vain?

   Maybe the next program I get, I will be able to register without a problem.

26 comments:

  1. Congratulations for getting on the program. Computer help by phone can be a nightmare! That is amazing you found that photograph so quickly! You may not have found much on yourself because in some programs they will not give information about "live" people. I imagine that is to protect your privacy. But you should still find your name listed as a relative I would think? Enjoy your new hobby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get the photo off the internet. It's a family photo. My Mom is the middle one. They're a serious bunch.

      Delete
  2. I wish you luck. Hubs is a member and it has been a wonderful journey going along with him. That's a great photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the photo is a family photo. Yes, I think I'll spend some time on this one.

      Delete
  3. ...customer service at it's best, where do I sign up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You couldn't find yourself? Perhaps you do not exist Red. Maybe you are just an algorithm created by Blogger. Come to think of it I might just be an algorithm too - made for the amusement of those who frequent blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So what is reality? I think you've been taking too many philosophy classes!

      Delete
  5. By the way - see your title. It should say ANCESTRY with an "N"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew the Pudding police would catch me before I got it changed!

      Delete
  6. Love ancestry. I recently done my DNA and found family that I never knew existed. Photos of people that look like me. I am in awe. We will all meet someday and it will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, patience pays off. Love the photo of your great grandfather. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's fun to do family research. But no fun to have problems signing into website, especially when you really need them. I had so many problems signing in to virtually every website I needed (bank accounts, Air BnB and so on) when I borrowed a friend's laptop recently while on holiday. I'm glad to be home if only to stop with the signing in issues. I hope you can log in to whatever website you go to next and I look forward to hearing more about your family research.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Were you on ancestry.com, rather than ancestry.ca?
    I used this, for awhile. Being adopted it didn't mean much! I did hubby's family tree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never have any good luck with calling for computer help. But I think after an hour, you should have been treated better! Glad it all got straightened out in the end. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, brother. What a pain! Glad you got it sorted out eventually. If you now have an Ancestry account you ought to be able to add yourself to your own family tree, right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I looked into Ancestry a while back, but never could find relatives. You make me want to try again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember something or another a few months back that refused to take a Canadian postal code for me, that only had American states and zip codes allowable. I was not impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. After all the trouble registering, I hope you’re not finished searching. I imagine it takes a while to get acquainted with all the tools, etc. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A rough start but maybe things will go better now!

    I have so many relatives that I know about (father's family had 11 children, mother's family had 6, and some of those had large families as well) I don't know if I could handle any more - my memory bank is already teetering on collapse :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. you maybe could be a figment of your own imagination, I hope you are somewhere around the net. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you got your problem sorted out. A wonderful photo of family you discovered. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you were on quite the adventure, especially with customer service :) At least it all worked out. I hope you have lots of fun with this. I am curious about trying something like this out myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tom spends hours working with various family history programs. I have my DNA report, but beyond that, I don't touch them. It's not my idea of fun. I just ask him occasionally if he has any interesting stories to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been using Family Search for ancestry searches, but am not sure if it would work for Canadian residents, but don't see why not as ancestors came from all parts of the globe. This is a free search program unlike Ancestry which does charge a fee.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've never been on an ancestry site and probably never will be. I hope that you have lots of good fortune finding what you want to know.

    ReplyDelete