Saturday, March 2, 2019

MORE REFLECTIONS.

      The other day I listened to a documentary about violence toward teachers in classrooms. I was dismayed to hear that young children are hitting, kicking, threatening, spitting at teachers and more.

      The micro manager and I were talking about this situation over dinner. One wonders what has happened  for this situation to develop. 

     Many changes have occurred in society and the education system. So there's endless speculation. One of the things we talked about was the inclusion of all students in a regular classroom. Students who never would have been in  a classroom a few years ago.

    This got me thinking about a situation I encountered in my first year of teaching in 1958.

    My nine little munchkins in 1958 with their cool teacher!

    One family in the district had two boys with Down's syndrome.  These two children were kept at home. Most Down's syndrome kids were kept at home or institutionalized. They were not in the public school system.

    This couple decided that they wanted to send these two boys to school with me. They didn't talk to me. They conferred with the trustees. The trustees were wise and referred the matter to the superintendent. The superintendent came out to see me and we had a long discussion. The superintendent discussed all pros and cons. Then he said that I had to make the decision as to whether these kids entered the school system. I said , "No."  He had very skillfully slanted his comments to me so that he got the answer he wanted.

    This topic was discussed in the community and they were against the boys entering the school system. 

   I've never forgotten this issue. These parents were a bit ahead of their time. When I said no they didn't  pursue the matter any further.  I often wonder what happened to the two boys and the family. There was no support for families at that time.

    So inclusion of all students was beginning a long time before it happened

24 comments:

  1. ...our 43 year old daughter has CP and walks with crutches, has her master's degree and is a speech therapist in an intercity school. When she was a student we pushed and pushed and never took no for an answer. Some in the school district where glad to see her graduate so they didn't have to deal with me. My job was to advocate for my daughter and I took that job very seriously. She now has pre-k to 4th grade students, many who come to school from poor single mother families. The language and behavior of many of them would have never been allowed in our home and our daughter doesn't allow it in her class. She is a strict, loving person and for the most part wins the students over. Tough love can work wonders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Key word in your comment...advocate. Congratulations to your daughter on her success. The kids I talked about had parents as advocates but the world was against them at that time.

      Delete
  2. The situation was the same on Lewis when I first came here. In my experience, though, Downs children are not usually the ones who attack teachers or other children. I'm now old enough to hold the view that a total breakdown in discipline and respect for teachers or other people by parents as well as pupils has contributed greatly to this situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely correct. I was trying to give an example of a change. There are too many kids in these classrooms and not enough help.

      Delete
  3. The problem is not including students with a variety of learning disabilities. The problem is making classes too large, reducing resources for teachers and not giving teachers aides if they have children that require more attention. Don't even get me started on the awful salaries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're bang on. Our salaries are still acceptable.

      Delete
  4. Hello, love the class photo. Cute kiddies. MY nephew had Down's syndrome, he went to a special public school. I assume the teachers were familiar with the special needs children. Enjoy your day, have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a first year teacher I was on shaky ground at the best of times. I was not prepared for student with special needs.

      Delete
  5. Gosh. What a story.
    I remember being in a school where a gr. 2 child had been violent, throwing things, including desks, etc. The teacher's only option was to take the rest of the class out of the room, away from him. It was awful. The principal, we called her the princess, was useless. The family was adamant, and the child wasn't getting help. Finally, with the help of the union, we had the first situation in Ontario, where a teacher cited Health and Safety issues, to refuse to go into the classroom. Sadly, she was a wuss, and told the principal what she was going to do. The P. called in a supply teacher. The point was made, though, and it got their attentions. The union liaison was Paul Dewar. I was on the union executive at the time.
    As the special education teacher, I had all these kids integrated in my classes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Special needs kids are integrated quite well and are not the problem.

      Delete
  6. Today all children have an opportunity to reach whatever potential they might have. It was so different in the days when you were teaching. I too wonder what happened to that family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that they experienced difficulties as their economic situation was not good.

      Delete
  7. I think it is interesting that then they respected the teacher and gave him (you!) the final say in whether or not you could handle two special students in your classroom. I dealt with some very difficult children over my years of teaching and they were in my classroom whether or not i believed they should be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that over the years I had students who were much more difficult than these two boys would have been.

      Delete
  8. I think I'll just ditto Tabor's comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tabor knows what she's talking about.

      Delete
  9. It's too bad there wasn't a special program for them to attend but back in those days, it was an entirely different world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sad. Even the most basic of opportunities were not there for the boys or parents.

      Delete
  10. Aww that is sad, I wonder what happened to those boys. Some downs kids are high functioning we have a friend who is!
    Discipline has to start at home, parents are so wishy washy these days. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do a fairly good job with the down's syndrome kids.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Tabor knows what she's talking about.

      Delete
  12. A very sad state in schools. Too many students in each class, not enough resources, not enough proper support. It's a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a lot to ask of teachers to do it all. It would be lovely if special needs students could be integrated into classrooms, but only if there is enough support to make that happen well.

    ReplyDelete