Wednesday, February 13, 2019

THE DREADED COLONOSCOPY

    Kay at Musings gave a detailed description of the nasty preparation that has to be done in preparation for a colonoscopy. She didn't miss anything and it felt just like I was doing the prep.

    For those who have been lucky enough not to have had a colonoscopy, it's a little procedure where they go in with a flexible tube (Good thing it's very flexible)  that has a small camera on the end. The camera takes photos of the interior of the colon. Since colon cancer is somewhat common and easy to detect with the device , these tests are quite common. They look at the general health of the colon and if there are any indications of cancer.

     To do this test your colon must be completely empty. Kay told about this part. It's not pleasant.

     My purpose isn't to discuss the colonoscopy but to tell about two colonoscopies I had.

   I had the first colonoscopy many years ago. A student was going to do the test.  Now I didn't tell you where they shove the rod and camera- yes right in  the anus, the handy hole in the behind. Well the student was all ready and he shoved the device. He missed the hole! What a jolt that was. He said, "Oops, sorry about that!" It's an experience I will never forget. In those days they didn't use any anesthetic.

    The last test I had was for a 12:30 PM appointment. I like to get a first thing in the morning appointment because then I can go home and eat.

     Well. 12:30 or nothing.  I was rolled into the room and prepared. Then they told me that the doctor had gone home to let his dog out and I would have to wait! Wow! What do you do? All dressed up with no where to go.

    Now as miserable as the test is I would always recommend that it be done. It's a very accurate test and if cancer is picked up early it can be successfully treated.

30 comments:

  1. ...I've had two, the last one by Dr. Gutman. Yep, that's his name. All was fine and at my age I don't need a third.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet you had a tough time to keep a straight face!

      Delete
  2. I had a test done some years back. Quite unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing it only lasts for 24 hours.

      Delete
  3. There are very few places in the human body they cannot get a camera these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about that one. They say, "We'll just have a little look."

      Delete
  4. I have had my share of these tests. I want no more and I think I will be able to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very unpleasant but I find too many people where they've discovered cancer and been successfully treated.

      Delete
  5. Hello, it is a necessary test even if the prep is awful. Happy Valentine's Day! Happy Thursday, enjoy your day, have a great weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're about 14 days into a long cold snap. I've had about enough.

      Delete
  6. They aren't pleasant, but they get the job done. Taking a look inside to see what's what is a good idea. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not inclined to go. My late ex-husband had colon cancer diagnosed, about the time hubby had his prostate cancer surgery. My first husband spent two weeks in hospital, as it became infected. The further chemical treatments caused him to have a heart attack. He died in front of my daughter, who was trying to help him by visiting weekends. Her stepmother has early onset dementia, and didn't know how to dial 911.
    It was awful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a very unfortunate event. You are told of the risk of infection. I can't help but think somebody was careless in this one.

      Delete
  8. I remember when I was first told about this procedure. I couldn't believe they'd do that to you! But anyway, I went ahead and had my first one, at age 51, and they found a pretty big polyp. So I'm thankful, since I figure I'd be dead of colon cancer by now if they hadn't done it. A small price to pay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my feeling ...a small price to pay.

      Delete
  9. I've had one, and that's all I'm ever going to have. Roger was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2010, so has had many more exams. Never pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some people these tests are intolerable.

      Delete
  10. I've done a couple in the past and I have one coming up next month. It's not the easiest prep but the test is an important one. It can save lives!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have had one and not pleasant but very necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The unpleasant process is probably worth it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I've met too many people who've been found to have colon cancer.

      Delete
  13. I've had one and am probably due for another . . . as you say, not the easiest prep but early detection of problems can save your life, so . . . (giving myself a pep talk here!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's one of the talks that's necessary.

      Delete
  14. Well this year I'm due another one. It has been five years. Don't know yet what month. Dreading it is enough to ruin the whole year...well, not really, but I do dread it. How awful your two experiences were, with the student and with the doctor leaving you to go let the dog out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you just have to let it go as an experience and leave it.

      Delete
  15. LOL -- I'm not sure you meant this post to be funny, but it was!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The doctor had to go let his dog out?? Even if that was the reason, they shouldn't have told you

    ReplyDelete