Saturday, December 28, 2019

A CHRISTMAS GREETING THAT TOUCHED ME.

      During the time of Christmas and New Years we give and receive many greetings. Sometimes I think that our greetings are very shallow social things. What do we mean by Merry Christmas? Everybody's Christmas is different. We have different families and our backgrounds indicate what Christmas celebrations we may have. So I'm starting to wonder if my greetings have any meaning at all? 

     Well, maybe I'm taking this to an extreme. Maybe I shouldn't be taking some of the pleasantness of the season away.

     What got me thinking about this?

     Well, I went for my regular walk Christmas Eve. As usually no one is out except this time somebody went by.  A mule buck had crossed the street in front of me and entered the woods. A minute later someone had ridden their bike out of the dark unlit woods trail. I was startled when someone behind me said Merry Christmas! It was a homeless man going by on his bike with his cart. I knew this man. He is  Basil and sometimes stays at a house 5 doors away from me. Basil is an aboriginal and most of his life has been a downer. 

    So a cheerful Christmas greeting from a man who has had nothing but trouble in his life really made me stop and think about the world. I was touched more than any other greeting by the wish I received from Basil. I'll remember it.

38 comments:

  1. It is a gift to you to be at the right place at the right time. Life is a time of reflection and yet some don't take the time to appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By reflecting we learn and understand much more.

      Delete
  2. That is a lovely story. People like Basil can teach us a lot if we think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and I'm not sugar coating Basil. He's not an innocent guy.

      Delete
  3. I have events like this pull me out of the regular movement of things during busy times. Pull me out and shake me up and make me wonder if I am paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Some greetings definitely mean more than others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a greeting that definitely caught my attention.

      Delete
  5. I was about to say what William said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being homeless in Red Deer in wintertime is a bitter prospect. Please give my best wishes to Basil next time you see him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are options for people but some like to stay out doors. they make a shelter. Basil has some support and stays with somebody but he's been on the street for many years

      Delete
  7. ...often times a person with so little can give the most. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had enough experience with the aboriginal population that I've learned that one.

      Delete
  8. Hello, what a wonderful story. I hope you had a happy Christmas. I wish you and your family all the best in 2020, Happy New Year! Have a happy day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. sometimes the roughest type have a soft heart inside.

      Delete
  9. That is a greeting that truly honors the meaning of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this story, Red. It is a heartfelt reminder of the spirit of the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It caught my attention and made me think about a few things.

      Delete
  11. Thank you for this special post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a wonderful story, Red. Thank you for sharing it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went home with a different point of view.

      Delete
  13. Great story. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, being homeless in your neck of the woods has got to be tough. Nice to have the deer visit, too. You were blessed twice on Christmas Eve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's tough outside but they have some shelter and clothes and survive.

      Delete
  15. He must be a hearty soul to live in your area! Our few homeless people go south when the snow flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The homeless here will make a crude shelter and survive. Propane bottles are stolen as they have little propane heaters in their tents.

      Delete
  16. That's a nice greeting coming from a homeless man like Basil. People who can keep a sense of tradition and hope alive despite hardships always make me feel good about life.People like Basil are very hardy characters.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw, that was a special Christmas greeting. Thank you. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The simplest wishes are usually the most heartfelt. Perhaps you can pay it forward by wishing Basil a happy new year. And, the same to you, Red🥂

    ReplyDelete
  19. His greeting probably had more cheer than most people! That's a lovely encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  20. dear Red thank you for sharing this

    i think this is one of the MOST BEAUTIFUL thing i ever read !!!!!!!!!!

    i believe such things are here to stir up our soul and bring some warmth of faith and ACTUAL HAPPINESS in it
    such act of sweetness can bring joy in life more than any expensive gift given by someone who can afford it because it links us to what we meant to be

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my.... This is a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete