Friday, August 14, 2020

MORE MUSIC

       I like listening to music. I'm not musical. I can't sing. I don't play an instrument. But I like listening to a wide variety of music. 

      So everybody knows that I spend time on You tube and sometimes find some interesting things to listen to.

     Somehow I hit a spot on Austrian folk music. There's also a little Swiss thrown in the mix. There are hundreds of videos with folk music.

    It appears that most of these folks are amateur. It also appears that the bands are made in a haphazard way when friends get together to play. So whatever instruments the friends have, that's what the band is made up of. Almost all have an accordion or two. After that all bets are off. There's a variety of brass . Throw in a few saxophones and clarinets. There are instruments that I've never seen. Many bands have a guitar. Harps! Yes harps. The very odd violin. So you see that there are a wide variety of bands and thus sound. 

       I am familiar with the piano accordion and have heard of the button accordion. I had no idea there were  many types of accordions. You rarely see a piano accordion. There are very small accordions but they can make lots of music.

And most of all singing. Singing with energy and joy. Now all the singing is in German. I don't understand German but it's still fun to listen the the singing. 

     then there are the colorful costumes. The men have short pants with huge suspenders. the women have long dresses . Sometime the hair is done in a country or old style. 

     So take a look at some of these bands .

     Go to Youtube and look for Austrian folk music. 


25 comments:

  1. I will have to look up the music on YouTube. My niece’s husband - he is German born and niece grew up in Germany - plays the trombone in a band that plays traditional folk music. He is an excellent player and I enjoy this kind of music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, your in luck. There's lots of it on youtube.

      Delete
  2. Was there music in your little community on the prairie? Perhaps in your house? Or only in the church? Homemade music is good for the soul and it can bring little communities together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ask for a whole post here. In the 40's most people attended church so thee was a lot of sacred music. There were many country churches because of the sparse population. There were many great singers and musicians. We had a piano and Mom played and we sang.

      Delete
  3. Hello,

    I like a wide variety of music too, it is just peaceful to sit and listen to some songs. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much music and lots to choose from.

      Delete
  4. I used to play the button accordion. It was a long time ago, and I never got very good with it, but you sure brought back memories with this post, Red! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well. I hope you go and take a look at some of this music.

      Delete
  5. I'll check it out. Any yodeling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes some yodelling. In one there was a six year old boy and did he have a great singing voice and could yodel nicely.

      Delete
  6. We spent a few days in Vienna and took in some of the local music. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad your music finds make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of it is discovery. I had never heard this music before.

      Delete
  8. I took German in high school and we studied German and Austrian folk music and folk dancing. Do you remember the scene in "The Sound of Music" where they dance the laendler? Maybe that's the same dance you were seeing on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember that dance in the Sound of Music but it is interesting that you took German in high school.

      Delete
  9. You can sure get the full experience of the music with You tube! It's fun to see the costumes and full performance. The Austrian music sounds happy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes , the music is very lively and energetic.

      Delete
  10. I was at a funeral last Fall and the Minister played a Button Accordion:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's an interesting one. Maybe the Finns here play button accordions too.

      Delete
  11. It's amazing what you can find on YouTube. Glad you enjoyed the music.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the heads-up, Red, while I may not look up this specific type of music (Austrian) I have found many others on YouTube that are interesting and entertaining...and cooking demos are also a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's something for everybody on youtube.

    ReplyDelete