Wednesday, November 9, 2022

NEW SNOW

       We just had about 12 in of snow over four days. For us that's a lot of snow. 

      In my chinook post someone asked if there was flooding if the snow melted so quickly. Our snow is dry and powdery because of the temperature. 10 in of our snow equals one inch of water. So you see there's not much water for flooding. 

     However, where I was going with this post is that new snow is brilliant and white. It's pretty. So yesterday it was clear and sunny. It was bright. You needed your sunglasses. Well, you don't need sunglasses for my photos. With white snow and full sun it's bright. 

     I was out for three hours yesterday cleaning up the snow. Numerous flocks of geese flew over. 

    Now I enjoyed the bright new snow. I hope you do too.  

    I put out the fat in my bird feeder. An hour later this white breasted nuthatch appeared.  He/she would not cooperate and pose in the light. 


       This is my street. Roads were in rough shape but most people got where they wanted to go. 


    This is the juniper in my yard.


    The neighbors mountain ash.


    This is a snow cone on top of a fence post. 



18 comments:

  1. Yup, you got a lot of snow.I only see snow like that when I grew up in the north and when I go north to visit someone during winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is a lot of snow. It looks pretty in photos, just not so pretty in my yard and driveway. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It IS pretty! I love the picture of the nuthatch. We can see it clearly even if it wasn't in the light. (Trying to be sneaky and avoid predators, I suppose?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like on the other side of the world from me. Yesterday I wore shorts and a t-shirt all day and we slept with the windows open last night. But the cold is going to be upon us later today I've heard. Fortunately none of that white stuff is in the 10-day forecast for us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suppose I should say how beautiful it is, but...I sit here looking at your pictures and thinking, "...and it won't be long for us..." Ack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had a few flurries but no snow on the ground. I like that snow cone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I can say is don't fall on your ass (English: arse) when shovelling up that snow! Roll on springtime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That IS a lot of snow. I am surprised that people can get around before the streets have been plowed. Be careful out there, Red. I hope you have a good snowblower so you aren't doing too much lifting.
    It will be really warm in Illinois today (75 F) and then our temps will drop. I am fine if the snow holds off for a while as I am worried about falling...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing the snow there. It's always so pretty when it has just fallen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Winter is early, Red. You embrace it better than I.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really pretty! Be careful moving snow around. Just pour some flavored syrup on that cone and you'll almost have a shave ice and can pretend you're in Hawaii! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my. It's certainly winter there, while it's still Autumn here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The chinook must be rest when it brings a big and suddenly relief from winter temperatures, even if temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my! That is a LOT of snow. Your nuthatch is such a pretty bird.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's all a bit of a shock, even though we expect it!

    ReplyDelete