Wednesday, July 5, 2023

MORE UNCLE ANGUS

       Two former colleagues gave me their stories on Angus. 

        Bob, the art teacher, had a huge mounted bull elk head in his room for a looong time. I was surprised to find that it came from Angus. Bob moved to another school and when he retired returned the elk head to Angus. Angus would have been at an auction sale and the head may have been very cheap or else Angus just wanted to have something very different. 

     Rob, a French teacher had a clipping about something Angus bought. Angus found some metal with reverse writing. At first Angus wondered what it was . Then he wondered why someone would write backwards and then he wondered how someone could even write backwards. It was explained to Angus that this was a printing plate used in presses. The Art teacher had a little press and they printed a page. It was of a wedding invitation from 1910. Then Angus wanted to find the family whose ancestors were involved with the wedding invitation. 

    Things like that made Angus curious.

    For the odd day in the summer I would go to the school to do some work in my classroom. I would take my two kids when they were preschoolers. Angus always had a package of life savers in his pocket and gave them a life saver. They always wanted to go to school and find Angus. 

    Now I left out some information on the last post. the guy standing beside a pile was me on the last day of school. I don't have a photo of Angus. 



29 comments:

  1. I love it when people are curious and act on their curiosity. All kinds of interesting things start to happen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought he looked pretty dressed up for a maintenance fellow. Our school had two maintenance men. They always seemed cheerful and liked us kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're working with people you'd better have some rapport.

      Delete
  3. Here in the UK I taught in Comprehensive school for many years - our caretaker never seemed to be there during teaching time and I can't remember a single one. It is nice to hear stories like these - how different your schools must be to ours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some jurisdictions the care takers worked some weird shift when kids weren't in attendance. Our caretakers came in the afternoon when the kids were still there.

      Delete
  4. Ah good old lead type. I remember it well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great memories and photo of you! Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. He was a character. A bit of a hill billy.

      Delete
  7. Funny stories about Angus. Loved hearing about the guy, Red. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great stories about Angus, Red. You tell a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you got on well with your co-workers and Angus!
    I knew that was you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're in education, you'd better get along with people or find another job.

      Delete
  10. Angus sounds like a fun guy to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angus always had some odd thing he discovered to show you.

      Delete
  11. Great stories. And you were quite a handsome devil! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't give me a complement like that or it could go to my head.

      Delete
  12. Great to keep the stories of Angus going!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Angus is the sort of glue that held the school together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well , he wasn't really in that category, but he had his place.

      Delete
  14. Good stories! I knew the handsome young guy was you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed reading this
    How nice that maintenance men liked you kids.i remember how nice were the other staff of school with us kids .such memories are comforting. I wonder if it happens now

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the face I remember from Eastview:)

    ReplyDelete