Thursday, March 28, 2024

ANOTHER CALL CENTER RANT

        I have ranted about my frustrations with call centers several times on this blog. Today, I had another very unpleasant experience with a call center.

        We had received a letter a few days ago from the bank telling us if we didn't want a certain investment to roll over automatically that we should phone a certain number to tell them not to roll the investment over. 

       The Micro Manager was doing that piece of business this morning. I was busy stretching but I could hear the conversation as the speaker phone was on. They asked for a couple of the usual identity questions . Then they kept going on. I came into the office to pay more attention and finally I told the micro Manager that these questions were unnecessary as far as identity was concerned . Oh yes they said we are updating our information and continued with pressure. They asked the Micro Manager's age. They already had her birth date. When they asked if she was a Canadian citizen and if she filed income tax in Canada , that was the end. 

     I felt that they were going on a fishing expedition to get information to sell me more product. It felt creepy. I began to think that they were scammers.  They really put the pressure on for answers to the last questions but we stuck to our guns and said no way. 

     So, unless we answered the questions , they were not going to do the piece of business we were asking for. So the piece of business was not done and we are contacting the local bank manager. 

    I'm thinking about the part on the phone introduction that says "This call may be monitored." I hope it was monitored

27 comments:

  1. Drats! That IS creepy. Sounds like the notification letter was fake. Hope the real bank person in a real bank building can determine what is true. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The notification letter is completely legit. It's the call center that is the problem.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, that seems to be a pain to deal with. I recently called to make a change before my roll-over, I was surprised how easily the transaction happened. Take care, enjoy your day and have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done the same thing many times and it's easy but not this time.

      Delete
  3. I see the remark "This call may be monitored" as vaguely threatening. If they are monitoring why do they even feel the need to tell us? Is it a cunning way of forcing us to be more watchful and careful about what we say? In this case I think you were wise to pull out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't give a hoot about monitoring the call. I think that the call center workers are being monitored . the odd time a customer will be out of line and then it's good to have evidence.

      Delete
  4. I hope it was monitored..I don't like phone calls at the best of times!!
    At least you do have a local bank manager.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my experience Red some of these calls are scams. Here in the UK Banks never ever call their customers - they will always write. We as customers are instructed to always refuse to take calls purporting to be from your bank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds fishy to me, Red. You did the right thing by hanging up. You are right to only deal with your local bank manager.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Red, I enjoy your posts, like this one, describing the experiences you encounter in retirement. As a fellow retired teacher, I especially like to see what your take is on handling this kind of thing. I hope you’ll tell us about your meeting with the bank manager. If I could put myself in your shoes, I think I would go to my local bank branch to talk to the branch manager in person. I’d probably relate the experience, just as you have for us, and ask if the bank has all the info they need and if they understand your intention to not roll over the investment. Maybe all is well, and you can go home with a smile. Keep us posted! John

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good grief. What next? We have to be on our toes for everything these days. I can only imagine it getting worse too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are so many scam calls now. We pretty much don't talk to anyone we haven;t called.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They depend on the vulnerability of aging people to pull their scams. A bank will never ask for that information over the phone. Beware!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were right to resist. This is pure and simple bullying, plus, your business was not done. I would complain to a regional manager.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Easter to you and your family! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is probably best to go into the bank in person!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you were being scammed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is terrible service! Those are unnecessary questions and were stepping beyond the boundaries of their job description by asking them! When you tell the Bank Manager about your experience, I hope they act upon it and something gets done to prevent this from happening again to you or to anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When you get a person on the line just say "Hi, this call is being recorded." Then see how long they stay connected.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Our Hawaiiantel company for Internet/phone service outsources a lot of calls overseas which absolutely drive us crazy. The problem is we also can't understand their English because it is often heavily accented. I'm sorry you were having such a terrible time with the call. That is really irritating. I hope you'll let the bank know in person.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just a few days ago I read an article saying that data is what allows a business to thrive so the more data they have, the more they can target products to customers. You were on the knocker.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I felt uncomfortable for you both reading this. Definitely not a good experience!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is an awful thing that we must keep on our toes. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. i felt creepy as well
    such scams were common here hardly months ago .i wonder they stopped completely .
    worst part that scammers spoke behalf of call center .this is how people 's trust on such places can be broken which is bad

    ReplyDelete
  22. Some of the most annoying words in the English language: your call is important to us, please stay on the line....

    ReplyDelete