Thursday, April 25, 2024

JACK RABBIT REPRODUCTION.

      We  sometimes hear the expression breed like rabbits. Jack rabbits can had two or three litters a year. They can start in March or April. I have seen a young litter in September. 

      Today part of the breeding process was taking place in my front yard.

       We usually think of the rabbit as being a quiet gentle animal. Not so when it comes to breeding. First of all you see a number of rabbits chasing up and down the street at great speed. They are looking for the female who is coming near the time when she is ready for breeding. 

     Finally two to four bucks will find her and keep close to her so that she will not get away or other bucks take possession. If the female moves the bucks become instantly alert . The bucks compete with each other. They punch one another and scream very loudly. It's an interesting process. I have not observed behavior past the pushing shoving and screaming. 

     Usually I notice them at the punching and screaming stage. 

    Finally the deed is done and after a 42 day gestation period the little guys are born. They are hidden in plant growth. The female comes back at night to feed them. One time four little guys were placed in my tomato patch. They didn't like it when I watered my tomatoes but they stayed in place. 

    So today the two bucks and female left my yard so I did not get to see the serious pushing and shoving. I also did not get photos as I would frighten them if I went in the yard or tried to take a photo out of the window. 

31 comments:

  1. Fun stuff happening in your yard. I used to raise regular rabbits it only takes 31 -33 days with them and they can deliver a batch and get pregnant the same day...ask me how I know this...I thought I had two females...Imagine my surprise when they had babies and then 33 days later more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had forgotten that they breed after one day of giving birth

      Delete
  2. Sounds violent. Call the police! I didn't know they made such a racket fighting and screaming. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very vigorous as they really hammer each other.

      Delete
  3. I have seen hares here a couple of years ago...with the bucks getting their ears boxed by the doe if she isn't ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting as the bucks keep their distance.

      Delete
  4. Good grief! What a process! 🫨

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is interesting information. I've not seen so many rabbits and so I haven't observed as much as you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The outdoors has always been a large part of my life. These shenanigans happen right in my yard.

      Delete
  6. I've heard the expression, "quick like a rabbit," also refers to their breeding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I’m happy you didn’t disturb them to get photos. Imagination is enough on that. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. When we visit the national park there are always hares out and about. We always watch their antics for a while. Love seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From time to time they spend the day in my yard.

      Delete
  9. I wonder if you will have baby bunnies to photograph for us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will watch to see if the little guys come back to my yard.

      Delete
  10. Those photos might have been X-rated so it's good that you didn't get them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only you could come up with that one.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Now you'll have to blog about what you've seen!

      Delete
  12. I remember when we were on a trip and hired our teenage neighbor to mow our lawn while we were gone. When we got back, we saw a hole filled with baby bunnies and tall grass all around it in the middle of our backyard. We figured he didn't mow our lawn until we were due back. Tsk!

    We'll look forward to seeing photos of your baby bunnies. I never saw any bunny mating dances when we were in Illinois.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it amazing how wild animals adapt and even thrive in urban areas? Your jack rabbit situation reminds me of the deer and fawns here. We are in the middle of town, for heaven's sake!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never thought about this, Red! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I look forward to the baby bunny pictures - if we're lucky! I have a little house rabbit, thankfully she's fixed so no screaming tantrums,

    ReplyDelete
  16. sounds like natural universal behaviors
    how sweet you skipped idea of taking photo so it might frighten them
    these months of starting summers bring so many new addition of life to earth

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are they what we call hares? Think they might be when you say they live above ground whereas our rabbits live in burrows?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Had no idea this breeding process went on and so aggressively.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bunnies are always adorable! We found a nest of them in our garden once, right out in the open. The mother had already moved on and left the young ones to fend for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had no idea the bunnies could be so aggressive, I have seen it in duck behavior. I feel sorry for the females. Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete