Monday, May 27, 2024

LAWNMOWER

       Recently I had to buy a new lawnmower. 

       The last lawnmower I bought was in 1971 so that means that it was 53 years old. The bumbling old handyman kept it going that long. I knew what to fix on this lawn mower but the part cost over $50.00 and then I would still have an old mower that I would still have to pull a cord to start it. 

       So my lawnmower info goes back to the 1970's. So what to buy. There are so many different lawnmowers for sale. Then there are electric cordless machines. With the micro Manager help we researched different machines. we also had to learn about cordless electric machines. We finally decided on an electric cordless mower. This old boy didn't want to pull cords anymore.

     Then the fun started. There are three owners manuals. One for the machine. One for the charger and one for the battery. I would get the manuals mixed up. I'd be looking in the charge manual for something about the battery. It was confusing.

    Finally, we had crossed all the T's and dotted all the i's and were ready to go outside and start the machine and test out the mower.

    So I did what I thought I as supposed to do. There was utter silence. I'm sure the look on my face would have said volumes. I checked connections. I checked instructions. Everything looked okay.

   So nothing for it to go back in the house and look in the manual. So first I went to the start section. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a small word that I had missed. There's a start button. It says press and HOLD. I had missed the word hold. 

   So I went out and followed instructions again and it started. 

   I find directions for new appliance to be a challenge!

   Do I like my new mower? You bet I do. 

   

33 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like the new lawn mower and I'm glad you figured out what you missed the first time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can figure these things out but it takes time.

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you're enjoying your new lawn mower, Red. I find the same sort of thing happening to me every time we get a new electronic thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it happened with the washer and dryer.

      Delete
  3. The pull cord was always a pain...as our machine got older, needing just that extra Snap to start it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found out that you could roll the motor over gently and didn't have to give it a strong pull.

      Delete
  4. haha your old lawnmower is one year senior than me

    glad you finally bought new one
    oh yes with new technology it is so important to see the manual carefully .we been through like this when started new automatic washing machine or microwave so on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel when you talk about those appliances. What do people do who don't read well?

      Delete
  5. Good to know you like your new lawn mower. Reading instructions can be challenging, as I have found myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad you like your new lawnmower. My hubby has turned over the grass cutting to a lawn service. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We bought a cordless mower for daughter about 20 years ago. It didn't last long, but I think times have changed. I'm still using corded, but I don't have very much to mow, so I guess it's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would hope that there's a major change in 20 years. I have no idea what they were like.

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear it, Red! And congratulations on figuring out what to do to get it going. I'm impressed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know that sooner or later we get there. Much of the time is spent with the two of us bickering about issues.

      Delete
  9. Sounds nice, Red. My neighbor has a mower like that and it is quieter than our gas mower. He needs more than one battery, I think, as the charge only lasts so long. I guess it depends on how big your yard is! Congrats on the new mower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one does my front yard in 26 min and the back in 13 minutes. The battery runs for about 45 minutes.

      Delete
  10. They intrigue me, especially since I have gravitated towards battery operated tools for the rest of my yard maintenance, but I'm not completely sold yet. I have too large a lawn to mow everything on one, or possibly even two charges with today's technology. Also, I'm still a bit leery about the ever changing battery technology and worry about expensive equipment becoming lawn art due to obsolete batteries. For now, I still use a gas powered lawnmower but because I hate yanking cords, I have one with a battery and starter. Now at most, I just have to hook up cables to charge the battery to start it in the springtime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine 4 runs about 48 min on one charge.

      Delete
  11. Well done! I'm having problems with my lawn tractor battery. Such a pain in the arse.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We recently had to buy a new washer and dryer. The manuals are for 5 models. The challenge was to find the right one to read about. I hate having to read manuals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh , I've been through that one. It takes a long time to decide which machine you're reading about.

      Delete
  13. I hope you have this one for as long as the last, but in my experience things no longer last as long. But my dad's 1968 hedge trimmer is still good, and I use it, despite the absence of safety features.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure I won't make that time. I would be 138!

      Delete
    2. My school motto was Alta Pete.

      Delete
  14. My In Laws had an electric lawn mower one time, the cord was long and I kept running over it:( Glad yours is cordless:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you for buying a quiet, non-polluting, easy to start (when you figured how) new lawn mower.
    We are struggling with very unclear, multiple auto manuals.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a lot of lawn and I use an electric corded mower by "Bosch" - it's a German brand and it's reliable and robust. Happy Mowing Red!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, thank goodness you figured it out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha! I hope the new mower lasts as long as the old one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like an excellent mower. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Red, I’m late, and probably too late to get your reply, but I love this post and gonna leave a comment anyway. This so much takes me back to your post of Tuesday, February 28, 2017, which you titled “My Addiction to the Microwave”. You may remember I left a comment about just getting my first microwave, and your reply was, I can’t believe it. Ha Ha. So this business about your new mower, and not HOLDING the start button … I know exactly how you feel. No worries … before you know it, you’ll be running that electric mower all over the yard and loving it. Have a great day Red! John

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL! Those small words can get by us at our age!

    ReplyDelete