Saturday, May 25, 2024

THE MYSTERY IS SOLVED

         I have a one meter wide strip going across the front of my house. I have a few shrubs and many perennials in that strip. The shrubs are mugo pine and juniper. The strip with plants is fairly dense. I keep it clean of weeds and the soil is soft and easy to keep.

       However, for the last 2 or 3 years some animal has been leaving indistinct tracks and moving soil. I suspicioned a cat but I very seldom found cat feces. There was quite a bit of soil disturbance . I would smooth out the soil trying to find out what was in the shrubbery. No damage was ever done.  

     This morning I went around the corner to the strip. A jack rabbit popped out from under a mugo pine! Mystery solved. Jack rabbits have been hiding in the shrubs. 

     The jack rabbit moved about 3 meters and then stopped. He/she stared at me as if to say, "Get out of here so I can go back under your shrubs."

     I never thought that this might be a jack rabbit. 

    This strip is right below my front room window. The plants are dense enough so that I didn't notice them from the window. 

    I will be checking that strip from now on.

   Was this Spencer? I have no idea. 

25 comments:

  1. Cute, the Jack Rabbit found a place to live.
    Take care, enjoy your day and have a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite common and find the yards a fairly safe place to spend the day.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet story of your jack rabbit! Glad to know it wasn't a cat after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised at how long it took me to catch on to the reason for the soil being moved around.

      Delete
  3. How nice to have a Jack Rabbit finding a safe place to rest. Say "hi" to Jack for me! (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do talk to them but I haven't convinced them to talk back.

      Delete
  4. Did you ask, "What's up Jack?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, only you could think of that one!

      Delete
  5. Since that Jack Rabbit has found a home in your shrubbery, he must be finding someone else to provide him food. Any nibbled plants nearby?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't noticed anything nipped off. They seem to stick to grass at this time of year.

      Delete
  6. My bet is on SPENCER! Thanks for the great update.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute! I hope you give him a nifty name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the other one was spencer so I'm not sure what this one will be.

      Delete
  8. I am very hopeful to see pictures of baby bunnies in your yard before this is said and done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too hopeful to see young ones. they are very secretive.

      Delete
  9. As long as he's not eating the plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to stick to grass at this time of year.

      Delete
  10. If you wear a jack rabbit costume the two of you could become best friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The winter white coat was very popular as fur trim to coats.

      Delete
  11. Just got back on Thursday. Still somewhat jet-lagged. We saw a lot of bunnies in Illinois. Art thinks they were swamp rabbits (I think). But sooo many.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is nice how you keep the strip tidy and check if everything is right .
    rabbit seems a gentle creature who did not make loud movement so come into notice easily :)

    ReplyDelete