Saturday, August 10, 2024

A LUCKY BREAK

       When I was grocery shopping Tues. I saw a couple of little kids that reminded me of my brother and I. My brother and I were Irish twins. We were born less than a year apart...eleven months and two weeks. 

      When we were about three and four we were sent to our paternal grandparents for a few days. I have no idea why were were sent to the grandparents or  how long we stayed.  Our paternal grandparents were quite old. At that time we were the only grandsons they had. We were like the little guy in the cartoon where a dotted line shows where he went. We were fast. We went all over the yard. We went through the barn and chicken house. We climbed over the woodpile. We ran through Grandma's garden. We were on the go all day. 

     There was one rule and that was we must not cross the road. Across the road was a gravel pit and it was like a big sandbox. We sneaked across the road a few times but were never caught. Sooner or later we were caught. Grandpa came out to the road to call us. He had a big tree branch. The big tree branch meant one thing and that was that we would get a "lickin" . We couldn't believe that our loving Grandpa would give us a "lickin". We took the smallest steps we could and as slow as we could to come up to Grandpa. 

    When we got up to him he took us to the steps at the house. We sat down and he used the tree branch to make whistles for us. We were amazed at the whistles and went over the yard again with the whistles.

    Grandpa was 70  when I was born so old for a grandpa. A three and four year old must have been a challenge for  them. We didn't know that Grandpa didn't speak English. He talked to us in German and we didn't know the difference.

    So keeping with the luck theme, we were lucky we didn't get punishment but got unique  a toy.  


       This photo of my grandparents is about 1947. 


34 comments:

  1. Awww I love this story. Now that was a good grandpa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He carved you whistles...how great is that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I've carved my kids whistles too.

      Delete
  3. He looks a kind man. I didn't have a grandfather and nor had the good fortune to be one, but I recognise the trait. When I started working as a care worker I treated the disabled young teenagers in my care the way I imagine a parent would - quite strict but wanted to see them succeed. By the time I retired I just liked them to laugh and have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We liked Grandpa but he did have faults.

      Delete
  4. A grandpa with a twinkle in his eye...he had been a small boy once

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he was trying to entertain us and calm us down.

      Delete
  5. You were lucky, great story and memory of your grandfather.
    Take care, have a great day and a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He also lived at our place for quite a few years.

      Delete
  6. That's a sweet memory! Lucky too for you and your brother to get to spend time with your grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lucky part was to stay with them. We did visit several times a year . When they moved to the village we saw them every week.

      Delete
  7. I bet those two were thrilled to have their boys for some time. I think grandparents worry a lot about what the grandchildren will get into…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For grandparents it's great to see them come and great when they leave.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Nothing like a little guilt to bring sober thought.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful adventure! Nice that you have a picture of the folks. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of their daughters took the photo and all the children got one.

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful memory to have and a nice photo of them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That guilty feeling has stuck all my life.

      Delete
  11. What a great memory! I can imagine your relief at not getting a lickin'. It's good that you could all communicate despite the language gap, and amazing that you didn't even realize it at the time. Loving interaction filled the gap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was 65 when my uncle told me that Grandpa didn't speak English. I couldn't believe it.

      Delete
  12. A sweet story, and how fortunate you are to have these memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Red, After reading this post, and your previous post, I’m inclined to say you are a very lucky guy! I love the picture of your grandparents. That photo was taken in the good ol' days! 😊 Thanks for sharing! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was taken about 1947. Very few people had cameras at that time.

      Delete
  14. Great story. How fascinating to have a grandfather that old when you knew him and one that didn't speak English!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He stayed at our house for the last 8 or 9 years of his life.

      Delete
  15. I think the comic you are thinking about was "Family Circus". I used to love following Billy's trails.

    I am reminded of a time my brother and I were caught fighting with sticks at my grandfather's farm. He came out and shouted at us to not move a muscle. We stood there terror stricken at the beating or grounding we were about to receive. He returned shortly with two long wooden boards and gave us each one. He told us to fight with something that wouldn't poke an eye out. Of course my brother and I stopped fighting because swinging those boards was bound to break bones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing that there were hands on Grandpas .

      Delete
  16. What a great memory. Do you still have your whistle? THAT would be amazing! I wonder why you were sent to stay with them? Just a routine visit, or did your parents have something to deal with that they couldn't do with you in tow?

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a wonderful memory of your grandparents. They must have been very dear people. I liked the story of the whistles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They moved to the village and we saw them once a week.

      Delete