Friday, August 30, 2019

HOW MANY MISTAKES DOES IT TAKE ?

     My driver's license has come up for renewal. 

     Now here, private businesses look after driver's license renewal. They look after many more things like car license, registering of companies, land title services   just a lot of legal things that the government requires.

    Okay back to my driver's license. Here at a certain age , like eighty, you have to get a medical in order to get your driver's license..  The micro manager had to get on this right away. I would have waited but that's another debate. We went to the registry to get the form for a driver's license medical. Then hurry up and get an appointment for the said medical. 

    Okay it starts here. The receptionist threw my medical form away. She said it's all done electronically. Okay, I'll believe you. So for my examination the Doc gets the medical form on his computer , fills it out, and tells me to stop on the way out and sign it. Fine. They made a copy and gave me the original to take to the registry. Are you counting the mistakes yet.

   I get to the registry and they notice that there's nothing on my old license that said I wear glasses when I drive. So quickly over here to the eye tester machine. So you have a clerk giving you an eye test and not just measuring if you're 20/20. ..the colorblind test, depth perception! You have someone giving you a test that they don't know anything about.

   About that time I was thinking well how many mistakes have to be made before I don't get a license? What goes on with the system?

   The last time I renewed, my address was in another province!

    Well , I was given the standard paper interim license with the real one to follow in a bout 60 days. 

   Am I finished with mistakes yet? I hope so.

24 comments:

  1. That's pretty funny. I'm glad it all turned out okay, though. I wish they had that concern about old drivers here, but they don't. I'm getting up there myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now have to get a medical every two years. I would like to see more drivers tested.

      Delete
  2. If it's any consolation, the Dept. of Motor Vehicles is no better here in the U. S. than it seems to be in Canada. Our experience in Pennsylvania only seemed good in comparison to the horror show in Connecticut. I think renewing a driver's license ranks just below going to the dentist in terms of favorite things to do in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I thought it was only in my little city!

      Delete
  3. Hello, It is good that they are testing the older drivers. Not that there is anything wrong with you, but I have wondered about some others. Maybe they need to take a driving test again. Enjoy your day and weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there should be more drivers road tested. I also think that young people need much more than testing.

      Delete
  4. It's wacky here as well in California. I had to renew my license and get a REAL ID. In the Department of Motor Vehicles they had a computer that checked my vision in all the ways that you described. It was crazy. The lines here are very long and unless you have an appointment the wait feels like forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have to wait very long . we have quite a few registries open for business.

      Delete
  5. It's very worrying for an older, independent person to think they may have their license cancelled, and for the testing people to have such a cavalier attitude toward the process makes it worse. I know my mom would worry if she was in that situation. Driving is key to her remaining social life and easy access to grocery shopping and appointments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving is extremely important as our society is built around the car.

      Delete
  6. There's always mistakes when it comes to official stuff. I had a mispelled name on my license that I had to deal with. Thankfully you only have to deal with it every few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Name spelling is a constant problem . My last name can be spelled four different ways that I know of.

      Delete
  7. I don't think it can be much better/worse anywhere. My Uncle at the age of nearly 90 was still driving. His Doctor told him his eyesight was too bad and said that he was no longer medically fit to drive. My Uncle being the type of person he was duly wrote to the licensing authority (DVLA) and enclosed the Doctor's letter and the licence and said that he was duly surrendering it. He received the licence back uncanceled with a letter thanking him for the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somebody in that department is missing a large number of marbles.

      Delete
  8. I had to renew mine too...I needed a birth certificate, my Social Security Card, a certified copy of our Marriage License, a bill that was sent to my address and my old drivers license...go figure after four items she finally said okay:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fellow drove up to my daughter's wedding from Stratford-upon-Avon - 120 miles away. It was the groom's grandfather. He is 93 years old and he drives a BMW. You are just a youngster in comparison Red!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ouch! We don't have to get our license for three more years, but I'm dreading it. I had to get a state ID for my mother and they make you jump through hoops. Apparently, they are more strict with the new IDs because of the new TSA rules.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That’s a lot of work to get your license renewed after 80. Do you have to go through that every three years, or however long it is there between renewals?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yikes, all that red tape. I just got my license thank goodness, and found my eye-sight had improved as I could read the license plate in the eye test street scene they gave me. I'm still scratching my head on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My license comes up for renewal here n NH next year so it will be interesting to see what happens. I had cataract surgery this spring and no longer need to wear corrective glasses when driving. Hope it goes easier than your experience, Red.

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is great that you can drive in eighty dear Red :)

    here i see drivers hardly age of sixty

    this is great that you got your licence finally

    ReplyDelete