Wednesday, September 25, 2019

MORE SINGERS

    Sometimes a post just keeps carrying on. One thing leads to another. Your comments certainly bring up more info. How could I ever forget folk music. Folk music is worth a post or two.

     What was rolling around in my head when I did the Perry Como post were two other popular singers at the same time. I thought of one of them but cannot think of the third singer.

    So how could you forget Johnny Ray? Johnny Ray was a popular singer but a little over the top. It was in the days before rock and roll when singers were more like Perry Como or Frank Sinatra. Ray has been given some credit for influencing the origin of rock and roll. Ray was very popular through part of the fifties and then his career fell apart. Who can forget Cry or A Little White Cloud That Cried. Have a listen to them. Ray was a very heavy drinker and died from liver failure.

    There was a Swift's breakfast show from Chicago that Ray used to sing on. The third guy I'm thinking of also sang on the Swift's Breakfast club show. It seems to me that they alternated days when they performed. Of course , this was back in the days of live performance.

    Now some day I'm going tho think of the third singer who was popular about the time of Como and Ray.

28 comments:

  1. ...I just finished watching and listening to the last of eight nights of Ken Burn's 'Country Music' on PBS. What a musical education!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some good shows on music on both radio and TV.

      Delete
  2. Hi Red, I do not remember Johnny Ray though I do remember Perry Como on television. Of course I also remember Frank Sinatra who acted in so many movies as well. Now I'm off to check on this Johnny Ray. Maybe once I hear him I will remember hearing him before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard the name, but don't remember listening to him. I was big into Judy Collins and Joan Baez.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. No. Frankie Laine was the same time and type of singer as the two I've mentioned.

      Delete
  5. I am not familiar with Johnny Ray! Frank Sinatra and Perry Como are very well known. Wishing you a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know songs but I never, ever know who made them famous. Can google help you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised when I look at you tube and find that so many different artists performed the same song.

      Delete
  7. What's fun is there are lots of online videos of some of the older singers, as we as the newbies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quality on some of the old videos is very poor.

      Delete
  8. Now you've got me wondering who that third person might be. Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, I remember Johnny Ray! Thank you for reminding me. I'm going to youtube to listen to some of the oldies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like you tube for oldies. They're all there.

      Delete
  10. I'm not familiar with Johnny Ray either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take a listen. I'll bet you've heard him.

      Delete
  11. I've heard Johnny Ray's name mentioned in a few songs I heard but know nothing about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was kind of a sad case in his personal life.

      Delete
  12. I had to go and find Johnny Ray on YouTube and although I didn't recognize his name I did recognize the tunes. (I wasn't born until the year his decline started.) Wikipedia says he was partially deaf, which I'm sure made singing trickier and makes his accomplishments that much more amazing. Thanks for bringing this singer to my attention, Red.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another of Johnny Ray’s most famous tunes was “Cry.” I did recognize his name as this era of music was what I grew up listening to. Have you also heard of Johnny Hartman, who was compared to Nat King Cole ? Hartman was a terrific vocalist too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't remember Johnny Hartman but If I look him up it might bring back old memories.

    ReplyDelete
  15. folk music is always fascinating no matter to which part of land it belongs dear Red :)

    i believe they take quite a part in building of our personality and attitude
    i still remember folk singers i grew up listening them
    but this is almost more than 30 years back
    so when once in while i find some of their song playing on t.v or radio my eyes get tears i don't know why

    ReplyDelete
  16. In my late teens I developed a love of old English folk songs. We had a folk singing pub night and everyone who was so inclined, used to get up and sing. I was asked the other day if I remembered Eddie Arnold who was an old-time country and western singer, and they played that first song on this YouTube of him. He had a lovely voice and played the piano regularly at home.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JX50rZae2M

    My Dad used to enjoy country and western when I didn't know what country and western was. I'm pretty sure I got my love of music from him as I never got into modern rock.

    ReplyDelete