Sunday, September 22, 2019

PERRY COMO

     With my discovery of You Tube a couple of years ago , I've been able to revisit some music that I used to listen to at one time.

    My music tastes and listening have certainly changed over the years. When I was young. When I was very, very young we did not listen to much radio. Much of radio was programs rather than the station playing music. Some of the programs were country and western music. Other programs were like Lux Presents Hollywood. Fibber Magee and Molly and many more.

    Anyway when I was younger I listened to country and western music. But in there somehow I listened to singers like Perry Como . Perry Como popped into my brain the other  day and I checked you tube. I listened to his songs for a couple of hours. I'd forgotten how good the guy was. Perry Como picked good songs. He sang with a full  orchestra. No wonder I like the guy. I put this on face book and was surprised how many friends had their memories of Perry Como.

     Like any teenager in the fifties I was attracted the rock music. Elvis and many more performers caught my attention. At the same time I found some classical music that I liked to listen to. 

    One day as I was leaving the local library with a fist full of CD's someone said, " you have an eclectic taste in music." I had to come home and look up the meaning of eclectic. 

    Mr C started singing in the mid thirties . He had a long and varied career with bands , radio and television.

   I enjoyed listening to him the other evening.

   So do you remember Perry Como? Did you like him?

31 comments:

  1. ...I was just listening to YouTube, what would I do without ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot of interesting stuff to find.

      Delete
  2. Perry Como doesn't automatically bring any tunes to mind but I know if I heard some of his music I would recognize it. I think I was born just a shade too late to know his songs well. Isn't YouTube great for finding favourite old music? And favourite new music, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up with Perry Como. I remember him from radio and TV. I always liked him and his music but I was more into folk and rock as a young teenager. I do remember watching his TV show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember any Como TV. But I did forget about folk music until you reminded me.

      Delete
  4. I was a small girl, but I did like lisening to his calm and warm presentations on his show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I was a little behind you just born in the 1950's. Perry Como was my Mom's favorite. Youtube is great. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stuff on you tube is endless. Everything I want to fix is on you tube.

      Delete
  6. Yes, I remember Perry Como. Thanks for the memory. I'm going to try and find his music on YouTube so I can listen today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how easy it is to find music on you tube.

      Delete
  7. Oh yes, I remember Perry Como. When I was growing up my parents loved to listen to music. So we had a Victrola record player and lots of LPs of show tunes. We listened to Perry Como and Dean Martin. Nice to be reminded of those long ago days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were many great performers at that time.

      Delete
  8. Of course I remember Perry Como. I am not that much younger than you. And Fibber McGee and Molly was one I listened to on the radio, along with The Lone Ranger and The Shadow! Great memories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember my mother listening to Perry Como. I believe he had a tv show on tv too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember the TV show. Now I'll have to look for it.

      Delete
  10. I've heard his name, of course.

    I tend to work listening to music, but it is usually instrumental- jazz, classical, or film scores. For the simple reason that listening to something with a lyric can wind up introducing the lyric into whatever I'm working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some awesome instrumental rock tunes.

      Delete
  11. I listened to some of Perry Como's music today. He is on my iPod, on a play list I call "mellow vocals". You can find it along with classic hard rock. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Como was big news before rock came along.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know his name but can't remember I ever listened to his songs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do remember Perry Como. My parents listened to him when I was growing up but as a young person I was not a fan. I bet if I listened to him now I would be. I was a strange child, I never was very much interested in the rock music of the day. I learned a love of opera when I was young thanks to my dad who had a very good voice and played the piano. We would sit and listen to him for hours. A very good memory :) Now I go to watch opera at the movie theater every month during the winter, which is televised live from the New York Met.

    ReplyDelete
  15. He had a rich, smooth singing voice - like a cup of mellow coffee. Any chance that you could make your own YouTube video..."Red sings Perry Como"?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved Perry Como singing "And I Love You So." I even asked my daughter to put it on their playlist for their wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I certainly remember Perry Como, and growing up we watched his TV show in my home. I always liked the segment in which he sang a song based on letters received from fans. Perry Como was a great entertainer and I have also seen some of the movies he was in. Thanks for the memory, Red.

    ReplyDelete
  18. dear Red i just went to listen the Perry and i loved him and i wish i would have listened him when i was little (in 80s)
    such a soothing and beautiful voice
    thank you for sharing lovely memories

    ReplyDelete
  19. My Mom used to be a fan of Perry Como. She used to own a stack of 78 RPM records and I remember one of them was a Como record. We could never play them because our stereo didn't operate on that speed!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Isn't it so easy to get lost in YouTube? You can watch or hear just about anyone or anything you think of!

    ReplyDelete