Sunday, February 24, 2019

REMEMBERING A GOOD HIKE ON A COLD WINTER DAY

    Again , this is a location we looked at many times as we drove down the David Thompson high way. This area is called Windy Point. So one Saturday, out we went to see if this would be a good place to take students.

    You start this climb as soon as you cross the highway ditch. Did I say it was steep? It's steep so there is some scrambling like use of hands . Again we were looking at a point or a peak that we wanted to get to. We had to take a trail at the bottom of the cliff to the back of it and then more. 

    This is the last time I tried going up a chimney. 

    We got to the top of the cliff at the back and then had to walk to the cliff face. It was a great view and a good place for some stunt photos. 

   It was not a good place to take kids. One time we took kids on this for about 45 minutes before you get to the dangerous stuff.


     About half way up I'm crossing a saddle.


    I can be seen in this photo on the bottom right.


   You can see the highway down below on the right.


Mugging it up for the camera.

     Scrambling about half way up.


Looking toward the dam.

   
 Mike posing for a dramatic shot. One step back and he was in space and free fall.

29 comments:

  1. Beautiful views from the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...great views, but my fear of heights does takes control of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too high for me, but it looks like beautiful country! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said to Tom, your feet are always on the ground.

      Delete
  4. Hello, what a great hike, fabulous views! Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots, Red. I am very impressed with your ability to climb those steep hillsides. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well remember that was some 30 - 35 years ago. When I think back , it felt like nothing.

      Delete
  6. That really is quite a great hike. The kind of journey I might have taken in my younger days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't very far in miles ...maybe 3 -4. But it was a great hike.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Magnificent is the right word. People don't know what they're missing by not getting to the high country.

      Delete
  8. I always take a piece of rope with youngsters, you may have to lwer them down where it was a scramble to get up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was an out door ed field trip. we taught the kids, safety, clothing , food orienteering and first aid.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful photos! You are quite a climber Red!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ack - my vertigo kicks in when I look at those photos! You must have been in super shape to do that hike. No wonder you're still so active and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look back and it seemed like nothing at all. It would be impossible now.

      Delete
  11. Rugged and beautiful landscape. You sure had some stunning views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great stuff. I really like mountain meadows with all the flowers and birds.

      Delete
  12. Wow! What a workout. But the scenery is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A place only for the sure footed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In those days , I didn't need a work out. I wish I was still in that condition.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a hike. And what a view!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the way that you have presented these photographs - taking album shots. With your white beard I guessed that you went up plenty of chimneys at Christmastime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice memories to your climbing years.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That would be pretty dramatic hiking for a student group. Glad you got to experience it, anyway!

    ReplyDelete