Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Oh the Flu Shot, the Flu Shot. Such a Terrible Thought!

    Yesterday I went for my annual flu shot. Now I'm not a wuss when it comes to needles or any other treatment, but I do have some reservations about flu shots.

    Here , Alberta Health Services provides and encourages all people to get a flu shot. At one time flu shots were only available for those over 65, 12 or under and people with a chronic condition such as asthma. Since we've had  a few scares about pandemics, they have decided to make a flu shot available to all citizens.

     I had always resisted getting a flu shot because I have excellent health and resistance. I also didn't want to put something in my body that may alter my immune system.( Just my opinion. Not a researched idea.) So I was dragged , kicking and screaming, for a flu shot a few years ago. Somebody threatened that if I got the flu "herself" wouldn't look after me. I have not had a flu for 15 years and I'm not sure if it was the result of a flu shot or my own resistance and good health.

     So yesterday off  I  obediently went for my flu shot. It was the first day flu shots were available. Now with new technology needles are so fine and sharp that you really have to be thinking about it when you get your shot to feel anything.

    Here large clinics are organized. A large building is set up with about 20 nurses. Volunteers man a reception area and processing of records. Then you sit and wait.. You are given numbers and when they call your number off you go. You have to wait 15 minutes after your shot so there is a large room with about 400 seats for people to wait. I said to the person next to me that I should get up and sing because I would not likely ever have an audience this large again!

    So I hope this is another year without a flu.

    I hope all readers and followers miss the flu this year too.

21 comments:

  1. Had mine this afternoon, never had one before. Doc said anyone working in a school really should for the kids' sake if nothing else. I figure I am just too ornery and I really don't have time for the flu. Here's to good health for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get the same line here that teachers should get a flu shot. Also nurses and health care workers.

      Delete
  2. I get no end of grief for refusing the flu shot. I am NOT anti-vaccine, but I'm not convinced of the efficacy of flu shots, at least not for my age/risk group! I think everyone should just do what feels right for them, but I'm amazed at how much grief I get over not wanting to get mine.

    I haven't had the flu since 1995. It's not that I wouldn't get a flu shot if I were convinced it were more effective. But I ain't convinced yet! ANyway, probably I'll break down eventually under the pressure of all the nagging! ;)))

    Have a healthy, happy winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are my sentiments as well, but to keep the peace or keep from getting hassled I get the shot.

      Delete
    2. I don't blame you! :) My buddy Eugene got his shot yesterday. On the first try, the needle casing (tube part) broke and spilled vaccine all down his arm. They had to fill out a report and try again. So he got two pokes, poor fellow!

      Delete
  3. That is organised.
    I don't bother but I am tempting fate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will get a flu shot again this year. But I too don't like them very much. I just don't the flu even more! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you've thought about your decision.

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't mind avoiding the flu this year, or any year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you made me laugh about your captive audience! :)

    i hope you stay healthy, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very fortunate when it comes to good health.

      Delete
  7. I admit that flu vaccination may have its good reasons but I also belong to those who resist flue shots as I haven't been persuaded yet that it really is helpful. In my opinion, cold is often mistaken for flu and there is no vaccination against cold. But you made your decision, for this reason or that, and that's all right, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think ages 18 to 60 can do very well without flu shots. People with chronic conditions need some help.

      Delete
  8. the flu shot prevents the flu...in any extreme of age, the very young or the very old, the flu can be deadly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I can claim old age and I better get flu shots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi
    Reporting from Young,NSW. Perfect weather, and the farmers, wheat/canola/sheep and beef cattle couldn't be happier. Also as long as no unexpected storm arrives, Young - the "Cherry Capital" of Australia will have a bumper year. Fingers crossed for the orchardists - who can be wiped out in one fierce storm.
    Flu shots - seems that Australia is the same as Canada - we start getting them in May for the winter months. They are a waste of time with me due to my immune system having broken down due to celebral malaria (stays dormant in your system forever).
    However, if it does work and it seems it does, then I think people should take the opportunity to have the FREE shots.
    Leaving Young for Terrigal and the beach tomorrow (Sunday 21st) but only for one day, damn it!
    Cheers
    Colin (in transit)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had mine too..no flu for me..we will see. My injection "site" still hurts..it is like sitting on a grapefruit..thank goodness it is not my arm..:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Red did you get up and sing?

    I happened to be at a mall today where they were giving these shots or I would have forgotten about it, well until my doctor instructed me to go for one, as he does every year. I told the nurse I was going to go to a store right across from where they gave me the shot and spend my 15 minutes browsing, he didn't mind me doing that thankfully.

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to get a flu shot, too.
    Did you know that pharmacists in Ontario can give them?

    ReplyDelete