Monday, April 28, 2014

Grandma Was a Story Teller

       My Grandma was born in 1874 in Russia/Ukraine. She had no formal education. She learned to read though the church school. So she had a basic reading and writing level. I would think the only thing she ever read was the bible.

      Grandma came to Canada in 1903. 

      We visited Grandma about once a week and a couple of times a year we stayed with her. Several times a year there was a large family do and our cousins were at Grandmas too.

     Sometimes Grandma probably had enough with grandchildren tearing around her small house and she would get us together for a story. I guess she wanted to get control of the situation and calm us down.

     Grandma would take us under the stairs which was dark and small. This was also on top of the trap door that led to the cellar. Did I tell you Grandma was four feet by four feet by four feet? So it was crowded and dark. 

     This was the place Grandma used for telling her stories. She certainly knew how to set the mood for her stories. She was also a master at using her voice to add to the story. She knew when a quiet voice was necessary or rapid speaking ...all techniques were used.

     Grandma's stories were about wolves chasing people in Russia. Telling  a story which is a chase is a standard pattern. Grandma had no problem with the story line being carried along.

    Grandma's stories were always about wolves chasing people so there was always conflict.

    Yes she had characterization too. The wolves were always sneaky,mean , fierce, evil beings.

    Rising action was no problem. Wolves chased and  got closer. The person being chased got lost or fell. Hunters came along to scare the wolves.

    Sometimes there was a grisly conclusion and sometimes the person escaped. Grandma had a good sense of the horror story.

    For a lady who'd never been to school she certainly knew all the elements of a short story. Her stories were always different. There were always surprises.

   These stories were thrilling and we loved them. We always thought it was very funny when our little girl cousins would be scared and leave the stair well. They were always crying. 

    Grandma's stories were really folk lore stories from her past.

    They were certainly impressive stories as I remember them from 70 years ago. I will never forget Grandma's stories. Once in a while my brother and I still talk about Grandma's stories.

    So have you had the fantastic exposures to the oral story teller?

40 comments:

  1. That would be my Dad and his fishing expeditions and his Father's and Grandfather's stories passed down. Perhaps not as exciting as wolves, but fighting storms at sea and floating on a plank until rescued - my Mother sang - she was always singing.....so we had a story teller and a singer. Have you ever told your grandmother's stories Red? Great Post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be difficult to tell her stories and get the voice she used. There are many great stories. hers were complete imagination.

      Delete
  2. There are few things as special as the stories of a grandparent :) my late grandfather used to captivate me with story telling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were stories and then there had to be people willing to listen. We were exited to hear these stories.

      Delete
  3. What a fun grandma you had! She sounds like quite the character, and someone with a wonderful imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only fun I remember is the story telling. After that she was serious about her work.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Stories would be twice as good with pictures.

      Delete
  5. It's a real gift. Story tellers are rare but liers commonplace. I'm glad that your Grandma was the former.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I look back I think these stories were very real for Grandma ...at least she was able to make us think they were real.

      Delete
  6. Oh, that is such a rich childhood memory! No, I've never been fortunate to have such a person tell me stories. I think I would have loved it, trying not to get scared. You told her story very well, Red. She came alive for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was very fortunate. I also didn't mention that her English was quite limited.

      Delete
  7. I'll bet you never forget Grandma's stories! My Grandad used to sit and talk about the "old" days, and how they hunted deer and antelope on horseback in 40 below weather, etc. They needed the meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stories I forget but the activity I never forget. I remember what the stories were about and they all followed the same pattern.

      Delete
  8. I love this. Today, parents would be horrified at the idea of children hearing such stories, but you seem to have come away in one piece, with fond memories to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each age has what they regard as politically correct activities. Grandma was a peasant in Europe.

      Delete
  9. Wow, this is amazing to still remember your Grandmothers stories after all of these years. I laughed when you mentioned the young girls fleeing the story telling session due to fear, naturally boys would find that funny! lol

    I don't recall any stories, maybe one day out of the blue something will come back to me but nothing at the moment. I wish we were raised with some of our cultural ways, story-telling is how knowledge was passed down and shared. I've read stories from the Cree culture and they captivate me. Now to learn some of these stories and pass them down to my Granddaughter, brilliant idea Red, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the Cree stories too but it's not the same as somebody telling them.

      Delete
  10. I love it. I suspect the mother of my grandchildren would find more than a few things politically \\yincorrect in those stories. But then she's a certified psychologist. Go figure...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each age has what it considers politically correct. Grandma also had no formal education.

      Delete
  11. the mastery of storytelling! almost a lost art. loved the 4x4x4. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right that the oral story telling is almost gone.

      Delete
  12. I love telling stories but I fear oral story tellers are on their way to extinction. I would have loved hearing your grandmother give one of her stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great that you make an effort to tell stories. Yes, very few will tell stories today. I guess there are too many stories on TV.

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful experience to remember. Storytelling is unlike any other means of creating a tale. Voice and gestures go so much farther than the written word. And "four feet by four feet by four feet" made me laugh. You described my own Russian-born grandmother.. who was just slightly younger than your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mood has to be set and Grandma was a master at it.

      Delete
  14. These are wonderful memories - and storytelling is quite a lost art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess TV has taken away the need for oral stories to be told.

      Delete
  15. Ahh, yes, my grandfather was a storyteller. When my siblings and I get together a couple of Grandad's old stories are always mentioned but none can tell them as he could. My favourite where always about snakes and hearing his "snake" voice. I can hear it still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make a good point about not being able to tell somebody else's story.

      Delete
  16. Unfortunately I had no story tellers in my family. Your grandmother sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you did alright without a story teller! The first part of this statement is a quote form my Dad.

      Delete
  17. Well I am the Grandma story teller in six scrapbooks books I made for all my six Grandkids that way.. My Grandkids will tell you and they are all teenagers and one 21 who is going to University 3 year now to be a teacher. The other Grandma says. She has no neck to neck against me competition. . I am the winner by a long run.. So I guess when my Grand-kids get your age. They will non stop talking about me as your Grandma was to you. The story teller.

    My Grandparents I never met them. One died early and the other one was in England but I do have cards she sent me by mail and then she died. My Mom read to me daily. I knew every nursery rhyme also she taught me to this day by memory. Grade two I won a book from being the most achieved reader. So they gave me a book called Five Little Puppies which I gave to my oldest Granddaughter to have. So reading pays off and being a good listener from Grandma or your Mom..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say, mentoring is the best way to get kids to read and write.

      Delete
  18. You always remember the stories of a good storyteller. It is a gift to tell a story in a way your audience hangs on your lips. (This is a dutch way of sayings) so when you still remember the stories, she did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your Dutch expression of describing a good story.

      Delete
  19. Thanks for sharing your memories. Really enjoyed your post!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that most people had Grannies who told stories. I found out I'm one of the few who was told stories.

      Delete
  20. Aha... So it looks like you got your story telling ability from your grandma, hunh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about that. but her stories were much better than mine.

      Delete