Thursday, January 7, 2016

Ukrainian Christmas

       I always leave my outdoor Christmas decorations up until Ukrainian Christmas which is Jan.8. Why January 8, you say? The Orthodox church uses the Gregorian calendar so Christ's birth is celebrated Jan. 8.

       I'm not Ukrainian, but this area has a high population of Ukrainians. You can't help but have Ukrainian friends here. Today the celebration of Ukrainian Christmas is abbreviated as traditions are not held as strongly as the first emigrants.
 The celebration is full of symbolism and goes on for seven days.

      Now my knowledge of the celebration is limited but I hear about the well loved traditions. One meal consists of 12 courses.. one for each of the disciples.

      So to all Ukrainians who celebrate Christmas today, Merry Christmas. I wish I could write it in Ukrainian as I've heard it so  many times.

      So tomorrow my outdoor lights will go dark.

   

27 comments:

  1. Yesterday was also 12th night, and many around here leave lights and decorations up until then. and some people just don't get around to taking them down. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes some lights stay on in to Jan. but many are not taken down here because of the cold.

      Delete
  2. I don't think we have many around here

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a lot of fun. Definitely not many Ukrainians here in our neighborhood either. The 12 dishes sounds great though it sounds like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of these dishes are very simple. One is boiled wheat!

      Delete
  4. Here some people leave the Christmas decorations until Epiphany on the 7th January. I am not religious so I removed all the stuff January 2th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm going to have to look up what epiphany is!!!

      Delete
  5. Interesting different traditions. Any way you look at it, though, Christmas is behind us for this season. Now I'm looking forward to spring. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't life grand! We have many interesting events throughout the year.

      Delete
  6. It's nice that you do that. And it's amazing that the holidays have come and gone so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always seems very quiet after Christmas and even a little bit blue.

      Delete
  7. What a coincidence in that a Ukrainian waitress assisted me the other day and we talked about their traditions for the holidays. What a small and beautiful world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Well I forgot to go out and unplug the lights today!

      Delete
  9. Christmas seems to go by so fast, I'm all for extending it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Christmas season always seems to be super busy and when it's over it seems very quiet.

      Delete
  10. Hi Red, I try to learn something new every day and Ukrainian Christmas takes care of today! Thank you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, you learn something knew everyday, but can you remember it!!!

      Delete
  11. that's neat. learned something new today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friends are more than willing to talk about their culture.

      Delete
  12. Neat! Also gave up xcountry when I had too much difficulty getting up after falls...:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is a lovely tradition. For years I'd had the kids the first week of Christmas, then they'd be with their dad for a week. The day they left, it'd all come down! Hubby wanted it up, I left it up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful that you embrace their culture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that is a fun idea. When in Rome or the Ukraine ... leave the Christmas lights on with everybody else.

    ReplyDelete