Thursday, August 25, 2016

Do Your Research , Red

      In my previous post about the fish, I was missing some information. That information was supplied very quickly after I posted  My former colleague, Rae informed me that this was a combination art and science project. It's called artist in residence. For the whole week this artist takes over the art and science classes. At the end of the week they have many colorful fish and have learned about water and fish.

     Schools here are on a school based budget.They have money for special projects so they bring people or groups in for  week for a special project.

     My son's very best girl told me there was one of these projects at a school she is familiar with and another person reported seeing a streams mural on a school fence.

     So the next time I had better do more research when I post on one of my discoveries or I could just say that I learned much more by doing the post.

    Now do some of you have a Streams mural at your school?



20 comments:

  1. Nope! I do not have Streams mural at my school. Mind you, I don't go to school any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, maybe you should check. It you're like me, I haven't visited the old school for 10 or 15 years!

      Delete
  2. I haven't been in a school in years! I loved our artist0in-residence projects back in my day, though.
    There was the Great Art Show, and that was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Artist in residence were just starting at the end of my watch.

      Delete
  3. No, I don't, but then again I don't go to elementary schools much. There is one right across the street from our apartment, but no fences with murals to be seen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting feedback that this same program is in the states.

      Delete
  4. I don't recall it in my school days, and not having kids myself, I don't spend any time around schools either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This started just before I retired in 1997.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes there is a story within a story! That is one beautiful fence and what a great project! Thanks for bringing it to light on your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I know you would get the kids to carve the fish which would likely be a very good activity.

      Delete
  6. This is how I met The Writer, 40+ years ago! He was with a University of Wisconsin project that brought theater to rural schools. They came to the school where I was teaching, he saw me and ... here we are 40-some years and lots of adventures later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a cool story to put with this post.

      Delete
  7. Yes, it isn't just Canada. We're in Oregon and there's one near us. Like you, I wonder about it every time I drive by. Now I know, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Others have reported that they see the same thing in the states.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for the information Red. I have seen these often in B.C. but not here in Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't hear much about it, just see the results.

      Delete
  9. Now that I think about it, there is a stream/fish fence at a nearby school. You've convinced me to give it a closer look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of these little guys were pretty creative when they painted their fish.

      Delete
  10. We had a similar "artist in residence" program in our middle school. The theme was live theater. Unusually the people of Minnesota voted themselves a "Legacy Amendment" to raise their taxes for projects involving "cultural, artistic and environment benefits" for the State.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure if there is a streams mural in any local schools. Next time I'm near a school, I'll pay more attention.

    ReplyDelete