Tuesday, September 25, 2018

SOME BIRTHDAY WISHES ARE HARDER THAN OTHERS

     Today and old pal of mine turns 81! Well, maybe I should say relative. Our mother's were cousins.

     As kids , we lived on adjacent farms. We went to the same school. We went to the same Sunday school. As little guys we often played together. Cal was creative so things were interesting.

      Cal is second on the right in the back row. I'm to the left of the teacher's head. Aren't we sweet little innocent guys?

     When we got to be teenagers things got very interesting. Being of a very rural background we learned to drive at an early age. I drove the '29 Chev before we got the '50 truck.

    So long before we had driver's licenses we would "tear around." In other words we took somebody's car and drove around all evening and night. Needless to say these adventures became wilder and wilder.

    I left the district in 1957 but came back for long weekends. Call was away from time to time on various jobs. In 1962 Cal left for California and has stayed there. Cal comes back to the farm from time to time but I've never been able to be there when he comes.

    We've kept in contact but usually from other people.

    Years go by quickly.

     Today I noticed he's 81? How could that be?   It's hard to realize that someone is 81 years old.  When we last saw each other in the early 60's  we were carefree and careless.

      So the best thing I can tell him is life begins at 80 so he's well on his way.

25 comments:

  1. I recall those black and white class photo.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Happy 81st birthday to Cal! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lifelong friends are wonderful.....even if you only see or talk to them every decade. The shared memories of lives being formed and learning being done is the glue that binds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that Cal has worked harder on this than I have.

      Delete
  4. Time sure does go by so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it's all relative. One year is a 100% of our life when we are one year old. When we're a 100 , one year is one percent of our life. does that make any sense?

      Delete
  5. Wonderful memories! I love that picture - you have not changed a bit! Well, it does look like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny but there have been major changes. I had major jaw surgery in my early 30's.

      Delete
  6. Our childhood friendships seems to have an extra strong bond, for some reason. I hope Cal has a great birthday. He's just a young feller yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had only a small number of friends as we were somewhat isolated.

      Delete
  7. It does amaze me how quickly the years pass as I age. Glad to know he's still hanging in there at 81. Happy birthday to him! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy each year as they are all the same length.

      Delete
  8. They slip by, I turn 33 next month for the 2nd time. I could still run 10k the 1st time

    ReplyDelete
  9. That old photo was great, as was seeing you as a little boy. Happy birthday to your second cousin?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indeed - life itself is but the batting of a cosmic eyelid. By the way, your teacher was a good looking lass. If I had been in her class I would have asked for individual tuition after school to boost my literacy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In this final act of our lives we have time to focus on the big things, like birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you sweet and innocent little guys made some wild memories as teenagers! That's a great photo of your class.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Time sure does fly by, doesn't it. Happy birthday to your cousin and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you were both cute, fun-loving, adventurous boys. I hope you're able to get together some time and can enjoy your memories together.

    ReplyDelete