Monday, November 26, 2018

LEAKY TEAKY !

     Yesterday I got up at the usual time and stumbled around until my head got cleared up. Finally, I was ready to get my breakfast. Oatmeal porridge! Great stuff.

    About the time the last spoonful of porridge was consumed the Micro Manager arrived in a panic and said , "I hear water running!" Now in the last 50 years I'm sure she's heard water running about 5000 times. I usually check because I don't want water to get a head start on me.

    The micro Manager zoomed downstairs as she was in the bathroom when she heard water dropping and thought the water was leaking down stairs under the bathroom..

    I followed her downstairs at a more leisurely pace. We didn't detect water dropping in the furnace room. After bouncing up and down a few times , the micro manager beat it upstairs again. Once her noise was gone I discovered where the water was dripping. Yes, this time she was right . There was water dripping.

    The little water intake hose for my humidifier had sprung a leak. So turn off the valve that controls water to the humidifier and the leak is over.

    Fortunately we caught this leak right away and not much water had accumulated. Water was wiped up and a fan turned on to dry things up. We both wondered what would have happened if we'd been away.

   Now comes the fun part...finding a hose replacement. The proper sized hose is tricky business. Pressure nuts are on both ends of the hose so the hose has to be one that fits the nuts and the ferule inside the hose. So far I haven't found a suitable hose.

   Wish me luck.

Image result for water drop

28 comments:

  1. Wow! It's good thing your micro manager has well tuned ears. She saved a big mess for you to deal with. Good thing too that you were home. Good luck finding what you need for the repairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were fortunate. Today we went to a guy who's helped us many times and he put together the parts and I went home and put them together. all is good.

      Delete
  2. Gentlemen of your age often long for replacement hoses Red. Is there a suitable local business you could visit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, today I went to my favorite plumbing shop and got the solution.

      Delete
  3. Good luck! I'm happy you found the cause.
    We had 20 mm rain yesterday. We're wet. Today, snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got some good help and everything is back together.

      Delete
  4. Hello, I am glad you found the leak. Good luck with the hose replacement. Have a happy day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were fortunate to find the leak and have now found the repairs and advice to put things back together.

      Delete
  5. Wishing you luck finding that hose. Glad you found it before it became a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've found the parts and been given advice for the solution.

      Delete
  6. Best of luck ... I think that I've spent half my life looking for just the right replacement part (or so it sometimes seems).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I had good luck and advice today and got the right parts and put things back together.

      Delete
  8. Wow! Bravo for the micro-manager's good hearing! Hope the hose replacement isn't too much of a drag. Thank goodness you caught it early.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you found the leak early. Good luck finding a replacement hose, I'm sure you'll be successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding hose replacement was easier than I thought.

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear it wasn't a worse leak. Good luck on finding a hose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right . things could have been much worse.

      Delete
  11. Good thing you caught it on time! And good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband is half deaf so in our house *I* am the person who alerts him to running water :)

    I certainly hope you can find the part you need. It seems whenever something of ours breaks it's so old they don't make the parts anymore! All the best with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This humidifier is obsolete and parts are not made but we found a place that put things together to make something better than new.

      Delete
  13. The MM is a good trouble detector.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She put things together very quickly so there was no damage done.

      Delete
  14. I'm commenting a day late but I had to tell you that just tonight we had a leak in our house humidifier too! I kept hearing water dripping and went down to the basement and found it. We turned it off for now since it's late and my husband will repair it tomorrow. I kept thinking this was so familier and then I remembered your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When you own a home there is ALWAYS something needing fixing, isn't there. Good thing the MM has such good hearing. Much easier to clean up s small mess before it turns into a big mess!

    ReplyDelete