Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Har-OOMPH -slosh,Har-OOMPH-slosh...

     Anybody recognize this noise? Not likely. I'm not that good at making sounds.

     So if anybody recognizes this as the live beating of your heart your a winner.

     I had reason to hear my heart the other day when I was given an ultra sound on my heart. They slap on three electrodes . Then most of the time they have a heavy metal pestle which they keep pressed to the ribs as they move it around. This gizmo shows the parts of your heart as the heart is working.

    So most of the time the procedure is  quiet with only the technician telling you to hold your breath. Once in a while you hear this crazy noise and it's the sound of your heart beating . It's not just the thump- thump we hear on the outside. It's the right inside your body sound of the heart contracting and sending the blood pounding down your arteries. Then there's a lot of gurgling as blood fills the heart chamber again.

    Why was I given an ultra sound of my heart? On the recent ECG I had, they detected something abnormal about the rhythm of the heart. My Doc told me about it and said I could be referred to a cardiologist, or given a stress test or given an ultra sound. He set it up so that the ultra sound was the best choice and then I was given the opportunity of saying I'll take the ultra sound.

   So an hour later I was out of the lab and on my way home. Friday my doc gets the result and knowing him , he will call me in for a chat.

    It's amazing that they can take a detailed look at the heart functioning to see if there are any problems. For my grand parents in the 1950's this technology was not available. None of them had heart problems so this part of medical technology was not needed.

Illustration of the human heart

Ecg Normal | www.pixshark.com - Images Galleries With A Bite!

44 comments:

  1. Hope the Doc has good news for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ultrasounds are amazing tests and very interesting to watch if they let you see the screen. I hope your test comes back A+!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't watch this one but I saw an ultra sound on an artery.

      Delete
  3. I get EKGs on a regular basis due to a leaky valve, but no whooshing sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This only happened a few times and she had warned me ahead of time that I would hear it.

      Delete
  4. We have so m uch these days and if it gives you better quality of life, I'm all for it! Keep us updated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've opened up a debate on this one. There's much that can be done but it's the quality of life that counts.

      Delete
  5. It always amazes me that our heart beats continuously from the day we are born. That is a lot of work for one muscle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often thought about this. But I guess the resting heart rate helps to give the heart some rest.

      Delete
  6. Techniques are improving all the time, which is good for us oldies...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surgery is completely different where there are no big incisions.

      Delete
  7. With all that sloshing and har-OOMPHing, it is funny that we associate the heart with love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That aspect of heart has always been difficult to understand for me.

      Delete
  8. Hello, sending wishes for a good report from the Doc. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. we both think there's not much to worry about. I will be taking my usual skate tomorrow.

      Delete
  9. You got me there, Red. I had no idea what that sound might be. And I too hope the doctor has good news for you on Friday. I'll be waiting to hear. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some modern medical technology is so cool. I like ultrasounds because it's non-invasive and no crazy loud banging machine to be inside of for pictures. Hope the results are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Doc isn't too worried. He just wants to check and see what's going on.

      Delete
  11. I wouldn't have known that sound either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting sound. They told me ahead of time that once in a while I would hear the heart.

      Delete
  12. I had no idea what the sound was, but then when I saw heart, well, that makes sense. Hope everything is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's amazing what can now be seen inside the body without any harm to a person. I hope all is well with your heart and you won't need any further testing, though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you get an excellent report from the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing this technology and how strange to hear that sound. I'll join everyone else in wishing you a good report.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too had no idea what the start of this post would be referring to, Red, and also hope that the chat with your doctor goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope your get good results. I am very grateful for all this modern medicine! It's amazing what can be done today with all the technology we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they've come up with many new procedures that they'd have never thought of unless they had the new technology.

      Delete
  18. Isn't it incredible, the medical advancements in our lifetime? I was going to guess the sound was that of boots scuffling through slush. I hope your results are good news.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Red, What a coincidence! About 10 days ago I had an echocardiogram which is basically the same thing you had here except I was on the treadmill for several minutes before they did all the measuring of the blood flow. Several years ago I had a triple bypass and have been so lucky with my recovery and results. Every two years my Cardiologist wants me to do the echo and see how things are flowing in there. This year I got good results and hope you get the same! John

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just had an aortic sonogram to check for any weak spots. Funny, but your heart sounds just like my heart. Anyway, I'm good, and I hope you're good too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You're a fine example of some of the comments about the fancy things that can be done to improve our health and quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have a (very minor) heart murmur, so I'd be curious to hear my own heart like that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So, any report??!!
    You are the energizer bunny, methinks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope everything is okay with your ticker, Red!

    ReplyDelete