Wednesday, July 17, 2019

SOMETIMES WE REMEMBER EVENTS FOR SOMETHING ELSE.

    July 20 will be a very important anniversary date. It's the day man first landed on the moon.

    So sometimes we remember and event because of another event. I remember where I was when I was told that John Kennedy was shot.

    Now I have only a mild interest in space. At the beginning of the space age I did pay attention as it was very new. It seemed to happen without announcement that Sputnik took it's first flight.

    I was paying more attention than usually with the first moon landing. I was trapped in a car.

    I was driving from Montreal Que. to Saskatoon Sask. On July 20 , 1969.  I was driving  through northern Ontario and listening to the car radio. Of course , I was listening to the moon landing. The closer they  got to the moon the more excited I became. It was a thrilling story with lots of tension and it was live. I turned the radio up louder. About the time they were ready to touch down radio reception went out. Damn!

    Being in a remote part of northern Ontario on the north side of Lake Superior, radio reception was poor because it is  far from any broadcasting station.

   I had to wait until I picked up the station again to find out if they landed safely.

   So my memory of the lunar landing is a non memory.

   I imagine most people were glued to their television set to watch the landing. 

   It seems like only yesterday that they landed on the moon.

28 comments:

  1. How frustrating that the radio went off right when they were about to land! Some things do make such an impression on us that all our lives we remember what we were doing when it happened. I am like that with the shooting of Kennedy, the moon landing and with 9-11. I watched the moon landing on TV late at night with my Mother. I was 16 and I remember we could hardly believe what we were seeing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an incredible accomplishment. Nothing was sure.

      Delete
  2. I can't remember very well, the day times are so different in Europe, maybe it was at night. I saw it later on television of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the landing would have been at night in Europe.

      Delete
  3. That's a long, long drive - almost like driving to the moon. Were you wearing a space helmet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a long drive but I had just come out of the north where I got little news and then the moon shot happened.

      Delete
  4. Hello, I remember the moon landing too, like it was yesterday too. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day! Have a happy weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was one of the people glued to my TV, watching the event unfold. It was so thrilling! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was thrilling as it was live and had never been done before.

      Delete
  6. It was definitely one of those moments that captured our attention all across the globe. I was watching it with my grandmother, an immigrant from Poland who had come to America in 1921. I will always remember sharing that moment with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and you could tell us so much more. My Grandma told us that she was born before airplanes and flight and then took a jet back to England for a visit.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Well, what is there north of Lake Superior?

      Delete
  8. It's funny now but I'm sure it was not funny at the time! But you have a very unique memory associated with the moon landing that most people wouldn't have, and it's a great story :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to say I don't remember much of the live coverage. Maybe the time difference was a factor (in the UK) I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been night in the UK when this happened.

      Delete
  10. I remember seeing it on tv but not live. I think I was working at my job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you were probably in bed as it happened here about 3:00 PM.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Red, Great radio story. It's kind of like Murphy's Law or something ... you will lose reception at a critical moment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If it happened these days, they would cut in with a child abduction message from High Level.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good point. I was traveling in France and remember having to get up in the middle of the night to watch the landing ... but I was sleepy enuf that I can barely remember it. It was an incredible feat ... but we all do have lives!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can remember watching on TV with my parents and brother.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oddly I can't recall what I was doing when the Moon landing happened.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do not recall it at all, I was probably at work:)

    ReplyDelete