Sunday, February 23, 2020

TIME GOES FASTER THAN I DO.

    On Friday I met a young guy who I hadn't seen for a long time. Well, I should go back and edit my last sentence. He really wasn't a young guy anymore. He floored me by telling me that he would retire from teaching in two years!

    In my teacher years, did I tell you I've been retired for 22 years? , I was a department head for the last 10 years. I was a department head in three different areas. I enjoyed being department head as we were able to work as a group and set  up a standard program in an area. It's much more efficient to work as a group.

    One of the things I got to do from time to time is be part of a committee that interviewed teachers applying for a position. Somebody would go through all the applications for a job and pick out three that we would interview. 

    So here's where I first met "young man." He was one of the three picked for an interview. One applicant was in his 40's and had taught in a rural area. One standard question was how would you teach this lesson? The guy missed it completely. The second applicant was a woman in her 30's who was working on a master's program. We thought she was just looking for a short term position. The kid was 21 and applying for his first job. He nailed the lesson. After the interviews and we were going over things we decided to take the kid. Give him a chance. If he didn't turn out we could let him go as it was a contract but we wanted to take a good look at someone for a permanent contract and this was a chance for us and him. 

    Well, that was 1992. Obviously we kept him. Obviously he could teach. I liked watching him teach as he would involve the kids in the procedure. No just sitting there in a day dream for those kids. They had to participate.

    So the other day when I met "him" I was surprised that for him  retirement was right around the corner.

   Time had really gone by me on this one.

39 comments:

  1. What a great story!

    From 1992 to 2020 is twenty-eight years - that is a short career compared to a lot. Is that standard in Alberta? My husband has been in the same line of work for forty-five years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not standard. I think he will be a couple of years before receiving pension. His wife is not well so I think that has played into the plan.

      Delete
  2. That is a wonderful story Red. It is truly a gifted teacher that is able to keep the students involved and interested. Those are the teachers I remember even today. As to the time going by so quickly, well I think that one is happening to all of us more and more. It is a shock sometimes isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be a shock but I look back and I've been very fortunate and had a good life.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes we forget how old we are, that is only a good sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good point. My head is back in my teens.

      Delete
  4. Time does fly. It's amazing that your committee gave a chance to someone young and he proved to be a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Young teachers have to have a chance. I started when I was 18. I was not good but the only thing they had. With experience I improved.

      Delete
  5. The older we get the fast time goes. I will be seventy-seven years old later this week, and who can believe that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me 80 came up in a hurry and it's a different kind of birthday milestone.

      Delete
  6. Oh yes! I am pushing toward 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On my last eye test the doctor told me I was pushing 80!, who was a former student, told my I was pushing 80!!!

      Delete
  7. I retired after 38 years working in the same establishment. It was long ago now, too, and I see on Facebook that many youngsters I worked with are now retiring. It's a bit jarring for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I taught for 37 years. I do it all over again in a heart beat.

      Delete
  8. I had the same reaction. He retiring (if I did the math right) at age 49? Should keep the good teachers longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit out on his age when he started. He won't get retirement for a couple of years but his wife is not well so he has another job to do.

      Delete
  9. I'm afraid that time plays tricks upon us all now that we have so much of it behind us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So is it time playing tricks on us or are we playing tricks on ourselves?

      Delete
  10. Time really does fly by. I sometimes connect with former students on Facebook, and they're already in their 40s and have teenage children. It really surprises me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kids we taught can really surprise us. Being retired for 22 years gives you the opportunity to meet many former students. I still live in the same community that I taught in.

      Delete
  11. I miss good teachers. WE are getting fewer and fewer because the hours are long and the pay is poor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Society has changed an many students ore very difficult.

      Delete
  12. Hello, the years are flying by, I retired December 5 years ago. It feels like yesterday. Nice story! Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But retirement is grand. We get to do some pretty neat things if we get out in the community. I volunteered for front of house at one of the local theaters.

      Delete
  13. Isn’t it amazing how you can come to spot a very young person who has “got what it takes” to be a good teacher long term. In the later years of my career I could do it quite quickly, too. I’m glad your talented young man didn’t sell out along the way. I’m sure he went on to inspire many students and richly deserves his retirement ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He made this old teacher take a look and then try to update some strategies.

      Delete
  14. Yeah for picking the right teacher and a good one at that! I bet he touched many childrens lives:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did a lot of volunteer stuff with kids other than just teach.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. I also had many student teachers. sometimes I wasn't even asked...just told that somebody would show up Mon. morning.

      Delete
  16. Since I've retired the years go by much faster than they did when I worked full time. Can't believe I retired 21 years ago. Kind of scary.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those numbers do get scary but we are fortunate as our parents generation didn't have an opportunity for a good retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's alarming how time flies, isn't it? The kids who were in fifth grade when I first started working at the school where I now work are graduating this year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like you made a good choice so many years ago, Red.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Time does fly by us but hopefully we got to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know what you mean about time. I taught first grade and one of my students just sent me a book he wrote that was published. Blew me away!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Time just zips right by! I'm often surprised - but shouldn't be - how young some of the people in the workforce seem. The next generation has grown up and is now filling positions!

    ReplyDelete