Tuesday, October 6, 2020

EDUCATION OF A PRAIRIE BOY PART 7

        This section will cover my grade eight and nine years . Again for the same reason as other groupings...I had the same teacher.

       All the time that institutional learning takes place, lots of learning takes place outside of school. This is one thing I stressed at the beginning of this series. What you learn in school helps you make sense of things in society. The reverse works when we learn things in school.

      As I grew up I gradually did more work on the farm. Much labor was needed on small farms. People like my Dad couldn't afford to hire people to work for him so his sons pitched in and did much farm work. We could run most farm equipment. We milked cows and fed livestock. Most of the time it was pleasant and I learned to work hard. Making hay wasn't much fun. As a result I missed many days of school in the spring and fall. In the fall I had to help with harvesting.We put in long hours and worked until midnight. Absence from school was also caused by some illness and times when weather prevented us from getting to school. 

    My grade eight and nine teacher had taught in the same school from 1938 -44. She was known to be extremely tough and was very much disliked. In 1953 the school board needed a teacher and asked her if she would teach again. Her comment was that she had mellowed. Indeed she had changed greatly. There were about 12 kids and I remember her usually standing in the middle of the group and giving directions and helping kids. It was a good strategy as all kids received attention. It was like one big family. Yes, she had mellowed and was liked. 

     Again, I got to spend time in the library lost in some books. Other kids didn't care to visit the library so I was not interrupted. 

     I was now one of the two big guys in the school. We had clout! We got to organize some of the activities. 

   At that time many of the farm boys dropped out of school at the end of gr. eight. I thought that I would drop out. But not me! My parents insisted that I continue with school. 

     Grade nine was a whole new world. They didn't teach grade nine in the country schools. They had a system called Correspondence school. All lessons and assignments were made up and sent out by the Dept. of Education in the mail. There was a schedule for the student to do the work. For me , it was decided that I should sit in the school and work on the lessons. It was thought that this would keep me more structured. I needed help sending the lessons to the Dept of Education for marking. I credit my Dad for helping me to stay organized and do assignments on time. I remember him going over the corrections when the lessons came back. With Dad's help I was able to pass gr. nine. Since I'm a bit of an introvert this program suited me.

36 comments:

  1. Hello,
    It is was hard for me to learn from a teacher I did not like, some teachers could just be boring reading from a text book. I was lucky to change classes, sometimes I had 3 teachers for different subjects each day. You must have been busy, doing school work and work on the farm. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were active. We didn't have TV to take up our time.

      Delete
  2. As an introvert, I wonder how I would have done with remote learning. I was a pretty poor student for most of my years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got by with minimum effort so my marks were not good.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting memories of a time many of us could never know anything about. I like the story of the teacher who mellowed. I wonder if she was now liked by the other students as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had married a farmer in the district so was part of the community and friends with all.

      Delete
  4. “Absence from school was also caused by some illness and times when weather prevented us from getting to school.” Back in those days did you have “snow days” like the kids now? If not, did you have to make up the days you missed? And, another question … “Other kids didn't care to visit the library so I was not interrupted.” Was there a separate room for the library or just a part of the room all the kids were in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a sense the people had when it was too bad to go to school. We did not have to make up days. some years I only attended 140 days. School was open close to 200 days a year. The library was a little room about 6 x8 with a glass door so that the teacher could keep an eye on you.

      Delete
  5. I continue to be surprised by your early days as a student. What it took to be dedicated and persistent with your educational experience. Thank you for sharing these stories. I am looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not a hard worker. I did enough to get by. My marks were poor.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Yes, we had fun. Lots of support for each other.

      Delete
  7. You really had to be dedicated and have family support to continue on in school where you lived, especially with all of your farm work too. Your educational experience was so totally different than mine so it is so interesting to read about yours. Thanks so much for sharing your memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the dedication came from Mom and Dad. I did only enough work to get by.

      Delete
  8. Ironic, many kids are in as good as correspondence. Not as good as, though. Our poor grandies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been thinking about this situation. It's a tough way to learn. You need people around you.

      Delete
  9. How nice that your teacher later returned improved from the teacher she previously was for the class. I know it was difficult for boys living on a farm to successfully continue their education. You've done very well with your education Red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This lady married a local farmer and became part of the community. She had known some of us all of our lives.

      Delete
  10. It is interesting for this Newfoundland girl to see how kids left school to work on the farm out west. In Newfoundland, they left school to go fishing and in later years, to work in the fish plant.

    Your correspondence school wasn’t a whole lot different from how things are for kids today in the pandemic. Everything old is new again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, online learning is just high tech of my correspondence. I've been thinking about this comparison.

      Delete
  11. It's good that your dad kept the structure in your school learning. It surely kept you interested and performing well. Nice memory Red and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad finished his gr 10 in 1929. W e all know what happened then. It was not possible for him to continue and he regretted it.

      Delete
  12. You were lucky to have such caring parents who valued education and supported your learning. I think it’s great that your teacher mellowed. Maybe she just learned that kindness will promote better learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had married a local farmer and stayed in the district. She knew all of us . Many of us were born while she lived there.

      Delete
  13. Very interesting a teacher had adopted a new teaching style. Sad no one ever investigated how and why she did it. But a great new style for you students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In those days she would have been considered a good teacher as she had good discipline.

      Delete
  14. Yes, Mom and Dad helped a great deal. I was not a hard worker. I did just enough to get by.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "Hey, where's Keith?"
    "Doh! He's in the library again. Where else?"
    "What's he wanna go readin' all them books fer?"
    "Because he aims to get out of Esk. One day."
    "What's he wanna get out of Esk fer?"
    "Search me. Now let's go and play ball with the other guys."

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoy hearing about your education!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Olá, bom dia. Eu fiz uma campanha para arrecadar fundos para voltar para minha Terra. Se você puder colaborar clique:
    https://www.kickante.com.br/campanhas/lupus-fibromialgia-nao-consigo-trabalhar
    Que Deus te dê em dobro.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This has been quite an interesting series!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How nice to read that your dad helped with the school lessons, which may have been in appreciation for the work that you and your brothers did on the farm, Red.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The micromanager has my sympathy. Foot problems really reduce the ability to live life.
    Orthotics can be very helpful but are expensive and don't fit all shoes so then ones shoes have to change and clothing choices and on it goes.....

    Grocery shopping for one's self is easy enough, shopping for others not so easy but you'll learn her favourites

    ReplyDelete
  21. you made this whole era alive before my eyes dear Red

    being from a village that was situated within small valley i know how weather affect on school attendance
    though i was house girl who did not helped her parents in fields but i saw my male cousins doing so
    this was amazing to know that your father helped you with studies and corrections during assessments
    i knew few farmer fathers who wanted their sons to help them full time by quieting school unfortunately
    we too had a strict teacher disliked by most of students but no reforming was witnessed

    ReplyDelete