Monday, November 9, 2020

ACKNOWLEDGEMENT GOES A LONG WAY

   From the teacher's hat again. 
   
    I started teaching in 1958. Things were much different than today. Kids were about the last thing we thought of. There was some very despicable behaviour by some teachers. Kids were yelled at, shoved, slapped and many other inappropriate behaviours.

     Gradually things began to change. After all school was for kids. School should have been a good place for kids.

    Slowly students were acknowledged for small personal things. One of the best things as far as I was concerned was to acknowledge kids on their birthdays. In the "modern " age of the intercom it was easy to wish a kid a happy birthday. If I saw the kid  in the school I would wish them a happy birthday. I got the feeling that kids really felt good when their birthdays were acknowledged. However, mistakes are made. Sometimes a birthday was missed. Many times I had some little character approach me in tears as their birthday had been forgotten. I would immediately turn on my heel and head to the office to tell them of the error. It was a treat to see a kid's face when the announcement of their birthday came on the intercom. 

     So I learned that these small acknowledgements are very meaningful to people. 

    A few days ago there was a big sign and 50 hearts on stakes in my neighbor's yard. It was their 50th anniversary. I phoned them later on in the day to wish them well. I couldn't believe how happy they both were that I had phoned. 




    Another neighbor stopped the other day and in the course of the conversation said his birthday was the next day. I immediately wished him happy birthday. He appreciated the unexpected greeting.

    So I think that if we all gave some acknowledgement to the people around us the world would be  better place. A person receiving a greeting is happy to be noticed. The people making the greeting feel good about themselves.

    Donald Trump seemed to go out of his way to insult anybody he saw. Wouldn't it have been much better for everybody concerned if a decent approach had been taken towards people . As it is we have ended up with a very sad and negative situation. 

37 comments:

  1. Many people are good at dishing out criticism and negativity. Better to say nice things whenever you can and as you suggest - just some kind of acknowledgement. If we all did that it would make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it is easier to be negative and critical.

      Delete
  2. Every child likes to have a birthday in school. I remember I had a new dress and a basket with sweets with me when I went to school on my birthday. I was put on a chair in front of the class and they all sang a "Happy Birthday" song to me with three hurray's at the end. And then I offerered them my sweets. Now the sweets are forbidden and they have to offer fruits....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was never big on birthdays but I admit I get a charge out of all the "happy birthday" greetings I receive on Facebook. It's made me more aware of remembering others' birthdays too. You're right -- acknowledgement and civility are important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    The world would be a better place for all of us, if everyone was kind. Don only cared about himself and he was a bully, worst president ever. He lies so much, people are brainwashed to believe a lie if they hear so often. Our country needs to heal and unite. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's incredible how much harm one person can do.

      Delete
  5. You were and are very thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Love these stories to remind us to be kind with these sweet gestures. The other day our grand-daughter celebrated her 9th birthday. We have been keeping our social distance, but drove over to briefly celebrate. We wore our special hats. Roger's hat has the word "Happy" on it and mine has "Birthday." We danced and sang and acted very goofy for her. She loved it and so did we!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it that you guys were goofy. We all need to be goofy once in a while.

      Delete
  7. You are right, small acknowledgements are actually big to the person remembered. It's not that hard to do and it makes us all feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved having my birthday acknowledged until I got so old. Now it's something I try to forget! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know the older I get the more important the birthdays become.

      Delete
  9. Very nice story, I enjoyed it and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great idea with the hearts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed the Micro Manager's help to see that they were hearts.

      Delete
  11. You are correct that we all appreciate acknowledgements. It's often enough just to smile and say hello. We try to do that when we meet people on our daily walks in the neighborhood. They respond back in a friendly manner. It feels good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oer all the years I biked I tried to say hello to all the people I met.

      Delete
  12. You are right, Red. The world would be a better place if people were kinder (especially Trump!) When is your birthday? I will mark my calendar and remember to send you a birthday message!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You missed my birthday. I just had it and turned 81.

      Delete
  13. Very well said.

    Donald is a sad, sad man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Studies on Donald will be very interesting for a long time.

      Delete
  14. So totally true. I used to give people I worked with a rose on their birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well said, Red. It takes such little effort but it can mean the world, especially to someone who is shut in, lives alone, or has few relatives or friends. As we get older many of us will be one or all of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Many people need such greetings.

      Delete
  16. thank you for the treasured sharing dear Red !

    i am really truly appreciating your series of posts about your old days
    i remember times when kids were last concern for most of parents and teachers indeed ,serious and insulting punishments were common specially in small villages ,a teacher got infamy for her cruelty towards kids ,she was exiled when she broke finger of student
    it was relief to witness when parents and teachers started to treat kids as a complete personality and scolding slapping front of others was forbidden
    i agree that small acknowledgements play very important roll in creating healthy relationships with others and i am glad you cherished hearts around you so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It costs nothing to be kind. And it can make a difference in someone's day. If only more of us would do this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are absolutely correct. One of my first jobs every day is to see who has an up and coming birthday and prepare a card for sending. It's hard at the moment with cards taking so long to get to far away places so it takes planning.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "... if we all gave some acknowledgement to the people around us the world would be better place." Amen. Thank you, Red, for an excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the hearts in the yard to acknowledge such an important occasion. For some reason, here in the South they seem to prefer a flock of plastic flamingos to surprise someone with a yard greeting. I like the hearts better.
    As I remember when I was in elementary school, birthdays were acknowledged by your mom bringing a treat for the class to share while everyone sang the birthday song. I always felt bad for kids whose birthday was in the summer because they never got to be recognized. My sister was one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Especially now it’s important to acknowledge people either for special occasions like a birthday or anniversary, but just a phone call or note is also a nice gesture.

    ReplyDelete
  22. And we are STILL in a bad situation with Trump. He just won’t go away or do his job. He spends his entire time either complaining about the election being stolen or firing someone who didn’t agree with him (by tweet) or golfing. It’s amazing how low he can go.

    ReplyDelete