Friday, March 26, 2021

MOTHERS

     Recently I had an epiphany that the female side of my family also have a story to be told. There is not as much information on the maternal side but nevertheless it's important. 

     My great grandma Barbara was born in  1840 and died in 1911. She was married in 1862. She died before my Dad was born so I didn't get stories from him about his grandmother. My oldest aunt would have been about 11 when her grandma died but Aunt Martha didn't live close to us so we didn't get the stories. When my great grandma  came to Canada she brought all of her adult children. She was 65 years old when she came to the homestead.  She lived in a very small wooden house which was poorly built and very cold. She died of tuberculosis in 1911. 

      My grandma Caroline was born in 1874   and died in 1948. Grandma was a very hard working woman who survived under harsh circumstances. She never had electricity in her house and running water came in a pail from the well. So it was much work for her to raise 8 children under these circumstances. 

     Grandma had to be industrious to have enough food to last for a year. She was a skillful gardener and raised enough food to keep her family fed for the year. Her children spent much time in the garden weeding and then had to bring water by pail to water some of the plants. She had chickens, ducks and geese that provided meat and the chickens also produced eggs. They sometimes gathered wild duck eggs. My aunt told me how grandma told her to tell the difference between a fresh duck egg and one that had been hatching. She was also told to only take one or two eggs at a time. She also had a few cows so had milk and cream. Some game was also taken from time to time. 

     Very little was bought from the store...sugar, salt, coffee, yeast. Grain was hauled to a mill and made into flour. 

     Cabbages and potatoes were the main crop. The cabbages were made into sauerkraut and in that way the cabbage was preserved. 

     I remember going to grandma's house when some of her sons were there. They would talk about the good donuts Grandma made. In no time flat donuts were being made . I remember these fresh donuts and how Dad and his brothers enjoyed coffee and donuts. The family always spoke German when they were together as this was their first language. 

    At one time Grandma made all clothing for the family. It's amazing how much she could knit...socks, mitts, hats and more. They made goose down quilts. The houses would freeze out at night so a goose down quilt kept you warm. I remember Grandma and her daughter in laws making a quilt . They worked quickly but it was a lot of work. My cousin Betty sat under the frame and pushed the needles back up to the top. At the end of the day they had another quilt made. 

     Grandma was very practical. Houses were cold and she dressed for comfort and not style. She wore combinations fleece lined underwear and felt boots. 

     In 1946 Grandma moved into the little village into a house with no running water or electricity. 

    At 70 years of age they had no savings and were supported by some of their children. They each got a $5.00 per month old age pension. Other than that they still raised their own food. 

    Looking back she lived a very successful life under challenging circumstances. 

    We liked our Grandma even if most of the time she was busy and rather stern. She would sometimes take us into the dark stairwell to set the mood and tell us stories that were always scary. I remember her chuckling over these stories. 

    Grandma died in 1948 at age 72 . 

37 comments:

  1. Both of my grandmothers died before I was born. I would love to have known them. The three of us (mom, dad, me) lived in Texas. And One grandfather died in Iowa when I was about 8 without my ever meeting him. I met the other grandfather in Pennsylvania when I was about 14 and I saw him two more times before he died. He saw all 3 of my children at one time when they were very small and he was 93. He died two years later. I wish our family had had more contact with one another...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have spread out and it makes family get togethers a challenge. On the other hand, flying has made us fairly close together.

      Delete
  2. I am now craving donuts. It's 5am here. We're 'shielding' against covid and getting our food delivered. Our weekly delivery is coming in the morning. Unfortunately I didn't order any donuts. I've just googled the recipe. Making them looks like a big job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home made donuts made with "real" stuff are the best. These were always warm to hot.

      Delete
  3. Hello,
    Wonderful memories of your Grandma. I was very close to my grandmother. I spent a lot of time with her teaching me how to bake. Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For many, grandma teaching how to bake was very special.

      Delete
  4. You have done very well in describing her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How different it was back then. These days, we complain about the time it takes us to drive to the grocery store for a sack of potatoes and can of sauerkraut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have many more distractions today that waste our time...television.

      Delete
  6. I love reading the details of your grandmother's life. I can't even imagine what it must have been like to work that hard all day to keep the house warm, get food on the table, and water. Truly a a life that required great strength and stamina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had eight children so she had some slavery to help her.

      Delete
  7. I am certainly a spoiled baby compared to your Grandma! What can I possibly complain about with my pampered life! I love hearing about her life and how she managed to work, provide for her family, and thrive. I hope she had many moments of joy and was proud of her accomplishments. Thanks, Red!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that she was a story teller, and got such pleasure out of it. And now you're telling her story. Very nice to hear about your grandmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and yet there's so much missing from her story. that comes tomorrow.

      Delete
  9. Hi Red, Interesting read about your Grandma. I guess the thing that impresses me the most is how self-sufficient she was. Modern day folks are mad when their electricity goes off and even worse when running water is not available. To think that she lived every day like that in a normal way is just amazing. I got a kick out of her telling you scary stories in the dark stairwell and chuckling about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a pleasure in physical activity and being tired.

      Delete
  10. What a lovely story about the women in your life. Your grandmother sounds like a very nice and hard working woman. She knew how to live even though it was hard. Many of us today wouldn't be able to do what she did and do it without complaining. Thanks for sharing this lovely family story. Have a wonderful weekend, Red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well . grandma probably did her share of complaining.

      Delete
  11. They were hardy people, our grandparents and great grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that your grandma told you scary stories in the dark! My Norwegian grandma did that, too, and I remember some of them yet. My mom wasn’t too happy with her because she thought it was inappropriate to scare us like that but we loved her and her stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were the stories that they knew. Telling story orally is much different than a written story.

      Delete
  13. I enjoyed learning about Grandma and all she accomplished in her life. She was a real hard worker and she lived a good long life, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In spite of everything she was happy.

      Delete
  14. Wonderful biographies, Red. I think without those women the families would not have got on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These grandmas and Moms were certainly the backbone of the family.

      Delete
  15. Love these stories of your grans. Imagine how hard they worked! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing Red. Life out on the Canadian prairieland must have been incredibly tough for nineteenth century immigrants from Europe. And of course it was up to the women to hold domestic life together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My grandmothers had similar hard working lives. It always amazes me how they survived and managed under such harsh conditions. And raised big families! It makes me feel like a wimp, living in modern luxury.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoyed hearing about these special women in your family! Some of these stories remind me of what my Dad used to tell us about growing up on a farm in the 1920s and 1930s. They had 13 children and no water or electricity. After all the kids grew up they got together and paid to have a bathroom added to their parents house. It was a big deal! Thanks for sharing your stories. I always enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow she had a life full of work to raise all those kids. Oh now I am hungry for homemade doughnuts and sauerkraut!

    ReplyDelete
  20. such beautiful and inspiring story dear Red!

    your one line that she lived a very successful life is greatest tribute to her i believe ,i am truly fan of such incredible women who face so many hard times in their life but never give up ,life of your grandma was almost like life of my mother when she moved to village.
    i think it is rare to find such undefeated courage and love of family now days ,since people are having self awareness ,their selfless love for others has decreased and they are becoming more and more self centered ,and call a life successful where they earn comfort for only themselves sadly i really feel for generations that will grow in coming times

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so impressed with all the family history you have been able to document, Red. It's just amazing what our ancestors had to contend with.

    ReplyDelete