Monday, April 4, 2022

SPRING YARD CARE BEGINS

        Yesterday I started my spring yard work. No, I'm not stiff and sore today. 

        Here the first order of business is to clean off the lawn from winter debris. About the end of October the grass has been frozen so many times that it's  not green any more ,  just brown. Yardwork is finished for the season except for some shrub and tree pruning. Through the winter dust, dirt, leaves and assorted junk finds it's way on the grass.

       So as soon as it's ready we begin cleaning up the grass. There are four choices of how to do this job. You can ignore it and not do anything. You can hire a contractor who cleans yards. You can attach a dethatcher to your lawn mower and this acts like a rake. Or you can get out your grass rake and rake by hand!

      Well, of these four , you know the one I choose. Yes, rake the whole thing by hand. It usually involves three or four times over the grass. 

      We can't get started at this job until things dry up. I rake the parts that dry up first. Work on flower beds won't start until later as the soil is far too wet. 

     The photos show that there are areas of the yard that are still snow covered.  I rake the dry areas first and then the other areas will be dry by the time I'm finished. 




     It's late before our snow has melted but the days are long and plants soon grow very  quickly. 

23 comments:

  1. Hi Red, We still have snow but I am with you on getting the raking done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    My hubby has been working on the yard, the never ending collection of leaves is his duty. Take care, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve been doing yard work all week but we have several acres and there is no way in heck I’m raking all that. Picking up sticks and neatening the landscaping takes all my efforts. The rest gets mulched in with the mower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wife Days that we have to wait for 10 days > 0C or else we could disturb the bees etc. I am willing to wait even longer. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. I prefer to use a hand-rake on our yard too. I'm not a fan of blowers and other mechanical devices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course you would do it by hand. Glad to see and hear your snow is almost all gone! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring has definitely begun, even with that bit of snow still on your lawn.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to rake by hand all the time. The blowers are so noisey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We still have lots of snow on the front lawn from the snow plow pushing it back there. It’s too early for yard work here. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's years since I de-thatched etc mine by hand. It takes me several weeks using a machine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Raking by hand is good exercise! Just make sure to wear gloves to avoid blisters after a long winter :)

    I would be out raking except I'd need to shovel the snow off the lawn first. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those lawnmower thatcher blades really chew up your lawn. Usually have to reseed parts of it.
    We are picking up tree limbs today after the April squalls hit over the last 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You sure are getting a head start on your lawn. You'll have it looking great early starting now. It's still too wet here to do much yet but I am picking up limbs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Same sort of yard work will go on here as soon as it warms up a little.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We've got some snow here and there, but most of it is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Raking is a wonderful exercise for children.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's hard work but always satisfying to see the garden cleaned up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love to watch the world come alive in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoy working in the yard, but have to wear gloves or I end up with blisters. Happy to hear that your birds are returning.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There's nothing like a plain old yard rake for making the yard look good. I never got the leaves raked in the fall because of my broken wrist. My husband finally helped me get the biggest part blown into the woods with a leaf blower. I may never get caught up with the yard work again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. We haven't started yet. But when we do, raking will be at the top of the list. I enjoy being in the garden and I really look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i think doing this by hand is therapeutic :)

    i saw my mom doing it whole heartedly and the smile that would shine her face throughout the cleaning ,i am not on that level but yes whne i cut garden grass with hands the certain touch of joy lasts in the heart for long :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. One thing about living in Hawaii, things are always growing and needing to be pruned, cleaned, etc. Right now, mom takes care of most of it. She's 93 and it's her exercise.

    ReplyDelete