Sunday, July 24, 2022

MORE ON COGNITIVE ISSUES

      I have written on this topic before and some of you may remember that post. It fits in with my last post.

      In 2008 I had a two hour period where I did not make new memories. I came in the house and saw that it was 12:20 PM and didn't know where I had been. I usually make lunch around 11:30. So I had no memory of the last two hours. The micro manager said quick. We have to get to emergency because you're having a TIA. So off we go and I'm driving. Many times the Micro Manager starts a trip and then says I wonder if I turned the stove off.  Apparently, I turned around and took her back home and then went to emergency. 

     I thought I was only minutes in emergency before they scanned me. Apparently I had to wait. They did many tests and couldn't find a problem. They had me stay all day for observation. From about 1:30 on I was again making new memories. I was sent home.

    Three years later I had the same situation. I had the same neurologist. She said , there's no sense in doing the tests over again because they will show that you are fine. But, she said there's one test we haven't done. We haven't done an  EEG with sleep deprivation. So I had to stay awake all night and go at 9:00 Am for and EEG. The EEG showed an area in the brain that indicated seizures. 

    Now many seniors have this condition and it's not diagnosed and they are treated as if they have permanent damage or aging. The situation is easily controlled by medication. For me it's lamotrigine.

    Check this link and you will find lots of information on this topic. I happened to have been very lucky to have and excellent neurologist who diagnosed me.

     So now I'm as good a forgetter as the rest of you. 

36 comments:

  1. You need to remember that you are a good forgetter. And the minute you forget getting memories to forget, have yourself whisked back to that excellent neurologist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice. she is still hear and runs a practice.

      Delete
  2. I recall several posts where you were not satisfied with the health care system, so it is good to see one where you are happy with the neurologist. I do not know about this exact condition you are treating but I do know a lot of seniors have trouble sleeping well. Quick question: Are you riding your bike this summer or getting out for regular walks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I retired from cycling on Oct 21 2019

      Delete
  3. I found it quite funny that you were going to emergency but went home to check on the iron!
    I've never heard of this condition, it's very interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of it before. I myself had juvenile epilepsy but she said this had nothing to do with the junior epilepsy.

      Delete
  4. I have never heard of this, Red, but I can see that it can be very helpful to keep a micromanager on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow; that's interesting testing and interesting results. (I've had patients being admitting to the hospital, tell me they wanted to stop at McDonalds first before coming to the ER, all while having heart attacks or stroke symptoms. I think it was Kay Musings who suggested taking a pic of the iron or stove, so when you're wondering, you can check your cell phone pic. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would save us a lot of trouble but we don't have a cell phone.

      Delete
  6. The condition is new to me. Good to hear that there is medication that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When she told me what the diagnosis was I didn't believe her and came home to the computer. The first thing I saw was this exact issue.

      Delete
  7. Hello,
    I am glad you have found a doctor you trust and like and that there is medicine to help with your diagnosis. My doctor is always telling me sleep is very important. Take care, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say enough about this neurologist.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you are okay and that you are being treated by a very competent doctor, Red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I could still be wandering around in a fog if this neurologist didn't know what she was doing.

      Delete
  9. What a scary things, mostly for those around you. It is great that they were able to diagnose and treat the condition. I'm sure the micro manager sleeps better at night now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a three year interval between the two events.

      Delete
  10. My ex-BiL is having a lot of seizures — or has had. Not sure of the present moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was not the kind of seizure where there is body shaking.

      Delete
  11. My daughter had to have EEG with sleep deprivation when she was in 5th grade as she had nocturnal seizures. She was on medicine for a several years until she grew out of it.
    I am glad you got to the bottom of your memory problem and hope you have happy memories for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same seizures as a youngster and luckily grew out of when puberty hit.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I learned a few things with this issue.

      Delete
  13. That is so interesting and scary, Red. I didn't know the brain could have seizures like that that you don't actually feel but causes memory loss. I'm glad there's a good medication for it. Take care there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite a bit of research has been done on this issue in the last few years.

      Delete
  14. Thanks for sharing your experience, Red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel badly for people who are not diagnosed.

      Delete
  15. My cousin's husband has a kind of epilepsy that among other things erases older memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The erasing of past memory would be cruel.

      Delete
  16. Interesting. We're still not sure what's going on with my brain or nervous system. We think we know what it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The part that made my hair stand on end was you driving yourself to the hospital!!! I'm glad medication has taken care of the seizures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a good Doctor! Keep taking your medications!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you are getting things sorted out. Old age is such a challenge, with poor JB coughing for 6 months.
    Take care!
    (ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think i will be back anytime to check this link dear Red .i am thankful that you had a very nice nuorologist who diagnosed you accurately which is most important here .

    ReplyDelete