Wednesday, November 23, 2022

TODAY WAS THE DAY...

       Today was the day I had my annual health check up.

       I've had annual check ups almost every year since my mid 40's.

       Things have gradually changed over the years. At one time cholesterol was a major concern in the check up. Cholesterol was carefully checked and monitored. We were given all kinds of advice for our diet and how it could control our cholesterol. Now , Cholesterol is hardly mentioned. 

      Tests have been added, changed  and deleted. One test I disliked intensely was the occult blood test which was taken from stool samples. That test is gone. How it's measured now, I have no idea. The measurement units in some tests have been changed. 

      Over this time I've had two family doctors. As the years passed they learned new things and the examination changes.

     I have an excellent family Doc now and he is very thorough in his examination. You sense that what he feels with his hands goes to his brain. He feels glands, spleen, liver and kidneys. Maybe more. I don't know. 

      Here you have a pre visit where all kinds of lab tests are given. When you go for the check up, he goes over all these tests with you and explains what the results mean. If further testing is needed it is arranged for at that time.  

      So today for almost all issues his comment was "That's good". The only problem I have is a saturated iron level so I'm to go off my iron. So I will be tested to see if there's any damage done. 

     With that he continues a couple of things that he monitors.

     Then I was free to go with a good bill of health for a rather elderly male. 

     It was a good day. 

28 comments:

  1. Congrats Mr. Red! Happy Turkey Day! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fortunate to have good health. I also love turkey but had mine about 5 weeks ago as I'm from Canada.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    Congrats, on your good health report. It makes sense to have the lab work done before your check up. I wish all doctors did it that way. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having lab work done before the examination makes sense. It's a much better check up.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your good results, and Happy Thanksgiving, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Have a great time in the sun!

      Delete
  4. My iron levels from time to time are insufficient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Docs admit that they don't have much understanding of how iron behaves sometimes.

      Delete
  5. That seems very thorough and reassuring. I get sent for bloodwork, but it is not accompanied by a physical exam. I don’t know about that poop test. When did I last have one? It doesn’t seem too long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last poop test was probably quite while ago. I just hated that test.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful news to get a good bill of health. Keep on doing what you do, it's working! (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Red, I know the procedure well and it sounds like you got a good report all the way around. Congrats on the excellent family Doc. Thanks for you kind Thanksgiving Day comment on John’s Island. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to be looking at tests a little differently now. The number is usually plus or minus.

      Delete
  8. That's terrific, Red! How nice to get such a thorough examination from one doctor. Seems like I have to see several doctors to get everything looked at! What counts is your healthy! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy for you, Red. My day is next month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always nice to have good results with your health tests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good results are comforting but it's not any guarantee.

      Delete
  11. Good stuff! A clean bill of health is always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The annual check up certainly has changed, Now much is down to some bloodwork and see you in six months.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a good report. You are fortunate to be in such good health.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good health!! You are very lucky elder. I have had maybe 8 or 9 primary care doctors over my life. I have changed down here twice and think Ihave found a doc that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sure makes you feel good to hear your doctor say, everything looks good. Just read your last post...Hope the man wears his hearing aids from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It sure sounds like you have a wonderful doctor. Congratulations on your great bill of health.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! That is just awesome! I'm happy not to be required to do that hemoccult slide thing too. Now they're just giving me the colonoscopy which I dislike equally. Ah well...

    ReplyDelete