Saturday, March 4, 2023

SOME HISTORY IS RECENT

     Yesterday I told you of my interest in family  and local history. However, my real passion is for Western Canadian history. I read every book I can find on Western Canadian history. 

     I wrote about the family farm I grew up on. Running across some of that land was the Carlton Trail. This trail and a number of others that connected to it ran from Winnipeg , Manitoba to Edmonton Alberta a distance of about 900 mi or 1450 km. When I was a kid in the 40's and 50's you could still see the ruts from this trail. I still know where to find some evidence of the trail. 

     The transportation system using the trail started in the 1870's . There were no railroads so supplies and trading goods were hauled from Winnipeg to Edmonton by ox cart. Each cart carried about 1000 lb and was pulled by one ox. The cart was made completely of wood and hide. 

      Western Canada was basically empty at the time. There were a few bands of first nations who roamed the area looking for buffalo. There were a few  traders. There was the odd farm.  There were no railroads and very little farming had been developed. Farm products were consumed locally as there was not transportation to send it to a place to sell it. . Local flour mills milled flour. 

      The oxcarts started at Winnipeg in the spring heading to Edmonton. Usually one man had several oxcarts. Oxen were used as they didn't need grain whereas horses needed grain. Too much grain would have to be hauled in place of freight. The men made and ate bannock and salt pork. Some game was taken and some wild berries were also available. Pemmican was also used for food. 

     So finally all the oxcarts got to Edmonton. So did they turn their oxcarts around and go back to Winnipeg? No way. The oxen were left at Edmonton to be used for beef. The ox cart drivers walked back to Winnipeg. 

     All this seems hard to believe. The men were tough...very very tough.

     So I like learning about the developments in Western Canada which wasn't that long ago. 

    My ancestors came here in 1905. There were railroads but none where they settled. 

36 comments:

  1. Thank you Keith I appreciate your blog. Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a short time ago but what a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It was tough and they didn't live very long.

      Delete
  4. We are such wimps now, aren't we, Red?! Compared to the men you mentioned and your earlier relatives...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolute wimps we are. I've slept in a tent in November. It's cold.

      Delete
  5. Weaver of GrassSunday, March 05, 2023

    My late husband and I spent many happy holidays in Canada - lovely people, lovely scenery, everything about it was to our likimg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a positive attitude where ever you go so you will like places.

      Delete
  6. I grew up on a farm in Illinois. Dad would find stone arrowheads when he plowed a field. I wonder how people survived back in 1820. We have a goal to visit Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We found some arrow heads and hammers. Life expectancy was very short at that time.

      Delete
  7. Our ancestors were a lot tougher than today's people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were tough but the life expectance was not long.

      Delete
  8. Pioneering the land was a harsh way to live, but obviously many stuck it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tough and life expectancy was very low.

      Delete
  9. Red, This is interesting. The Carlton Trail … I had to get on the web and check it out. The thought that the ox cart drivers WALKED back to Winnipeg is hard to imagine. Next thing I did was go to Google Maps and ask how long it would take to walk that trail. The answer is fascinating. I took a screenshot of the map and put it on the web for you to view. Anyone can view this that has the link below. (Copy and paste into your address bar.) Enjoy. John
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/a36r4hsk9vofj76/Long%20Walk.pdf?dl=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They covered tremendous distances by walking. They put in very long days.

      Delete
    2. Hi Red, You didn’t say whether or not you checked out the screenshot link. No worries, it can be a bit daunting. Especially if you are using an iOS device like an iPad. On Dropbox they tell me if any guests try to look at a file and, yes, at least one someone did. Anyway, the main thing is the walk from Edmonton to Winnipeg takes about 262 hours and, of course, that varies depending on the conditions. If someone walked 12 hours a day, it would take about 22 days. Of course, back in the day, a lot would depend on the condition of the trail. I’m guessing today’s estimate is walking along the shoulder of a highway, so there might not be too many obstacles. I hate to ask another question, but if you are still accepting them, do you know of any place along the trail where one can still see the ruts? John

      Delete
    3. John there are many places where the trail is still ruts are still available however, I am guessing where I could find some. I think there are places where they have been saved. Keep on asking questions.

      Delete
  10. I loved Canada when I was a boy but I certainly wouldn't have liked walking 1300 km from Edmonton to Winnipeg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd even like to do that walk once?

      Delete
  11. Walk back? Oh my gosh!!! I feel so lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hard to believe a couple of fellows didn't commandeer a wagon and an ox for the trip back, except they probably could walk further in a day than an ox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got it. They could walk faster than the ox.

      Delete
  13. Wow! That is quite a story, all right. I can see why you are fascinated by the history. They were a different breed of human than any I have known. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Since you are very outdoorsy and a hiker you might like this . Well, maybe 60 years ago before you discovered hiking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fascinating! It seems like western Canada was a big blank page. Those ox cart drivers must have been made of very strong stuff. A 900 mile walk back to Winnipeg! That must have taken them at least three weeks. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Tremendous article! I really appreciate the depth and clarity of your writing."
    ittelkom jakarta

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that these old stories are captured for us to read all these years later. You really ought to give some thought to recording your own stories and memories. If you don't have the time to write it all down, there are plenty of online sites, like NPR's StoryCorp.

    One story from my husband's grandfather. He grew up out west just off the NezPerce Indian Reservation in Idaho. He spent long days playing with the native children in the river. One day, they were playing and someone found a round orange thing floating down the river. Then another. And another. Soon they were coming so fast and furious that it was all the children could do to keep up with them. They amassed a large pile of these things on the shore of the river and then gathered them in shares to take home. They had never seen them before in their lives. They were oranges! A train had wrecked up river and lost part of its cargo. He was an old, old man when I first heard this story 40 years ago. He vividly remembered the shocking sweetness and flavor of those fruits, unmatched by anything he'd ever tasted in his 70 years since.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My first ever visit to Canada many years ago was a journey by rail in the east of your country - I remember many what I woud call 'strip farms' - small homesteads and then the fields stretching a long way back behind the house. Any idea which part I would be in?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow it indeed sounds unbelievable. Walking back such long distance doesn't seem real now days
    Abbbotabad is 68km and my grandmother would go to there by feet to shop. As grandpa was in the army. She would leave before sunrise and would come back after sunset sometime.
    That seems unbelievable to me as we can't imagine to do so with health conditions we are born with

    ReplyDelete