Thursday, July 27, 2023

LUNCH WITH DOUG

      I've told you 1903 times that I was a teacher. Well, not maybe that many times but enough times to make you sick of it. . But I like nothing better than a good long chat especially if the other person does the talking! I'm a listener. And it's better yet if the person I'm talking to is a former student.

     So yesterday I was out for lunch and one of my former long ago students came in and sat down with me for lunch. He was in town visiting his Mother. I think Doug was in Gr. 7 in 1969. That's 54 years ago. We couldn't remember if I had actually taught him or not. So the first topic we had to deal with is that we are both enjoying retirement! It's good for a laugh to have  a chat with a retired student.

     After that, we talked about things that retired people talk about. Since we know many of the same people we try to wonder where some of them are and what they are doing. 

    We also talk about our careers. Doug was one of those guys who found something that was very out of the ordinary to do. But his work was crucial to government and courts functioning smoothly. 

    I wrote in a previous post about Doug taking his curling team to the Canadian Highschool nationals for high school students. His Mom talks to me about that one every time I see her. They were very proud of him and justifiably so. 

    We really teach to have people take our places. It's always a pleasure to meet someone who has replaced us and now is almost finished replacing us. What is left is to do volunteer work for the community which helps the community and gives us personal satisfaction and an opportunity for personal growth. 

     So it was a pleasure to have lunch with Doug as he's from the other end of the country and I was lucky to run into him. 

27 comments:

  1. This is absolutely awesome, Red! And so much fun, too!
    My granddaughter told me that her English/LA teacher in high school asked her if I was Kay -- who taught at -- school. KC told her I was and her teacher told her that I was her 1st grade teacher. You're right about loving how this next generation would be replacing us. I loved knowing that Stacey was now a teacher and also my granddaughter's teacher. Another student wrote a book and sent me a copy that was published. It's a lovely feeling, isn't it? But you taught much longer than I did and touched so many lives in remote places as well. I think that's really, really AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, we were privileged to do what we did. I always look back and say I would do it over in a heart beat.

      Delete
  2. It must be great for you to be able to meet up with one of your students from so long ago. I met one of my teachers once and found it really difficult not to keep addressing him as "Sir"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I insist that former students call me Keith. We're not in the same situation any more. Yes, some of them find it tough to say my first name.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely encounter! Fortuitous indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meet Doug's Mom a couple times a month and he happened to be here visiting.

      Delete
  4. Lucky you. I was chatting with one of my carers the other evening about how much I would love to meet some of my students. The trouble is I have been retired for forty years now and have moved from the Midlands up into the Yorkshire Dales so there is little chance of a meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad that there is little chance you'll meet former students. One of my students lives in the house across the street. I still live in the same area.

      Delete
  5. I agree with everything you said here, Red. Congratulations for having such a nice lunch with Doug and then sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meet Doug's Mom a coupe of times a month.

      Delete
  6. Oh, that sounds like a terrific lunch, Red! I am so glad you ran into him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good visit and we sat at the table a long time.

      Delete
  7. How nice for you. I am also much more of a listener than a talker, which means that we should probably never get together. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely to have a lunch with a former student all these years later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you had a good time chatting with Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds as if this was a special day for you. Sort of a validation...although I can understand that it would a bit of a jolt to know that some of your students are retirement age!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess in your early years of teaching, you weren't much older than the students. It seems like a big gap in age and maturity at the time but it soon closes. Who would have thought you'd be retired and having lunch together? I'm glad you did

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a really good teacher if the former students look you up for a chat. My band director adored his students, and it was hard to call him by his first name. After learning he was only 12 years older than we were, it was a little easier. I visited for a week when he first had alzhemier's and could still remember who I was. I was finally able to tell him lots of things he didn't know about we rowdy band kids, when he was 75 and I was 63. I knew I couldn't get in trouble then. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello,
    Sounds like a great visit with your former student. I am sure it was fun going over old memories. Take care, enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. rhymeswithplagueSaturday, July 29, 2023

    How nice to have a chance encounter with your former student and share a lunch together reminiscing about "old times". I have slowly lost contact with most of my friends from decades ago. Only one or two left.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to meet up with Doug... but what do Canadian blokes have for lunch? I am guessing mooseburgers in maple syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How great to have that unexpected pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am never ever bored with your teaching stories. I since childhood was great listener and I would ask elder people around me to tell their stories.

    Wow sounds amazing that you met your former student who is retired now what a gift .
    I can only imagine the level of joy :)

    ReplyDelete