Friday, September 8, 2023

GOODBYE MAGGIE

       I don't know how many posts I've started with "I was a teacher." Then comes another teacher story.

       During my career I had about 20 student teachers. They came from the University of Alberta and did a 6 week practicum. Sometimes this was split with another teacher. I enjoyed having student teachers as I could keep my eye on what methods were coming up. For most students, you knew they were ready to go. I would check the lesson plan and leave the classroom. They needed space to develop confidence. 

      One of the students I had was Maggie who got her degree at age 40. Maggie had many hardships. Some she bought on herself and others hit her. However,  Maggie had turned her life around and finished an education degree with very high marks. And she came out to do her practicum with me. Maggie struggled with her practicum. She just wasn't confident enough to mix it up with the kids. However, she passed the practicum. Our school hired Maggie on a contract. The principal had confidence that with experience Maggie could teach. 

    Maggie made the decision on her own not to continue teaching. She found something that was very suitable for her. She was hired as  marker for the local college and loved this position as she was much more suited to the college level. The remainder of her career was spent at the college. 

     Maggie struggled with some health conditions. She had fiber myalgia and several other conditions that influenced her quality of life. 

    Even though Maggie lived in town, I didn't see her very often. When we met it was mutual pleasure to have a good visit. 

     Last week Maggie passed away . She knew some terrible struggles in life and also some major achievements. 

27 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your friends death. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was good of you to help her with her student teaching. One of my good friends wanted to be a teacher, but after her successful student teaching, she decided not to start her career as a history teacher. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sympathies for the loss of Maggie
    She lived her life with good purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fine tribute to Maggie and her work. I can understand her difficulties with teaching as I also did a teaching qualification as a mature student and found the crowd-control aspect of the job challenging. I went in the other direction - working 1:1 with behaviour problems and intellectual difficulties and found that work much more satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A major achievement to find her niche and do well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RIP Maggie! Nice tribute post for Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some people are not suited to engaging with a class of young people - however good their marks in exams they just don't enjoy the experience of mixing with, controlling, engaging in a way which encourages young people to want to learn. It sounds as though Maggie was sensible enough to realise that teaching was not for her. Sadly some folk never learn and struggle for years without the satisfaction of seeing their chargess blossom. Rest in peace Maggie - obviously life has in some ways been a struggle - constant ill health is a burden. Lovely the you remember her Red.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the best and most helpful teachers I had was unable to handle classes where show-off loudmouth lads goaded her. I remember them singing Manfred Mann's '5-4-3-2-1" loudly when she covered numbers in German. Sadly, none of us spoke up for her. I also remember having to re-take French in a small group of around 6, and she was brilliant. She gave up teaching in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rest in peace, Maggie. Thank you for telling me about her life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She found her way, and you have remembered her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is happy and sad. What a great teaching story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a sad story, Red, but as a fellow teacher, I know how you’re feeling. We are getting up to the age where we see more of our colleagues are no longer with us. Thanks for sharing Maggie’s story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have shared her story so nicely, Red. I'm glad she found a job that suited her better and I hope she had some happiness in her life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad that Maggie persevered and got a degree and a job that she enjoyed. It sounds like she ultimately had a fulfilling life despite her difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She was a determined woman, thanks for introducing Maggie to us, RIP Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely tribute. Glad she made her road in life.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing this uplifting story. Many people are not cut out to teach, but she found a better way for herself.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bless her for all she did contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some people just keep trying, don't they? I can feel your respect for Maggie and I know the specific sadness we have when someone we don't see to often passes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your last line could sum up the lives of each and every one of us, couldn't it. RIP to Maggie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm impressed with how you and the principal were so supportive of Maggie. I'm also impressed with her perseverance in achieving something she could be proud of. May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice that Maggie found a comfortable niche in education. I also had many student teachers, supervising their practicums. In fact, my second to last one was hired to replace me when I retired!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found this post heatwarming!
    Thanks for sharing her life with .she must be proud whatewhatever she could achieve despite the health issues

    ReplyDelete