Tuesday, February 27, 2024

DETAILS

     In my last post there were details missing that could help to make more sense of the situations. 

     The isolated settlement I went to had 188 Inuit and 12 white guys. I was hired as Local administrator , principal of a two room school and teacher. The administration was a tremendous amount of work but very interesting. For the local Administration I had a one hour open office right after school. With this job I issued welfare money. I would give them gas so that they could go hunting  with canoes or skidoos. I bought soapstone carvings everyday for the government. I had a $2000.00 monthly budget to buy carvings.  I supervised the mechanic who didn't need supervision. I had to check off supplies that came in on the ship. I looked after visiting administrators. Since there were no facilities to look after travelers I looked after them and as a result met some very interesting people. Fred Breumer a noted photographer and author stayed with us for a week. In other words administration at times was a full time job.  However, it was very, very interesting. For all this work I received $1000.00 per year. This was in 1967. 

    The Inuit did not speak English. There were a few younger people who could interpret. The people looked after their own affairs as in if someone died, they looked after all of it. Al and I were worried about the lack of communication. However, they knew this situation was different and did not interfere. 

    I had written to the Quebec Dept. of health describing Alisi but received a blah, blah letter which said they would do nothing. My predecessor had also written. 

    So in less than a year Alisi came back on the  plane with clean clothes and tailor made cigarettes. None of us had any idea that she was coming back. She was not charged but was probably assessed and given medication. I don't know how any assessment could be made as she didn't understand French and they didn't understand Eskimo. I don't know how she would get more medication as we were 300 miles from a pharmacist. 

    One day one of the elders asked me where Alisi's baby was. So the child was taken out so decisions could be made. So none of us had thought about the closure needed for the loss of this child. This was a serious mistake in handling the body.

    However, I've always said that this whole northern experience changed my life forever. 

    In most ways these Inuit were very independent. However, since they were encouraged to live in a village and send their kids to school, they very quickly lost hunting skills or the will to hunt. 

27 comments:

  1. A full time job indeed.

    Such bad handling of people by the government. Such a loss of their skills and life. No thought of proper communication and understanding and finding a way to meet halfway and keep both ends happy.
    But something which has happened all over the world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Governments had the wrong idea about things. They wanted them to forget their language and culture

      Delete
  2. Oh WOW Mr. Red, what an amazing perspective! You're an absolute angel to have helped so much beyond "teacher." We midwesterners have things so easy compared to that life. You need to write a book about your life and times. I'd buy several copies! My daughter-in-law is a math teacher in a suburban high school. Your stories would certainly brighten a teacher's day during the rough patches.
    Is the "village" still there? Guess it at least had a bank? I'm picturing scenes from that old TV series "Northern Exposure."
    Linda in Kansas where it snowed a bit today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I wasn't so lazy I could pull posts out of this blog and have the basics for a biography. the village is still there but the population has risen to near 1000. There was no bank just a very limited trading post that traded skins for whatever was in the store. From the beginning of the school year until Christmas I spent $2.79. There was no need for money as there was nothing I wanted to buy.

      Delete
  3. At the time, it seems you did the best you could do. Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I entered a comment, and it's gone. Do you find it anywhere in Canada? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I checked my spam and didn't find your comments.

      Delete
  5. Red,
    The oversight regarding the closure needed for the loss of Alisi's child underscores the complexity of navigating cultural differences and addressing sensitive issues in a remote setting. It's a poignant reminder of the importance of cultural understanding and respectful engagement when working with Indigenous communities.

    Your reflection on how the northern experience changed your life speaks to the profound impact of your time in the settlement. It's clear that despite the challenges, your work left a lasting impression, shaping your perspective and deepening your understanding of community dynamics and cultural resilience.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say some powerful stuff here , John. It sounds like you have experience and education in this field. Thanks

      Delete
  6. What a complicated year that must have been for you, Red. A sad situation that you couldn't change. I wonder why they didn't have someone who was Inuit be in charge as they would be able to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there 2 years and yes there were people who could interpret but it was not at a high level.

      Delete
  7. It was quite a challenging job as administrator. The poor baby and the poor mama. They were victims of the time in many ways. You did what you knew to do, without much guidance by the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there was not much guidance or support. the government just had to hope that they had someone who could look after the place.

      Delete
  8. What a situation -- difficult for all. I don't suppose you ever heard anything more about life there after you left?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For 2 or 3 years we were still in contact .

      Delete
  9. I'll second what John's Island said.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read about some of the awful conditions of the indigenous people during this time. They were really lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that I enjoyed the whole experience.

      Delete
  11. What we "educated" people have done to the indigenous culture is a blot on our history.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot see how you could have avoided being impacted by your time in the north. Alisi's story is heartbreaking. That poor baby! But I do have a question for you. Here in the US, Indians have their own laws. Their lands are considered their own nations and autonomous. Even in the case of murderers. If it happens on the reservation, it is dealt with on the reservation. The reservation police can hand it off to the state. But the state cannot go on the reservation and arrest someone. It must be different in Canada. Or was at your time there, evidently.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, no way to get meds after she came back, I hope she didn't have any more children. A tough situation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting and good idea to capture these memories on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so very interesting life and in such an isolated area, like a different world. An amazing experience for you and MM with many challenges, this being way up there. Such a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so impressed with all your experiences, Red. You could have written a book about all your adventures in a different culture.

    ReplyDelete
  17. in such isolated place with minimum resources and so many responsibilities a young man like may find so much excitement to learn and do whatever was possible .though no one steps ahead in this era when asked to move as a teacher or doctor to rural or isolated places because people have become addicted to well provided city life .
    you liked your job because you had instinct for learning and appetite for hard work

    ReplyDelete