Saturday, March 23, 2024

BRIAN MULRONEY

       A state funeral was held today for Brian Mulroney, former Prime Minister of Canada from 1984 to 1993. 

       I knew a state funeral was coming up but I had no intention of following it. However, today CBC said that the following programs would be preempted so that the state funeral could be broadcast. The Micro Manager had her radio on and before I turned it off I was hooked into listening to the whole ceremony. It was interesting and I'm glad I listened to it. We had a good chat after it was over. 

      Brian Mulroney was first elected in 1984 with a huge majority in parliament. In the next 8 years Mulroney brought in many very important pieces of legislation which changed Canada to this day. He brought in the GST which was very unpopular , but we still have it today. He established a free trade agreement and acid rain with the United States. He helped eliminate apartheid from South Africa. He also worked very hard to make Canada a more unified country. 

    Many of the pieces of legislation brought in were very unpopular. Mulroney did not worry about that. He just carried on setting up legislation that he thought would benefit Canada. He was not worried about winning elections. He just wanted to do things that would benefit Canada. At the end of his term he lost the election big time. 

    Wouldn't it be great today if political parties focused on bring about good things for the country instead of spending most of their time trying to win the next election. 

      These things were remembered today along with his personal attributes. A funny story was told when his daughter's boyfriend asked Muloney if he could make a proposal to him about his daughter. Mulroney's reply was "What proposal?" 

I'm very glad that I listened to this ceremony today. 

30 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing man he was and how sad that he lost. I wish our politicians in the U.S. would focus on doing what's right rather than what they think will make them popular. We are certainly having a terrible thing right now. What amazed Art and me all the times we traveled to Canada is how Canadians had a better grasp of our politics than most Americans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have hit the right Canadians. I think the older people were aware but the older Americans are aware of Canada.

      Delete
  2. Brian Mulroney sounds like a great leader, I am sure he will be missed.
    Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This country often elects parties with a big majority and after some years defeats them in a big way too. This cycle is part of the Canadian way I suspect…go big or go home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since the Conservative party broke up into splinters, I don't think we'll see the big swings again.

      Delete
  4. We watched it on TV and it was very moving, with amazing music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 10 minutes before i was over I said, I'll bet this is on TV. I would like to have watched it.

      Delete
  5. I had not planned on watching the state funeral but when I got home from my walk, I turned TV on and ended up watching the last 45 minutes or so. I am glad I did! Brian Mulroney was the Commencement Speaker for my graduation from St Francis Xavier University in 1978. He also won the by-election in 1983 in my home town in Nova Scotia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool that he spoke at your Commencement. He was a great speaker.

      Delete
  6. I remember him. He was a great leader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was great friends with Ronald Reagan.

      Delete
  7. “Wouldn't it be great today if political parties focused on bring about good things for the country instead of spending most of their time trying to win the next election.” Red, you hit the nail on the head. Absolutely! Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are too busy blackmailing each other to get their own personal views.

      Delete
  8. I was a PC voter back then and always voted for the guy as well as his immediate successors. Call them what you want, but there are no longer PCs. They are Reform except in name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Th party is in splinters. I voted for John Deifenbaker once.

      Delete
  9. And there, you've hit the nail on the head, Red! If only our politicians focused on 'what is right' instead of 'what will make me popular with the voters'. Our country is at a virtual standstill and it is because no one even considers what is right anymore. Every bit of progress, no matter what area, is being impeded because no one wants to say or do the right thing. The country's best interests do not matter at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he fighting for petty personal issues ties everything up.

      Delete
  10. Oh, I remember him. I didn't realize he had died. You're SO right about politicians doing the right thing rather than the thing that might get them re-elected. Sometimes unpopular decisions are necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a reporter you would remember him. Reagan and Mulroney were great friends.

      Delete
  11. Pleasing that he is remembered as a good leader. Such men are thin on the ground these days sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. May he rest in peace! Sounds like a man who will be looked on kindly in the history books. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes , he will be looked on favorably.

      Delete
  13. I suspect such a program will not be aired on the death of our orange-haired fascist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be a program for the orange but it will be chaotic and total bull shit.

      Delete
  14. He was good but he was human!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a quick look at the funeral on you tube.
    He was obviously well loved and respected

    ReplyDelete
  16. it sounds heart warming story of a man who was in politics yet clean and honest to his land Red !
    thanks for sharing his goodness with us that is strengthening indeed

    ReplyDelete
  17. Doing the right thing seems to be so subjective these days, at least in the U.S. I admire his principles which are lacking in most politics these days, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's his stance on apartheid that I respect the most.

    ReplyDelete